Please provide one downside to this | The Boneyard

Please provide one downside to this

Reaction Score
Pull out a map and tell me why this wouldn’t work, or if there’s even a possibility that this is not optimal in every facet:

BIG east:

North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Syracuse
UCONN
Boston College

BIG central:

Ohio State
MSU
Michigan
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

BIG mountain:

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Utah

BIG west

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

NCAA is abandoned and a new governing body with teeth and a backbone is created. A 4-team playoff of division winners with championship game in the Rose Bowl, maybe afterwards even an NC against the winner of the SEC. How could that not create the greatest rivalries, the most prestigious flagship schools, and the most lucrative media deal in history? Please offer one downside to this option.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Replace UConn with Pitt and I think you're onto something. You need to pitch this to... someone.

Reaction Score
Where do you see this expansion ending at? I believe it will end with FOUR conferences of 24 members. This number should work for all sports scheduling. And will make it as good as 24 the Kiefer Sutherland show. A Playoff for football can still be had but with eight teams. The best from each conference then the next best four available as an example.

The BIG 24 NORTH will include all current teams in the league and will add eight AAU members. This conference spans from sea to shining sea, which is what is written in articles. This league can also add other AAU institutions if it wanted to go over the 24 count.

BIG 24 NORTH -- California; Duke; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Maryland; Michigan; Michigan State; Minnesota; Nebraska; North Carolina; Northwestern; Ohio State; Oregon; Penn state; Purdue; Rutgers; Stanford; UCLA; USC; Utah; Virginia; Washington and Wisconsin.

The BIG 24 SOUTH will remain the powerhouse that it is now. They raid the ACC and Big 12 for schools that help them the most. Florida reluctantly gives in to pressure and says yes to Miami joining the conference. This conference still has the upper leverage with TV money so basically they can invite whomever they wish.

Big 24 SOUTH -- Alabama; Arkansas; Auburn; Clemson; Florida; Florida State; Georgia; Georgia Tech; Kansas; Kentucky; LSU; Miami; Mississippi; Mississippi State; Missouri; North Carolina State; Oklahoma; Oklahoma State; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Texas A&M; Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech.

The BIG 24 EAST and BIG 24 WEST will comprise of the leftover Big 12 and ACC schools along with a few others. The only significant change is that West Virginia jumps from the South to the East. The EAST will have member institutions running up and down the coastline with a few exceptions. The WEST also has members running up their seashores and to Eastern Texas.

BIG 24 EAST -- Army; Boston College; Buffalo; Charlotte; Cincinnati; Coastal Carolina; Connecticut; East Carolina; Florida International; Georgia State; Liberty; Louisville; Marshall; Massachusetts; Memphis; Navy; Notre Dame; Pittsburgh; Syracuse; Temple; UCF; USF; Wake Forest and West Virginia.

BIG 24 WEST -- Air Force; Arizona; Arizona State; Baylor; Boise State; BYU; Colorado; Colorado State; Fresno State; Houston; Iowa State; Kansas State; Nevada; Oregon State; San Diego State; San Jose State; SMU; TCU; Texas Tech; Tulane; Tulsa; UNLV; Utah State and Washington State.

Notre Dame because of their affiliation with NBC will stay as an Independent for Football. But will play all other sports in the BIG 24 EAST. All leftover FBS D-1 members will now become Pods of 11-Plus colleges. That's all 131 schools for now.

RED POD -- Akron; Ball State; Bowling Green; Central Michigan; Eastern Michigan; Kent State; Miami-(Ohio); Northern Illinois; Ohio; Toledo; Western Michigan

WHITE POD -- Appalachian State; Arkansas State; Florida Atlantic; Georgia Southern; James Madison; Middle Tennessee; Old Dominion; South Alabama; Troy; UAB; Western Kentucky

BLUE POD -- Hawaii; Louisiana Tech; New Mexico; New Mexico State; North Texas; Rice; UL Lafayette; UL Monore; Southern Mississippi; Texas State; UTEP; UTSA; Wyoming

This was my fun for the day. Let’s see what happens tomorrow reality wise.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Pull out a map and tell me why this wouldn’t work, or if there’s even a possibility that this is not optimal in every facet:

BIG east:

North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Syracuse
UCONN
Boston College

BIG central:

Ohio State
MSU
Michigan
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

BIG mountain:

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Utah

BIG west

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

NCAA is abandoned and a new governing body with teeth and a backbone is created. A 4-team playoff of division winners with championship game in the Rose Bowl, maybe afterwards even an NC against the winner of the SEC. How could that not create the greatest rivalries, the most prestigious flagship schools, and the most lucrative media deal in history? Please offer one downside to this option.

Thanks.

Money. Each and every school that doesn’t bring what they are already making lose money for the schools. If they are talking $100 million a year for each school, each addition has to add an average if $100 million. They may take a very small hit for more exposure in a certain area (looking at you GT and Stanford) or a true academic powerhouse (UVA or Stanford/Cal).

Honestly, I think they each go to 20 (for now) and see what happens in 2025. As much as I would love to have UCONN in the Big10 (my previous time here shows that), I just don’t see it at this time. Maybe down the road, but this round is all about established football brands in places they aren’t.

Reaction Score
Your on a UConn board with a UConn avatar advocating we don't get into the Big whatever on someone else's fantasy list? I am confused to say the least?

Pitt is an AAU school with a much better football program in a football recruiting hotbed. Do you mean other than that why would one think that between Pitt and UConn the Big Howevermany would pick Pitt?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Seems like they are just buying out the rest of CFB. Do conferences really matter at 20 teams? Aren't just dividing up by media sponsors? The BE has a contract with Fox, wouldn't that mean we are already in the Big 24+?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Pitt is an AAU school with a much better football program in a football recruiting hotbed. Do you mean other than that why would one think that between Pitt and UConn the Big Howevermany would pick Pitt?
And BC is on that list. If he said replace Pitt with BC, I could understand.

Reaction Score

BIG east:

North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Syracuse
UCONN
Boston College

BIG central:

Ohio State
MSU
Michigan
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

BIG mountain:

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Utah

BIG west

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Thanks.
It won’t happen because the teams in the current B1G would have to take a massive cut in revenue and that’s not happening.

Reaction Score
Your on a UConn board with a UConn avatar advocating we don't get into the Big whatever on someone else's fantasy list? I am confused to say the least?
It was stated to provide one downside. I picked the one school included that isn't in a power anything and replaced it with a school that is. I could have chosen several other schools. My comment was sarcastic which I know fly's like a lead balloon around here. No harm meant, I pray my post is not the downfall of UConn athletics. I truly want the best for UConn and for them to be included in the athletic, academic and financial situation that is most ideally suited for them. I love this place!

Reaction Score
Seems like they are just buying out the rest of CFB. Do conferences really matter at 20 teams? Aren't just dividing up by media sponsors? The BE has a contract with Fox, wouldn't that mean we are already in the Big 24+?
Exactly, let's just call it what it is. ESPN vs. FOX. Eventually it will be the fighting Netflixes vs. The fighting Amazon Primes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Gorillas!
gorillas?

Gorillaz!

'cuz i don't know whack...'

on the udder hand,
'don't stop, get it, get it...

follow the money. that part seems easy.
and, iffn i put up 'i like dreaming' instead, my thoughts would be ACC. that one seems possible. it would sure make me feel good.

Reaction Score
Exactly, let's just call it what it is. ESPN vs. FOX. Eventually it will be the fighting Netflixes vs. The fighting Amazon Primes.
Apple TV might get involved too.

Reaction Score
The down side of the OP’s post is that it ignores the core dynamic that is behind the recent realignment moves. Colleges which are revenue generators no longer want their revenue to be redistributed among schools which can’t “bring home the bacon.” Texas in the Big XII was the classic example of this. They left for the SEC so that they could keep more of the money which they bring in. I’s as simple as that.

Conferences aren’t getting bigger just for the sake of getting bigger. BC may be physically located in the Boston market, but they have proven during their time in the ACC that they don’t enhance a conference’s revenue. Future realignment moves will be all about bringing together colleges which are all revenue producers. Conferences which have dead wood are the ones most likely to be cherry picked.

The B1G is not going to go to four 8-team divisions just for the sake of pulling together 32 schools. It’s far more likely that they go to 20 or 24 and stop there. As the OP list shows, there aren’t enough revenue producers to justify this kind of move.

Conferences were originally formed during the last century for reasons which are no longer relevant. Bus and train travel were the primary means of transportation. Radio was more important than cable and streaming didn’t exist. These current moves are the way that conferences are being brought into the realities of the 21st century.

It’s interesting to go back 60-65 years to look at the membership in pro sports leagues. The NBA had franchises in Syracuse, Rochester, and Fort Wayne. There was no Major League Baseball on the West Coast. It’s harder to realign college sports leagues but it’s slowly happening.

Reaction Score

BIG east:

North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
Syracuse
UCONN
Boston College

BIG central:

Ohio State
MSU
Michigan
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

BIG mountain:

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Utah

BIG west

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Thanks.
As others have said, many of these schools will reduce the payout for the current B1G Teams.

In general, many of the 13 private schools that have enjoyed many years in the P5 are now in trouble. So far, only USC, NW, and Vandy are/will be in the P2, and the last 2 were grandfathered in and may not stay. ND will join at some point. I can't see any of the other 9 joining (Syr, BC, Wake, Duke, Miami, TCU, Baylor, Stan, BYU). And for that, I thank you.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the ACC falls apart and both UConn and BC are left behind it would be fitting if UConn blocks BC from the Big East.

The other catholic private schools would overrule that. Depending on how many orphans remain, remaining an independent FB program could become untenable.

Reaction Score
It won’t happen because the teams in the current B1G would have to take a massive cut in revenue and that’s not happening.

I heard someone on BSPN say something similar and I’m extremely skeptical of that angle. If the BIG goes to 32 prestigious teams with all of them being the flagship schools in their state, and they control college athletics in every region of the country, save the southeast, wouldn’t that conference command more than 1 billion? Each school doesn’t have to bring a particular amount, but rather the collective is what increases the value. Is the BIG locked into a particular deal right now, and if so, when is it up for renegotiation is the question?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom