Poll: Do you know all the words to the UConn fight song? | The Boneyard

Poll: Do you know all the words to the UConn fight song?

Reaction Score
Born from another thread. No middle ground. If you kind of know most of the words? That’s a no.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I've heard the song and would recognize it, but off the top of my head, I don't even know what the song sounds like. Feel free to dislike this post to oblivion.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm sure I've heard the song and would recognize it, but off the top of my head, I don't even know what the song sounds like. Feel free to dislike this post to oblivion.
Oh you know the tune. I had a bottle opener that played it, until I wore it out and the battery died.

I may not know the words, but three years of Latin in high school taught me that “alumni” is plural.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We sang it about 2 dozen times during orientation, and more during Husky WoW (Week of Welcome), Freshman year, in the mid-90s. Plus one of my good friends dated a FB/MBB cheerleader our Senior year, who would constantly sing the song, complete with the arm motions.

It's ingrained.

on the other hand, I wouldn't know the tune of the Alma Mater/School song, let alone the words, if I had to pick it out of a lineup.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Oh you know the tune. I had a bottle opener that played it, until I wore it out and the battery died.
This is the one: if only they made it with the lyrics, I would know them!

Reaction Score
Graduated 11 years ago and still know every word. Honestly kind of shocked how many alums in the poll don't know.

To be fair, I think most other major athletic universities do a much better job than UConn of integrating it throughout the college experience.

I went for my Masters... and now a post-masters thing. I haven't stepped on campus for academics more than once in my life. All my stuff is in Hartford. Might have something to do with the statistic being less than you'd expect. I'd imagine undergrads know more having primarily lived on campus.

Reaction Score
Graduated 11 years ago and still know every word. Honestly kind of shocked how many alums in the poll don't know.

To be fair, I think most other major athletic universities do a much better job than UConn of integrating it throughout the college experience.
I just never paid attention to it. All I hear in my head is UUUUUUCooooon Huskies, dooooo do do do... We're not USC where the players stand in front of the band and make a big spectacle of it.

Reaction Score
I have to say, the lyrics to fight songs and school songs in general are dumb and almost always horrible. I've never paid any attention to them.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I know more words of the Michigan fight song than the UConn one and I went to UConn.

Reaction Score
I just never paid attention to it. All I hear in my head is UUUUUUCooooon Huskies, dooooo do do do... We're not USC where the players stand in front of the band and make a big spectacle of it.
My point exactly.

We've never made a big show of it like other schools do. I think it's mostly a football thing and obviously, that's never been our strength traditionally.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

I may not know the words, but three years of Latin in high school taught me that “alumni” is plural.
Mine, too. But, know that that battery is replaceable.

Also, the singular for alumni is either alumnus (masculine), or alumna (feminine).

For those who might be offended by such a binary choice, those were the only two genders recognized by the Romans.

If you have a beef, it is with them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mine, too. But, know that that battery is replaceable.

Also, the singular for alumni is either alumnus (masculine), or alumna (feminine).

For those who might be offended by such a binary choice, those were the only two genders recognized by the Romans.

If you have a beef, it is with them.
“Alum” now works for either though, and all points in between.

Didn’t know the battery was replaceable.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
And as for the fight song words....I remember all of them, but somewhat different than the official version.

So it is a no.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
“Alum” now works for either though, and all points in between.
I think it is called the declention of a noun (but my recollection of Latin is sketchier than my recollection of the words to the fight song).

-us, -a, -um (I only just now remembered the neuter)are the singular. -i is the plural for all three.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think it is called the declention of a noun (but my recollection of Latin is sketchier than my recollection of the words to the fight song).

-us, -a, -um (I only just now remembered the neuter)are the singular. -i is the plural for all three.
Yes, declension.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

My favorite SNAFU regarding latin and gender was when Vanessa Williams sang the anthem at a Cuse game, and Cuse announced her as an "alumnus"

Unless there is news there, she's clearly not an alumnus. Maybe an alumna, or alumnae, or alumni, but not alumnus.

Reaction Score
Never learned the words and as a student and now I've carried over my own tradition from student days of singing the melody with mostly nonsense sounds, save for the occasional "UConn", "Connecticut" or "Huskies" thrown in there.

Por ejemplo:

UConn Husky
Da-nuh-nuhhhh nuh-nuh-nuh
fight, fight Connecticut
da-nuh-nuh, de doo.......

...and so on.

If you don't know the words, or even if you do, I recommend giving it a try.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom