Piath and Amari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Piath and Amari

Reaction Score
When Paith was recruited the general understanding was she was a project. It's not my impression Amari was considered a project. From what I've seen neither are ready to contribute in a meaningful way now. Amari will probably be a starter by sometime next season. I don't know about Paith but I seriously doubt she'll have a career that compares to Amari's.
What their learning curves will be is unknown. If Paith can develop into a good reserve anything else would be gravy.
if DeBerry is a project, consider it a recruiting failure. This was supposed to be a top recruit

Reaction Score
She must make them in practice because Geno encouraged her to shoot them. Her stroke looked reasonable. My one complaint, and it's for many of them, is that they don't use glass on the shorter shots from the side.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Aubrey's surgery has made Amari far more important for this year as the 4th big. Going into this season I expected her freshmen season to mostly be a learning one, as we had Liv and Dorka at C and Aaliyah and Aubrey at PF. It is hard to have just a three big rotation, usually you need just a few minutes from a 4th player and I think that will be Amari.

Geno will likely rely heavily on the main three in big games, but give Amari maybe 5-8 minutes a game on many of the others, enough to pass judgement a little bit on what her potential is. If she looks promising and Dorka returns she might settle in as the backup C with hopes to start when Dorka moves on. Ice and Ayanna certainly will have something to say about that next year, but regardless this season Amari could be in the rotation capturing a few of the minutes that Aubrey would have gotten. Piath appears to be on the outside looking in, but with another injury or covid scenario she could become significant as well.
Aubrey is and has never been a big. In pre season Aubrey was working with the guards per Geno. A rotation of 3 bigs ( Dorka,AE and Liv) is the most big players UCONN has had in the 4/5 rotation for quite a while now.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on seeing them against Butler. Both 6'5, Piath a sophomore and Amari a freshman, while both need game time to get used to live play at college, Piath seems to need a little more. Having said that, Piath is much more aggressive at trying to establish position inside. Amari has a natural looking motion on her shot but wish she could emulate what Aaliyah does down low- maybe practice time against Aaliyah will teach her better footwork and how to get position, or the coaches can teach her to use her size more effectively. Amari seems to have trouble when she gets the ball low, she hasn't shown natural moves to evade defender and go up quickly, and at times when holding the ball brings it to chest instead of keeping it high, which lets defender get the ball and tie her up somewhat. Piath has an awkward looking shot at the moment, it seems she shoots from the shoulder maybe and is pushing the ball rather than flicking the wrist? Defensively, Amari isn't aggressive enough yet and in spite of her height seems to get pushed around right now. Not sure how Piath's defense is yet.

Lots of potential in both. At the moment, Amari seems to be oriented to being more of an outside shooting big and Piath is better situated down low. Looking forward to seeing them get more time and developing still further.
Sound a lot like things I said about Jess Moore. A project from Alaska. She was never Tina, but turned out to be just what Geno need when he needed her. CD did a terrific job on Moore.

Reaction Score
UCONN did this same thing to Saylor last year (encouraged her to shoot every time she touched the ball in a blow out situation). This is a great disservice to the player because it develops bad habits. The team should be out there running offense and the criteria should be the same: If you are open as a result of the running the offense then take the shot if that is a shot you have practiced and made, if someone is more open than you are then pass the basketball. BTW I though Amari did exactly that in her meaningful minutes in the game. It was her last few chucks with the bench yelling at her that I have a real issue with.

They may have missed those shots badly but they were good shots to take. If there has been one fault among the seniors it has been a reluctance to shoot when open. Far more often than not new players shooting 3's go through an initial cold streak, going 0-12 or so. (Makarat) So by telling her to shoot when no one is within 10 feet of her in a blowout they are pushing her through that psychological barrier where it doesn't matter. Let her miss. Let her learn to relax shooting them. She obviously makes them in practice. And every player on the team should be able to make a set shot from the arc if left totally alone.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that both Piath and Amari find meaningful PT at UConn. Amari is closer than Piath, but neither is that close. Next year is a stronger possibility for both, but it’s not assured by a long shot.

Assuming Dorka returns and Aubrey recovers from back surgery, Piath & Amari will start out behind Dorka, Aaliyah & Aubrey for front court PT. Add to that the arrival of Ice & Ayanna, two dynamic front court players, and Piath & Amari will have their work cut out for them.

With that said, I hope Jamelle can work her magic to prepare both of them to contribute. If this year taught us anything it’s that you never have enough depth.
Assuming your assumption that Aubrey returns; I have serious doubts she will return as she was the last 2 years. Excuse my negative, but I have a lot of doubts about Aubrey next year and beyond.
On the Big posts If CD can do what she did with Moore, anything is possible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It wasn’t @CajunHusky it was @HuskylnSC. Regardless, it is still a preposterous statement even if Geno did say it.
Apparently, Geno said “purely skilled since Breanna Stewart”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming your assumption that Aubrey returns; I have serious doubts she will return as she was the last 2 years. Excuse my negative, but I have a lot of doubts about Aubrey next year and beyond.
On the Big posts If CD can do what she did with Moore, anything is possible.
While all back injuries are not the same, having had back surgery myself in my 50’s, I’m fairly optimistic that Aubrey will be back next year. Aubrey is young, surgical techniques are so much better today, and Aubrey will have the very best medical follow up and rehab.

Reaction Score
Chucking three after three is not DeBerry's game, to put it mildly.
But it is. In high school she was known to be a good passer and can knock down shots. If you noticed she has a nice stroke and her coaches was even telling her to shoot the open 3. Shots just didn’t go in for her but most was in and out

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Where are you and @HuskylnSC getting these Geno quotes regarding Amari from.
It was in a video conference about the time fall practice started. He spent a lot of time talking about Azzi and some about Caroline and then a couple of sentences about Amari with the gist of she's behind on the learning curve

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But it is. In high school she was known to be a good passer and can knock down shots. If you noticed she has a nice stroke and her coaches was even telling her to shoot the open 3. Shots just didn’t go in for her but most was in and out

I think one or two were close, she missed the entire rim on one and the others were clanked.

She may have a nice stroke but she's not a three-point savant or high-percentage, long-range shooter. I can understand a shot or two but don't understand the point of six long jumpers in three minutes. Azzi Fudd she's not.

Reaction Score
I think Amari is going to end up getting more playing time than Paith. I forgot what game it was earlier, maybe it was the Georgia Tech game, but in that game, Amari looked pretty good. I just know that we were struggling holding on to the ball. Amari grabbed a few rebounds with ease. Held on to the ball against some decent pressure. As for shooting those three-point shots during the game the other day. Let them suckers fly! If she works on those shots during practice and making shots. Let them fly. No point in being shy about shooting. I am pretty sure the team managers are tracking shooting during practice. I am pretty sure the coaching staff are monitoring those shots.

Like Coach Auriemma always says, "If we are working on those shots in practice and you are making those shots in practice. I want you to shoot those shots during games." I have no problem with Amari shooting those types of shots, especially towards the end of a game. Of course, I ain't the coach either. But if I was Coach Auriemma and I am trying boost my players confidence to take shots. I am letting them rascals have the Green, Yellow, Red Light Shooting Method.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Ahh.. that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Reaction Score
I think one or two were close, she missed the entire rim on one and the others were clanked.

She may have a nice stroke but she's not a three-point savant or high-percentage, long-range shooter. I can understand a shot or two but don't understand the point of six long jumpers in three minutes. Azzi Fudd she's not.

[/QUOTE
I think she can hit that 3 ball. I seen 1 bad one 1 was a little hard cus she hesitant when they told her to shoot. Besides they just wanted her to get in the box score. I doubt Geno would let her take them if she couldn’t make them with consistency. Her shot looks good and with more time she’ll knock them down. I’m just more concerned with her inside game and defense. Paith shot looks terrible but she plays hard

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on seeing them against Butler. Both 6'5, Piath a sophomore and Amari a freshman, while both need game time to get used to live play at college, Piath seems to need a little more. Having said that, Piath is much more aggressive at trying to establish position inside. Amari has a natural looking motion on her shot but wish she could emulate what Aaliyah does down low- maybe practice time against Aaliyah will teach her better footwork and how to get position, or the coaches can teach her to use her size more effectively. Amari seems to have trouble when she gets the ball low, she hasn't shown natural moves to evade defender and go up quickly, and at times when holding the ball brings it to chest instead of keeping it high, which lets defender get the ball and tie her up somewhat. Piath has an awkward looking shot at the moment, it seems she shoots from the shoulder maybe and is pushing the ball rather than flicking the wrist? Defensively, Amari isn't aggressive enough yet and in spite of her height seems to get pushed around right now. Not sure how Piath's defense is yet.

Lots of potential in both. At the moment, Amari seems to be oriented to being more of an outside shooting big and Piath is better situated down low. Looking forward to seeing them get more time and developing still further.
Piath looks like a baby deer with her legs and arms flailing all over the place excitedly. Definitely more aggressive than Amari in attempting to get low post position and maybe quicker with the ball. Amari looks like a deer caught in the headlights at times. The Center from Butler was able to push her around and get position at will and I believe I may have seen a small forward do the same thing. Playing time for both will help but I believe the weight room for Amari may help even more. I don’t really see either one being a big help this year. Maybe a couple minutes here and there to give the other Biggs a rest and then some garbage time with big leads. Next year should be there coming out year and time to establish themselves as real contributors.

Reaction Score
Piath looks like a baby deer with her legs and arms flailing all over the place excitedly. Definitely more aggressive than Amari in attempting to get low post position and maybe quicker with the ball. Amari looks like a deer caught in the headlights at times. The Center from Butler was able to push her around and get position at will and I believe I may have seen a small forward do the same thing. Playing time for both will help but I believe the weight room for Amari may help even more. I don’t really see either one being a big help this year. Maybe a couple minutes here and there to give the other Biggs a rest and then some garbage time with big leads. Next year should be there coming out year and time to establish themselves as real contributors.
Of course the Butler Center was a 5th year, graduate student who
had the highest field goal shooting percentage in the national
prior to the game against UCONN. I also remember the game
commentator, Bob Joyce? , on the air, saying that both Geno and Christyn
were encouraging Amari "to shoot the ball!". More experience =
improved execution?

Reaction Score

That is it. Thanks. If that isn't high praise, what is? Stewy is only the best player we have ever seen ( okay, begin arguments ). So does anyone think DeBerry has flashed any of those skills in the few minutes we have seen her? I mean, how cool if Geno is right. But I would think one move, one pass, one shot, one spin, one something....would have mirrored the great one. Not so far, in my book.

Reaction Score
Who are the bigs since Stewie (i.e. 2016-17 season and onward)? Azura, Butler, ONO, who else?

Reaction Score
The "legend" status attached to UConn is a double edged sword. On one hand it has been a magnet for elite players but once they get here some of them begin to have some doubts about themselves. That can create a psychological barrier that leads to indecision and hesitation on the court in their first actual games. Using the Butler game to let DeBerry get over any jitters over shooting was a good idea. The last thing Geno wanted was to keep scoring when it was obvious that the Butlers were exhausted. Besides, Gabriel was trying to post up low which is about all she can do right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is it. Thanks. If that isn't high praise, what is? Stewy is only the best player we have ever seen ( okay, begin arguments ). So does anyone think DeBerry has flashed any of those skills in the few minutes we have seen her? I mean, how cool if Geno is right. But I would think one move, one pass, one shot, one spin, one something....would have mirrored the great one. Not so far, in my book.
This quote has been much discussed and entirely misinterpreted. Geno was not comparing Amari to Stewie. There has only been a few notable bigs "since" Stevie. There was only Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens and ONO. I happen to disagree with Geno in this case & believe Azura was much more skilled than Amari even if you compare the players a freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom