• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Iowa State? That was in Ames. Sorry if I’m missing the reference.
Baylor with RGIII I think he’s referencing

Edit- he said “at Memorial”. Not sure who he’s referencing now

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Well, the Big 12 commissioner has said they want to be a coast to coast conference

I think we're the only school available on the east coast

So there's that

But damn, I 'm a basketball guy and I love the Big East and I know we can compete financially in the hoops arena. I also believe hoops is going to start bringing in significantly more money with the next round of contracts. But not football level money

c'est la vie

Reaction Score
I didn't realize it's the fastest growing state but it still has less people than Connecticut does and it's nearly 20 times larger than Connecticut. I would imagine BYU has a much larger cult following than Utah does.
Ftfy

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope, Seneca Wallace. And like BL said, that was in Ames.

Reaction Score
Its like the first ten years of the Rent doesn't exist only the last ten. Winning begets fan interest and fannies in the seats no matter what part of the country you're in. We beat a B12 team with a future pro qb at Memorial.

You’re not thinking like a university president.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We did face a Hall of Fame NFL QB back in 1986, but it was on the road and we lost to Delaware.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by "not ready yet?" They came from nothing when they joined the BE and had winning records as soon as they joined.
And it's definitely helpful that UConn can point to that precedent, but it's still far from a given that they'd be able to do it again in a much different league.

Point is, UConn's simply too big a risk for the Big 12 right now. If Mora can build the thing as an Independent, it would go a long way towards re-assuring them that the floor here is high enough to warrant an invite. It's unfair, but it's the reality of UConn's situation. The bar to join the Big 12 is still pretty high, and UConn - because of the toll realignment has taken on the football fan base in particular - isn't near it.

Reaction Score

i get the feeling we are never gonna be on the big tens list.

In 10 years UConn may be in a very different place and may be a contender, as long as football improves and research output is drastically higher. An on campus stadium would help too.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think you have to do it. What we really need is the NCAA to split revenue and non-revenue conference affiliations. There's no reason for field hockey to be travelling to Houston for a game on a Tuesday in 2023. Let football and basketball do their own thing for ungodly sums of money and bring back truly regional conferences for non-revenue sports.
Long term I think there will be two major conferences,
SEC and Big 10. Need to get in one of those.

Reaction Score
Disagree - I think it will be the B1G, the SEC, and a large third conference that will have regional pods that funnel its top fb teams into the CFP and bb tourney and facilitate the other Olympic/non-revenue sports in a cost-effective way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

College athletics will be irrelevant if that happens. There is no way that graduates of one school that used to be at the highest level of college athletics will EVER remain fans of college sports if their school is prevented from competing at the highest level. Also, if college athletics looks too much like a minor league, the NFL and NBA will step in and just take it from the schools. There is no scenario in which 30 schools dominate a nationally followed college league in football or basketball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
College athletics will be irrelevant if that happens. There is no way that graduates of one school that used to be at the highest level of college athletics will EVER remain fans of college sports if their school is prevented from competing at the highest level. Also, if college athletics looks too much like a minor league, the NFL and NBA will step in and just take it from the schools. There is no scenario in which 30 schools dominate a nationally followed college league in football or basketball.
Yep. There will be at least 4 big conferences and what’s left for the 5th will be lot better than the AAC was. MWC probably gets to be pretty solid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, are you telling me I don't have to drink sterno when reading the boneyard?
Well you don't have to drink it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom