Piath and Amari | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Piath and Amari

Reaction Score
if DeBerry is a project, consider it a recruiting failure. This was supposed to be a top recruit
deberry is not a project as I assume you suspect. she is actually a terrific talent that needs some refinement and to learn the 'uconn way'. im not worried about her missed shots as i think she will make more then she misses going forward. she struggles a bit on where to be on offense and help defense...but that is normal for a big. I have my optimism glasses on now and think she will help us significantly down the stretch.

Reaction Score
View attachment 72429
I'm throw some names at you real quickly: Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, EDD, Stewie, Stefanie Dolson, Tina Charles, Kiah Stokes
I do think you are conflating what they became as upperclassmen with how they were coming in as freshmen. Including the mental side, surely EDD, Stewie and maybe Tina (stronger, not necessarily more talented) were but Geno may have deliberately skipped the mental side when he said that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do think you are conflating what they became as upperclassmen with how they were coming in as freshmen. Including the mental side, surely EDD, Stewie and maybe Tina (stronger, not necessarily more talented) were but Geno may have deliberately skipped the mental side when he said that.
No... The quote attributed to Geno which prompted this reply was entirely inaccurate. Mentally, physically or basketball skills wise Amari was not better than any of the people I mention-even as a freshman.

Reaction Score
This quote has been much discussed and entirely misinterpreted. Geno was not comparing Amari to Stewie. There has only been a few notable bigs "since" Stevie. There was only Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens and ONO. I happen to disagree with Geno in this case & believe Azura was much more skilled than Amari even if you compare the players a freshman.
Azura came to us from Duke? as a Jr with an expected two years remaining. She left after a ND game, I believe in Albany, that we lost on a last second shot. She was not on the floor at that time and might have helped. Her game is excellent and has been well demonstrated with the recent WNBA win by Chicago. Sorry we didn't get the second year of her talent.

Reaction Score
Azura came to us from Duke? as a Jr with an expected two years remaining. She left after a ND game, I believe in Albany, that we lost on a last second shot. She was not on the floor at that time and might have helped. Her game is excellent and has been well demonstrated with the recent WNBA win by Chicago. Sorry we didn't get the second year of her talent.
Her decision cost UCONN a Title.

Reaction Score
deberry is not a project as I assume you suspect. she is actually a terrific talent that needs some refinement and to learn the 'uconn way'. im not worried about her missed shots as i think she will make more then she misses going forward. she struggles a bit on where to be on offense and help defense...but that is normal for a big. I have my optimism glasses on now and think she will help us significantly down the stretch.
If missed/made shots the beginning of their frosh season were the main criteria for determining playing time, Nika, Caroline and many others (KLS after her first few games) would be on the bench as well. My view is much more straightforward. The Dorka signing gave Geno an experienced player who doesn't make the same mistakes a typical frosh big does. DeBerry has the potential to have a higher upside, particularly on the defensive end. Next year without ONO and with numerous shooters, we are going to appreciate her skill set.

Reaction Score
If missed/made shots the beginning of their frosh season were the main criteria for determining playing time, Nika, Caroline and many others (KLS after her first few games) would be on the bench as well. My view is much more straightforward. The Dorka signing gave Geno an experienced player who doesn't make the same mistakes a typical frosh big does. DeBerry has the potential to have a higher upside, particularly on the defensive end. Next year without ONO and with numerous shooters, we are going to appreciate her skill set.
sounds like we agree with each other.

Reaction Score
Piath's inside play was very impressive in her limited minutes, she knows what to do when she gets the ball in the lane - Amari, not there yet.

Reaction Score
somebody else said she was a project. I was simply reacting to that assessment

Reaction Score
Highly unlikely that Amari is a starter next season. Dorka may return and even if she doesn't there is still Ice Brady, Edwards and Patterson as candidates to start up front.
I know she's more athletic and a better defender but I'm not sure that Patterson is ready to start from day one either

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but basketball is a team game. One player cannot win or lose a game. It would have helped if Z was there.
That is not what they say regarding Paige. One player can make a big difference. Just ask Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know she's more athletic and a better defender but I'm not sure that Patterson is ready to start from day one either
I don't have Patterson as a day 1 starter I'm projecting Dorka, and Ice or AE as potential starters ahead of Patterson. My point was Patterson will be ahead of Amari in the post rotation IMO.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Amari is a very very good back to the basket player. She can also hit the 15 footer. She needs playtime right now. She and Piath most likely will get more time against BE teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I was very impressed by Piath's game today, particularly the basket she scored by beating everyone up the floor. But, not to be overlooked, is the fact that her defense was as bad as her offense was good. Watching the game live, I saw her give up a Xavier basket by losing her man immediately before each of her first two layups. So the layups had the aspect of making up for a defensive lapse, and I suspect that is how Geno saw them. She won't get prime-time minutes until she fixes that problem, regardless of her scoring.

Amari consistently makes dreadful decisions under pressure -- a big problem now. I suspect that this will improve as she gets more minutes, but her minutes will have to be limited to garbage time until she stops playing like that. It's a familiar dilemma for the coach.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I was very impressed by Piath's game today, particularly the basket she scored by beating everyone up the floor. But, not to be overlooked, is the fact that her defense was as bad as her offense was good. Watching the game live, I saw her give up a Xavier basket by losing her man immediately before each of her first two layups. So the layups had the aspect of making up for a defensive lapse, and I suspect that is how Geno saw them. She won't get prime-time minutes until she fixes that problem, regardless of her scoring.

Amari consistently makes dreadful decisions under pressure -- a big problem now. I suspect that this will improve as she gets more minutes, but her minutes will have to be limited to garbage time until she stops playing like that. It's a familiar dilemma for the coach.
Neither of our young bigs have played the equal of an entire game. Just patches of time and game ends with much of that time being run down by our guards. This is not a great time to see what these players can do, no flow, just try and get them the ball and have them see it go through the hoop. I am not worried as they, during practice, play again the top women's college players. It's a major benefit to playing for the Huskies. Real students of the game want to learn from the best.

Reaction Score
This quote has been much discussed and entirely misinterpreted. Geno was not comparing Amari to Stewie. There has only been a few notable bigs "since" Stevie. There was only Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens and ONO. I happen to disagree with Geno in this case & believe Azura was much more skilled than Amari even if you compare the players a freshman.
Two things; 1. Amari hit a nice shot today and 2. Is it significant that Piath was on the court before Amari entered the game?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Two things; 1. Amari hit a nice shot today and 2. Is it significant that Piath was on the court before Amari entered the game?
I think Piath's greater minutes probably reflect her performing better in recent practices than Amari. Just a guess.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
View attachment 72429
I'm throw some names at you real quickly: Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, EDD, Stewie, Stefanie Dolson, Tina Charles, Kiah Stokes
yup. That's why I remember what he said. But look at your list Rebecca and Kara were almost 30 years ago. All players skill level has increased considerably since then. EDD and Stewie have the size of a center but you know they both were wings offensively. Mama was a project for 2 years and Tina also improved while she was here. Kiah was a defensive monster who played reluctantly on offense. Amari may never approach the careers of any of them, but I can see what why he said what he said.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
yup. That's why I remember what he said. But look at your list Rebecca and Kara were almost 30 years ago. All players skill level has increased considerably since then. EDD and Stewie have the size of a center but you know they both were wings offensively. Mama was a project for 2 years and Tina also improved while she was here. Kiah was a defensive monster who played reluctantly on offense. Amari may never approach the careers of any of them, but I can see what why he said what he said.
You memory is not correct. See @HuskyNan post in this thread.
What Geno said was: “ (Amari) is the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”.
Notable UCONN bigs since Stewie are only: Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, & Liv. All three had better freshman careers and displayed more skill than Freshman Amari is currently doing; therefore I would have to disagree with Geno.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You memory is not correct. See @HuskyNan post in this thread.
What Geno said was: “ (Amari) is the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”.
Notable UCONN bigs since Stewie are only: Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, & Liv. All three had better freshman careers and displayed more skill than Freshman Amari is currently doing; therefore I would have to disagree with Geno.

Thanks for that, but I have read Nan's post and because it was not what I heard, I chose not to comment. (A skill some others would be wise to copy.)

I am more than willing to admit I may not have heard correctly or that I may not be remembering correctly. But I have to stick by what I remember hearing. To do anything else would be disingenuous.

You know Geno well, are you certain that he never made any other comments about Amari?

I am also sure your impeccable memory allows you to remember how Natalie and Azura played after about 15 minutes of game time. That's really a gift seeing how neither were freshmen at UConn.

I suggest you just chalk my comment up to my being an ignorant old man and let it go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom