Pitt Scoop? Or, pure conjecture? | The Boneyard

Pitt Scoop? Or, pure conjecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The following linked site may be rubbish, but it's an interesting read on the hows and whys Pitt and Syracuse may have finally said "enough is enough with the Providence ineptitude".
Actually it all sounds very believable. The Villanova upgrade was a joke. And Providence had to "take care of Providence" (The basketball only schools.) A good league was ruined due to poor leadership.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The bulk of the initial post in that thread is very credible. I still am stunned by the Nova proposal (and that some actually believed it was a real plan).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The initial post on the NCAABBS board is utter BS. He is just another poster taking shots at the hoops schools because he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is almost no "inside" information at all in that post. It is mostly his opinions with a justification for why Pitt and Syracuse split that he claims he has inside information about. Cantor and Nordenberg could have gone to the football schools at any point and proposed a split. They didn't, which means the Yinzer post is probably a fantasy.

Most credible reports are that this happened very quickly. Swofford somehow strongarmed Syracuse and Pitt to leave, probably by threatening to take UConn and Rutgers if they didn't move immediately. Rather than approach the Big East and tell them what was happening, which is what anyone with an ounce of integrity would have done, Pitt and Syracuse bolted and screwed their partners for less money than they would have made in the next Big East TV deal.

Reaction Score
The initial post on the NCAABBS board is utter BS. He is just another poster taking shots at the hoops schools because he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is almost no "inside" information at all in that post. It is mostly his opinions with a justification for why Pitt and Syracuse split that he claims he has inside information about. Cantor and Nordenberg could have gone to the football schools at any point and proposed a split. They didn't, which means the Yinzer post is probably a fantasy.

Most credible reports are that this happened very quickly. Swofford somehow strongarmed Syracuse and Pitt to leave, probably by threatening to take UConn and Rutgers if they didn't move immediately. Rather than approach the Big East and tell them what was happening, which is what anyone with an ounce of integrity would have done, Pitt and Syracuse bolted and screwed their partners for less money than they would have made in the next Big East TV deal.

Swofford is just like BC, all powerful. He can strong arm schools to move just like BC can force the ACC to exclude Uconn. It is hard to deny that the conference football plan to add a TX school and have Nova upgrade was, to be generous, weak. Despite your belief that a mega TV deal was in the works for the BE from Comcast, it was speculative at best and a pipe dream at worst. Cuse and Pitt wanted out because they wanted stability, more guaranteed money and a conference that does not try to serve two masters. I bet they let everyone know they wanted major changes in the BE but they knew there was no chance of it happening. Not when the leadership is beholden to basketball.

Reaction Score
Even if most of this is plausible (who knows?), if I'm the AD at either Clemson or FSU I'm not even close to being satisfied by the additions of Pitt or SU. Adding Rutgers or UConn does little, and if i'm them I'd be praying for a SEC invite. From everything we're hearing there will be no Texas, WVU (academics), or ND (unless the ACC wants them for everything but football), so the league has improved only in basketball, not the intended football that Swofford was going after. I'm at a loss as to what an ACC invitation would do for us. Some say stability, but if Clemson and FSU leave, doesn't VT start packing their bags? Forget about Miami because they're in the with violations for at least 3 more years, but I ask how does this help us, if things in the ACC are not close to being settled?
I don't know, perhaps I'm just blinded by my pure hatred of Swofford, but I can't see that conference ever doing anything to help UConn!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Swofford is just like BC, all powerful. He can strong arm schools to move just like BC can force the ACC to exclude Uconn. It is hard to deny that the conference football plan to add a TX school and have Nova upgrade was, to be generous, weak. Despite your belief that a mega TV deal was in the works for the BE from Comcast, it was speculative at best and a pipe dream at worst. Cuse and Pitt wanted out because they wanted stability, more guaranteed money and a conference that does not try to serve two masters. I bet they let everyone know they wanted major changes in the BE but they knew there was no chance of it happening. Not when the leadership is beholden to basketball.

None of what you say is true or makes any sense.

Please show me where Villanova was joining the Big East football conference. If you can show me that, then I will change my tune. If you can't show me that, then everyone can assume that the rest of your theory is as false as your Villanova assertion. Also, FYI, Villanova didn't want to upgrade. they wanted to keep the option, but they were not begging the league to upgrade their football program.

Syracuse was actually one of the staunchest supporters of the 16 team conference and basketball schools, and actually was supportive of Villanova joining the football conference.

TCU was convinced to join the Big East in a large part because of Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Pitt was leading the charge to bring in the Horned Frogs.

Nordenberg from Pitt lead the charge to turn down the ESPN offer of $11MM/year for the football schools because he expected a much bigger offer down the road. In fact, Marinatto's near acceptance of that offer pissed off several of the hoops and football schools. Luck, Pederson (Pitt's AD) and several others had made comments over the summer that they expected the next Big East TV contract to be in line with those of the other BCS leagues.

So you are wrong on every point. Thanks for sharing though.

Cuse and Pitt were not only on board with the Big East, but leading the charge until something changed in the last few weeks. Who knows what that was, but whatever it was spooked them

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I'm at a loss as to what an ACC invitation would do for us.

Joining the ACC insures UConn to be in a east coast based, BCS-autobid conference, which will have the strongest hoop confernece in the nation. If UConn is added as the 15th & 3 teams leave, - then Louisville, VU & Rutgers will be added.

There is no downside, other than making a deal with the devil.

Reaction Score
Using the 'Nova decision as an excuse for Pitt and Syracuse is just dishonest. Was Nova's stadium plan stupid? Yes, it was. But PRovidence can't forcee Nova into the football conference -- only the football schools could. So it was never going to happen unless the football schools wanted it to. It was no reason to leave the conference.

Reaction Score
Any coincidence that two of the three "best" FB schools in the ACC are the worst academically? VT is not one of the three worst--substitute NC State for #3. It is possible to have a good academic school good in FB in the ACC, but only occasionally unless you want SEC type (not you, Vandy) institutions. FSU and Clemson won't get their wish 'cause there aren't any available suitable FB powers available except ND that aren't marginal or perceived marginal academically. ACC will always be a great BB conference and just OK in FB, no matter what Swofford does, but stable especially should their academic losers go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Rubbish. I read that initially a day and a half after the news came out and the guy was making all sorts of claims based on stuff that had already been linked.

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing with you Husky V, you may be right about happens 3 years from now. It's just that the assumption is that the BE is basically a dead conference for the BCS, and this is just an assumption. No one knows what will happen. I think that SU made the right move because they recruit nationally and may not be hurt by playing in the ACC, and they don't recruit in basketball much in NYC. We do, and I just don't know if this will end up hurting us. As for Pitt, I think that they made a terrible mistake in basketball unless they're going to move to a "softer" ACC type of game. Also, they pretty much suck in football and that isn't going to improve by going to the ACC.
All of this seems to based on a 16 team four conference that may or may not happen.

Reaction Score
None of what you say is true or makes any sense.

Please show me where Villanova was joining the Big East football conference. If you can show me that, then I will change my tune. If you can't show me that, then everyone can assume that the rest of your theory is as false as your Villanova assertion. Also, FYI, Villanova didn't want to upgrade. they wanted to keep the option, but they were not begging the league to upgrade their football program.

Syracuse was actually one of the staunchest supporters of the 16 team conference and basketball schools, and actually was supportive of Villanova joining the football conference.

TCU was convinced to join the Big East in a large part because of Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Pitt was leading the charge to bring in the Horned Frogs.

Nordenberg from Pitt lead the charge to turn down the ESPN offer of $11MM/year for the football schools because he expected a much bigger offer down the road. In fact, Marinatto's near acceptance of that offer pissed off several of the hoops and football schools. Luck, Pederson (Pitt's AD) and several others had made comments over the summer that they expected the next Big East TV contract to be in line with those of the other BCS leagues.

So you are wrong on every point. Thanks for sharing though.

Cuse and Pitt were not only on board with the Big East, but leading the charge until something changed in the last few weeks. Who knows what that was, but whatever it was spooked them
Thanks, a voice of reason in a sea of panic and rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom