Pizza steel plate v stone | The Boneyard

Pizza steel plate v stone

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have a countertop oven I use to bake pan pizza. I'm thinking of getting a steel plate for it so I have more options for pizza styles. I have a stone for my built-in oven but that thing takes forever to heat up and I'm sure uses significantly more energy as it's a much larger space. The smaller oven, a Breville Smart Oven Air, heats up very quickly and also has a convection option. There's just my wife and I, so we don't need to bake huge pizzas. A 12"x15" steel slab would do the trick. My stone is too large for the countertop oven.

Anyone here bake enough pizzas on both stone and steel to offer personal experience on whether steel is significantly better? Also, are they simple to maintain & reseason?

Reaction Score
I have a countertop oven I use to bake pan pizza. I'm thinking of getting a steel plate for it so I have more options for pizza styles. I have a stone for my built-in oven but that thing takes forever to heat up and I'm sure uses significantly more energy as it's a much larger space. The smaller oven, a Breville Smart Oven Air, heats up very quickly and also has a convection option. There's just my wife and I, so we don't need to bake huge pizzas. A 12"x15" steel slab would do the trick. My stone is too large for the countertop oven.

Anyone here bake enough pizzas on both stone and steel to offer personal experience on whether steel is significantly better? Also, are they simple to maintain & reseason?

I prefer the steel by a lot. Prefer a steel on bottom with a stone 1 rack in my oven above best. Make sure to preheat them way longer than you think you need to and the za will be great

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Steel all day for that application.

Ask @notthestuff he’s pizza steel master. I have an outdoor pizza oven and he makes better pizza than I do on indoor oven with steel.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Steels all the way when I am making pizza inside. Similar to mentioned above use two steels or stones in the oven, one in the bottom third of the oven the other in the top third. Preheat them for an hour or longer at the highest temp your oven will allow before you start tossing some pizzas on them.

Taking care of stone and steels are very similar. I treat my steels like cast iron. Clean with warm water and a light oil after use. With the stones you just do not oil them. A simple warm water scrub will do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also used the steel as a griddle and as a cold plate after some time in the freezer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom