Phx vs Dallas, Chong, Griner vs Glory | The Boneyard

Phx vs Dallas, Chong, Griner vs Glory

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In stark contrast to her prior game, Saniya was -34 in this game. The coach let her play much of the second half, when Phoenix outscored Dallas by a whopping 61-29.

Saniya tallied 4 points, 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal (for a breakaway layup), and 2 turnovers. On the bright side, her 2-4 shooting made her the only player on the team to shoot at least .500 last night. The team shot only .323.

Diana tied Katie Smith's career WNBA record for 3-pointers made. Look for her to extend that soon (as in her next shot). She'll soon be the career scoring leader too. Sue may be the career assist leader by the end of the season as well.

Reaction Score
I thought Saniya played great. Half the time when she doesn't have the ball the team can't make a successful pass. It was the inside play that killed them. Whenever Griner touched the ball, no matter what they called a foul on the defender. And with Paris out, they were really thin inside (no pun intended). The drubbing had nothing to do with Saniya. She is moving quick and anticipating on defense very well. She carried the ball with great reliability. The steal and layup were shades of UConn, a beautiful thing to see. I wish the Sun had taken her, but I didn't expect her to do this well so I wasn't calling for it at the time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wonder when the last time was that Saniya Chong played on a team that was blown out? Ever?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed Saniya couldn't right the ship the other night. There goes her amazing +/-.

Reaction Score
Whenever Griner touched the ball, no matter what they called a foul on the defender.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It was almost like we were back in 2015 and the refs thought Griner was Delle Donne.

And with Paris out, they were really thin inside (no pun intended).

The "no pun intended" emphasizes the pun. :)

The drubbing had nothing to do with Saniya.

I know.... she's just a role player. If there ever was a game where the refs helped determine the outcome, it was this one. With the Wings' starting center out, the refs decided that the backup Plaisance deserved 4 pfs in the span of about 4 or 5 min. With Plaisance on the bench, the Wings either had to go small at center or rely heavily on rookie Breanna Lewis or Akhator, who probably isn't 100% even if she has the merit of a #3 pick. Things dominoed from there. The way the Wings are coached, the farther behind they got, the more desperate (in a bad way) they played.

The Wings could use Cambage right about now. Phillips.... do your thing.

There seems the be an inordinate amount of fouls being called in many of the games across the league. Could there be some kind of directive from the front office? I hope that changes. Let the players determine the outcomes of games.

I wish the Sun had taken her, but I didn't expect her to do this well so I wasn't calling for it at the time.

I was surprised Miller didn't take her. I guess he was feeling Cooper (another tweener 4/3 that the team didn't really need), and then he promptly made her the first draft pick cut in the WNBA. Nice scouting there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched the game live. The refs are so nice to Griner that no matter what she did it was always Dallas's fault. This is why nobody wants to watch WNBA.

Shame for the refs. Griner should have at least 2 technical fouls and, DT should have one.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There seems the be an inordinate amount of fouls being called in many of the games across the league. Could there be some kind of directive from the front office? I hope that changes. Let the players determine the outcomes of games.

I couldn't like your post half a dozen times, so I decided to quote this section. The referees are becoming a distraction.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I watched the game live. The refs are so nice to Griner that no matter what she did it was always Dallas's fault. This is why nobody wants to watch WNBA.

Shame for the refs. Griner should have at least 2 technical fouls and, DT should have one.
you'll watch the next game

Reaction Score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It was almost like we were back in 2015 and the refs thought Griner was Delle Donne.

The "no pun intended" emphasizes the pun. :)

I know.... she's just a role player. If there ever was a game where the refs helped determine the outcome, it was this one. With the Wings' starting center out, the refs decided that the backup Plaisance deserved 4 pfs in the span of about 4 or 5 min. With Plaisance on the bench, the Wings either had to go small at center or rely heavily on rookie Breanna Lewis or Akhator, who probably isn't 100% even if she has the merit of a #3 pick. Things dominoed from there. The way the Wings are coached, the farther behind they got, the more desperate (in a bad way) they played.

The Wings could use Cambage right about now. Phillips.... do your thing.

I was surprised Miller didn't take her. I guess he was feeling Cooper (another tweener 4/3 that the team didn't really need), and then he promptly made her the first draft pick cut in the WNBA. Nice scouting there.
Sorry about emphasizing the pun. Couldn't help myself.

In regard to the inordinate fouls, I have thought the same thing, that maybe it's a directive from the league. I too have seen it in most of the games. It makes for uninteresting contests. In Chicago's game against the Sun, the first two fouls called on Dolson were bogus. She ended up fouling out, pretty much assuring a Sun victory. It's Mickey Mouse. I liked that the Sun got a win, but I would prefer that it wasn't tainted.

Reaction Score
I am torn about the foul situation. On one hand, I thought the number of fouls in some of the games made them unappealing to watch. More importantly, it seemed that they were unevenly called so it was hard for players to adjust. On the other hand, I do wish the games were less "physical" and was glad that some of the strong, physical fouls were called. I would like the officiating to reward clean, flowing play.
In college we usually hear about refs having a "point of emphasis" at the beginning of the season so we know why they are calling certain fouls. I haven't heard anything similar from announcers or columnists about the WNBA. If the refs are trying to call thing differently I wish they would let everyone in on it. If not, then it must be the uneven and sometimes inept officiating we have seen too often.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am torn about the foul situation. On one hand, I thought the number of fouls in some of the games made them unappealing to watch. More importantly, it seemed that they were unevenly called so it was hard for players to adjust. On the other hand, I do wish the games were less "physical" and was glad that some of the strong, physical fouls were called. I would like the officiating to reward clean, flowing play.
In college we usually hear about refs having a "point of emphasis" at the beginning of the season so we know why they are calling certain fouls. I haven't heard anything similar from announcers or columnists about the WNBA. If the refs are trying to call thing differently I wish they would let everyone in on it. If not, then it must be the uneven and sometimes inept officiating we have seen too often.

Im sure the players and coaches are "in on it"... are you expecting a call from Don Vaden?

Reaction Score
So have you heard of the "points of emphasis? If everyone in the WNBA knows why the refs are calling the fouls, why have they not adjusted? Just too soon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom