Podcast - Nova can win the Big East | The Boneyard

Podcast - Nova can win the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not a Marquette believer as the league sets up for next year, but UConn, Nova, Creighton, Xavier, St Johns, seems like a murderers row, with Marquette, Seton Hall, and Providence as tough outs, and Georgetown improved. Butler and Depaul will take their lumps. Big East, coupled with our out of conference schedule of national beasts, is a formidable schedule. Clingan's ability to stay on the floor with health, lack of foul trouble, and endurance, is really our key to success in this gauntlet IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Marquette believer as the league sets up for next year, but UConn, Nova, Creighton, Xavier, St Johns, seems like a murderers row, with Marquette, Seton Hall, and Providence as tough outs, and Georgetown improved. Butler and Depaul will take their lumps. Big East, coupled with our out of conference schedule of national beasts, is a formidable schedule. Clingan's ability to stay on the floor with health, lack of foul trouble, and endurance, is really our key to success in this gauntlet IMO.
Any reason you don't like Marquette next year? They return everyone except Maxence-Prosper from a team that won the Big East and bring in a solid recruiting class

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Any reason you don't like Marquette next year? They return everyone except Maxence-Prosper from a team that won the Big East and bring in a solid recruiting class

I don't know if they'll win the league but they should definitely be very good. O-Max is a huge loss though.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they'll win the league but they should definitely be very good. O-Max is a huge loss though.
He's definitely a big loss, but he was also their 4th best player by all the advanced metrics. I doubt they repeat as champs, but that's mostly because I think UConn and Creighton are top 10 teams in the country and it's always tough to repeat

Reaction Score

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Reaction Score
@navery12 I'm not down on Marquette, I just think they overachieved last year. My opinion is skewed a bit by perhaps overweighting the beat down we gave them here. I just see them 3-6 in the Big East next year which would still have them an NCAA team but sweating out selection Sunday. Comes from my gut rather than evidence based.

Reaction Score
He's definitely a big loss, but he was also their 4th best player by all the advanced metrics. I doubt they repeat as champs, but that's mostly because I think UConn and Creighton are top 10 teams in the country and it's always tough to repeat
How about his defensive metrics? He was the guy they stuck on Hawkins in the BET and it won them the game.

Reaction Score
How about his defensive metrics? He was the guy they stuck on Hawkins in the BET and it won them the game.
He was by far their lowest rated rotation player by DBPM, 5th was defensive win shares, and 4th in D-PRPG (the defensive portion of Bart Torvik's player rating), DRTG was 104.2. So about the same as his overall impact. He's a great player, just don't think it's a back-breaking loss

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@navery12 I'm not down on Marquette, I just think they overachieved last year. My opinion is skewed a bit by perhaps overweighting the beat down we gave them here. I just see them 3-6 in the Big East next year which would still have them an NCAA team but sweating out selection Sunday. Comes from my gut rather than evidence based.
How do you look at a team that we went 1-2 against including a BET semi loss and say they overachieved when we won a natty? That’s peak boneyarding.

Reaction Score
He didnt say he should be fired, just that he wasnt very good.

He's getting his chance.
How do we know?

He certainly isn't experienced as a head coach. He coached his one season without his best player and without a point guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How do we know?

He certainly isn't experienced as a head coach. He coached his one season without his best player and without a point guard.
His first season was at Fordham. That’s a closer reflection of where he belongs. It’s another case of a school trying to hire off the coaching tree rather than hiring the best candidate.

Reaction Score
How do you look at a team that we went 1-2 against including a BET semi loss and say they overachieved when we won a natty? That’s peak boneyarding.
I think you spelled it out. We won a national championship beating all comers by double digits, I think we had the better team, I'd take our team over theirs in a heartbeat on paper, we have multiple players turning pro, and a 7'2 phenom freshman. They have none of that yet they beat us twice. Isn't that the epitome of over achieving? Otherwise, aren't you arguing they were the better team?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His first season was at Fordham. That’s a closer reflection of where he belongs. It’s another case of a school trying to hire off the coaching tree rather than hiring the best candidate.
Come on, you don't think I know he coached at Fordham for one season?

At least give him this season with a healthy squad and a lot of talent to assess how much he stinks.

Reaction Score
I think you spelled it out. We won a national championship beating all comers by double digits, I think we had the better team, I'd take our team over theirs in a heartbeat on paper, we have multiple players turning pro, and a 7'2 phenom freshman. They have none of that yet they beat us twice. Isn't that the epitome of over achieving? Otherwise, aren't you arguing they were the better team?
There is overachieving and getting fortunate somehow... and then there is going 20-3 against Big East teams while being a top 10 KenPom team (no Providence shenanigans).

They were legit and now they are returning 8 of their 9 rotation guys. There's no chance they're a bubble team.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We’ve matched up very well with them over the last few years. We should’ve been 2-0 against them in conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom