Pillow Suggestions - Shoulder Pain | The Boneyard

Pillow Suggestions - Shoulder Pain

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Hey folks, wondering if any of you might have some ideas for this issue I’m having.

I sleep on my side and tend to keep my arm up and under the pillow, sort of supporting my head/pillow. From what I’ve read that’s not a great sleep position, and I’m starting to notice it with some serious shoulder pain. I’ve seen a number of sites that claim to address this problem, but I’m kinda at information overload so I’m looking for some suggestions from you fine people. I know we’ve had extensive discussions about mattresses on here, but can anyone recommend a good pillow for dealing with shoulder pain in that kind of sleep position?

Thanks in advance y’all!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I do the same. Several years ago someone recommended the Tempurpedic neck pillow and it‘s been a huge improvement.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Saatva is pricey but a damn nice pillow.

I’m a side sleeper too, but not sure what it’ll do for shoulder pain.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Get one of those big chopped up memory foam pillows. They are amazingly comfortable for side sleepers. Surprisingly, they’re not bad if you flip on your back either because it molds around your neck. If your pillow is supporting your neck you won’t feel compelled to shove your arm underneath and that may help your shoulder issue.

UKemba15

Reaction Score
Coop - you’re welcome.
I like the idea of an adjustable pillow. A buddy recommended Eli & Elm, but honestly I probly trust 90% of this board more than I trust him lol. Did you start using Coop for any specific reason, or just a good quality pillow?

UKemba15

Reaction Score
Saatva is pricey but a damn nice pillow.

I’m a side sleeper too, but not sure what it’ll do for shoulder pain.
At this point I don’t really care about price…if I can find something that works then it’s worth the investment. My brother has a Saatva mattress that he swears by, so I’ll give these a look for sure, thank you.

UKemba15

Reaction Score
Get one of those big chopped up memory foam pillows. They are amazingly comfortable for side sleepers. Surprisingly, they’re not bad if you flip on your back either because it molds around your neck. If your pillow is supporting your neck you won’t feel compelled to shove your arm underneath and that may help your shoulder issue.
I’ve been looking at those but I’m a little hesitant buying one online…I feel like I’d wanna test out the styles to find what works. Or are you talking about like a “one size fits all” type thing?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ve been looking at those but I’m a little hesitant buying one online…I feel like I’d wanna test out the styles to find what works. Or are you talking about like a “one size fits all” type thing?
I’m looking at the Coop right now (thanks @Zionn ) and I see they have free shipping and a 100-night trial. And 10% off if you sign up for emails and texts.

UKemba15

Reaction Score
I do the same. Several years ago someone recommended the Tempurpedic neck pillow and it‘s been a huge improvement.
Tempurpedic is where I started my search just cuz I’m most familiar with them. I’m pretty much comparing alternative suggestions to the tempurpedic mainstays right now to see which comes out on top lol. Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll take a closer look at their neck pillow!

CL82

Reaction Score
I randomly bought one. Like you I was just ready to try something new. For me, my neck pain got better every night until it disappeared. Really, what do you have to lose?

UKemba15

Reaction Score
I’m looking at the Coop right now (thanks @Zionn ) and I see they have free shipping and a 100-night trial. And 10% off if you sign up for emails and texts.
Hah! I saw that too and bought one…figured I might as well pull the trigger and give it a shot.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is the one I got

320DEDB0-7FAE-48B5-9824-8E6803A28208.jpeg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ten days with a Coop you'll throw it out the window yelling, "Next!!"

Reaction Score
Ten days with a Coop you'll throw it out the window yelling, "Next!!"
Never - I've turned so many on to this pillow. Complete gamechanger.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Never - I've turned so many on to this pillow. Complete gamechanger.
Last fall I suddenly had periodic numb shoulder and hand. Went away. Now returned in both shoulders.

I'll watch this thread.

Reaction Score
I had shoulder pain about a year ago. I sleep on my side and used a relatively flat, soft pillow. I tried doubling pillows just to get weight off the shoulder. I haven’t had any recurrence since the change. Knock on wood. Cheap solution. Try it a night or two to see if it helps at all. The memory foam pillows don’t do it for me.

Reaction Score
Try a pillow between your legs/at knee level... I am a side sleeper and have wide shoulders and a narrow waist so when I sleep on my side without a pillow between my knees it puts pressure on my entire upper body to the point of shoulder pain (I know it does not sound like it would be related but it definitely is). It is unreal how just a few inches of a different position of the knees and hips can help your shoulders. Try it with any regular bed pillow - it might be the easiest fix of all for you. Give it a few nights and see if it starts to do the trick for you.

Reaction Score
Last fall I suddenly had periodic numb shoulder and hand. Went away. Now returned in both shoulders.

I'll watch this thread.
Pinched nerve? See a chiropractor?

Reaction Score
Not a pillow but cbd oil helped with my knee in the past and most recently my shoulder taken internally

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My wife has terrible neck and shoulder issues and is a side sleeper. She recently got an orthopedic pillow made by Osteo, a contour memory foam type. It’s helped her a lot. Just make sure whatever you get is readily returnable in case it isn’t the one for you.

Reaction Score
Pinched nerve? See a chiropractor?
I had the same about 10 years ago. Herniated disc between C6 and C7. Go see a doctor and get an MRI. The numbness and pain from my shoulder down to my forearm ended up going away and I go to a chiropractor once a month. I stopped going for a while after about 18 months and the pain and numbness came back. Since then I've continued the chiropractor visits and haven't had any issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom