OT: - Phil Sellers, Rutgers Star Whose Basketball Stardom Was Short-Lived, Dies at 69 | The Boneyard

OT: Phil Sellers, Rutgers Star Whose Basketball Stardom Was Short-Lived, Dies at 69

Reaction Score
Phil Sellers, Whose Basketball Stardom Was Short-Lived, Dies at 69

He led Rutgers to an undefeated 1975-76 regular season and into the Final Four, where the Scarlet Knights lost in the semifinals. But his N.B.A. career was brief., lasting only a single season...
That's really sad news. Growing up in Scarsdale, I used to fiddle with the round UHF antenna and I could pull in NJPT Channel 50 from Montclair and saw almost all the Rutgers' games that year. Really really fun team to watch, with a roster full of cup of coffee NBA types and fast Eddie Jordan who had a longer NBA career (and then became famous for, when seeking a head college job, lying on his resume saying he had a degree from Rutgers WHEN APPLYING TO RUTGERS). Still think they choked in Philly, and while Indiana would have destroyed them they were capable of giving Michigan a game that year.

Sellers was a 6'3" tweener forward who didn't have the size to play forward in the NBA or the quickness and speed to play guard, but was an outstanding college player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sellers beat UConn in the Sweet 16 on the way that lone Final Four.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Roomed in college with a Asbury Park NJ basketball player who knew and played summer leagues Phil and Eddie Jordan
Met them a few times- top notch guys
That 75-76 team with a kid named Dabney was sick
RIP PS

Reaction Score
Roomed in college with a Asbury Park NJ basketball player who knew and played summer leagues Phil and Eddie Jordan
Met them a few times- top notch guys
That 75-76 team with a kid named Dabney was sick
RIP PS
Sellers and Hollis Copeland at Forward, Jammin James Bailey in the middle and Mike Dabney and Eddie Jordan at guard. Before the large northeastern schools were in conferences, Rutgers did not play a schedule that we would find acceptable today, but an undefeated regular season was no small feat nonetheless.

Reaction Score
That was back in the day where I rooted for any northeastern team to do anything. And rarely did any of them rarely do anything.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was back in the day where I rooted for any northeastern team to do anything. And rarely did any of them rarely do anything.
Fairfield had a moment in the sun around the same time. The Big East put a stop to that.

Reaction Score
They called him Phil the Thrill. Smooth jump shot.

Reaction Score
They were a fun team to watch
sellers was a great college player
Interesting side note I
Mike. Dabney maya moore’s fathet

Reaction Score
Sellers and Hollis Copeland at Forward, Jammin James Bailey in the middle and Mike Dabney and Eddie Jordan at guard. Before the large northeastern schools were in conferences, Rutgers did not play a schedule that we would find acceptable today, but an undefeated regular season was no small feat nonetheless.
Their 76 football team was also undefeated. Played golf about 10 years ago with 3 Rutgers guys on Cape Cod, including the QB of that team. He also played baseball for them, pitching and first base. Lefty golfer, never took a lesson, but was a scratch player. Nice guy too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom