Poconos stopover between Niagara and NYC | The Boneyard

Poconos stopover between Niagara and NYC

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Hello folks, we're entertaining my father-in-law who is visiting from asia for a month. We will be driving to Niagara from Boston and then from Niagara to NYC. It looks like we could squeeze in a stop in the Poconos to break up a day's ride from Niagara to NYC. Anyone have suggestions? We have 2 kids, 5 & 7, and grandpa doesn't speak english. Bonus if you can recommend anything to do between western MA and Niagara as well. Not sure what the bonus prize is, but it will probably be pretty cool.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Howe Caverns is basically on the route between western Massachusetts and Niagara Falls.

If you take 88 to 81 to 90 (or stay on 88 to 390) instead of just going 90, you can hit Cooperstown.

Caves and baseball don't require a lot of translation.

Reaction Score
The Poconos is somewhat off the direct course from Niagara Falls to NYC unless you take I-81 South from Binghamton to Scranton and then I-380 to I-80 versus taking Route 17 in Binghamton through the Catskills to I-87 (if you go that way, watch out for the damn speed traps on Route 17 in Windsor NJ just east of Binghamton). The Poconos in the summer have lake homes, the mountain and water park resorts (Great Wolf, Camelback, Kalahari), and the NASCAR track. if that's what you father-in-law and kids are into he is into, cool. If not, I would stay overnight in either Watkins Glen or Ithaca. Both have more culture, restaurants, hikes, waterfalls, and even a bit of NASCAR and are generally cool towns to visit. Plus, it breaks-up the drive nicely as its just a 3 1/2 to 4 hours drive back to the City. The eastern Poconos where the afore mentioned waterparks are is just a 2 1/2 hour drive from NYC via the always gorgeous Delaware Water Gap.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love the Ithaca suggestion. Beautiful area, especially if you're outdoorsy. Might also consider Lake George for the kids. And Saratoga Springs for the adults.

Reaction Score
Storyland still there? Sort of jesting, but if yes maybe Gramps may enjoy observing grandchildren in action? No translation required

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I haven't lived in the Northeast since 1986. But if I was up there, I couldn't pass up the Baseball Hall of Fame.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Alright, howe's caverns was option 1 but that was nixed as they are closed on Thursday. Plan is for a stopover in either Ithaca or Watkins Glen. We're leaning toward the Cornell Botanical gardens. Any must-do items in Ithaca? The suggested restaurants look good but one isn't open for lunch and while I love tapas the kids will not. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Reaction Score
Alright, howe's caverns was option 1 but that was nixed as they are closed on Thursday. Plan is for a stopover in either Ithaca or Watkins Glen. We're leaning toward the Cornell Botanical gardens. Any must-do items in Ithaca? The suggested restaurants look good but one isn't open for lunch and while I love tapas the kids will not. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Looks like Howe Cavern is open daily from 9 AM to 6 PM as of June 28th. With kids, likely can't spend all day hitting all of the vineyards on Cayuga, though you do need to hit at least one. Walking around Cornell's campus is nice and free. On each side of the campus, there are well marked and developed trails up both gorges, though I believe the north one has bigger waterfalls. Along the same line, just to the north of Ithaca (need to drive) is Taughannock Falls State Park, which is speculator when the water is following (it has been very wet in upstate NY this spring). To the south of downtown is Buttermilk Falls and Treman State Park, the later has a swimming area. I also believe that Ithaca as a small kid's science center downtown. Lastly, find an events calendar as the city has a lot of events in downtown on State Street (pedestrian mall) and the lakefront in the summer. I haven't eaten in Ithaca in a while; but, Ithaca Beer and Ithaca Ale House are still open according to some friends, which is in addition to several scenic joints along the waterfront in the summer.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Regarding food - Brunch at Carriage House is good, but may be overkill for kids. Gimme! Coffee is superb for coffee/pastries and their joe is pretty much served at most decent places in addition to their own cafes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom