OT: - PGA Championship This Week | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: PGA Championship This Week

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2 of 4 in the mix?

Funny enough I was all over Morikawa the week of TPC River Highlands. Turns out it was his only missed cut in his career.

Three wins, one missed cut.

Screenshot_20200809-193238.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2 of 4 in the mix?

I went with Morikawa this morning too.

I've been out during afternoon both Fri/Sat and was catching up at night.

Couple of things. After three days of watching I am not a big fan of the course. Just seems blah to me.
Still amazed how many 15-20 foot putts are coming up 2-3 feet shirt or offline. I know many of these guys are playing it for first time but the putting hasn't been great.
Law of averages crushed Li yesterday. Shot a great round out of rough on Friday. He only hit four fairways. Yesterday he referred to the norm.
Glad to see pros lose a ball in a tree.
No reason DJ can't win this. A focused DJ is tough to beat. Was interesting to hear Phil say early in the round how well DJ had been putting and then see DJ continue to roll it well.
Fleetwood had a chance to out his stamp on the tourney yesterday and totally Fowlered his round.
Last thing is the last hour of yesterday really shows how quickly the course changes when temps drop and fog rolls in. I realize TV wants the prime time viewing but to me it almost punishes last 3-4 groups playing in that weather. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the -6 to -7 groups gets to -11, finishes 90 minutes before leaders and wins.

I had Morikawa as a pick in this thread so I'll stick with him. Schauffele, DJ and Day are the three others I'll keep an eye on.
If Koepka wins, forget about it. Couldn't find greens yesterday and kept getting up and down. And he was still under par.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing tourny - really enjoyed it for sure. The course as many have pointed out is a little dull, but overall when you get 7 guys tied for the lead on the back nine on Sunday, there's not too much to complain about.

Kid is the next Spieth.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing tourny - really enjoyed it for sure. The course as many have pointed out is a little dull, but overall when you get 7 guys tied for the lead on the back nine on Sunday, there's not too much to complain about.

I guess the driveable par-4 16th is the signature hole now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Kid is the next Spieth.

I think he'll be way better than Spieth. Spieth was a bit of flash in the pan and his game had holes in it.
I doubt Morikawa will get to 4 majors as quickly as Spieth but I think by age 30 his career will be better than Spieth's.
I thought Spieth ruined his game chasing more distance off the tee.
Morikawa is much better off the tee and has great spin control on his irons in to greens.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I guess the driveable par-4 16th is the signature hole now.
Yeah I said before the leaders teed off that 16 was going to be a blast. Play it perfect, eagle. A bad result was a par. Huge difference maker in a perfect place on the course.

Reaction Score
Morikawa is the best iron player since tiger and the stats back it up. He had a good putting week, which statistically speaking he isn’t, and he’ll only get better there.

bogey free 64 to close out his first major. Stones

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think he'll be way better than Spieth. Spieth was a bit of flash in the pan and his game had holes in it.
I doubt Morikawa will get to 4 majors as quickly as Spieth but I think by age 30 his career will be better than Spieth's.
Morikawa is much better off the tee and has great spin control on his irons in to greens.
As I've said a bunch of times - if you gave me $50,000,000 when I was 21/22, my work game would have suffered for sure!

Reaction Score
Spieth may never get to 4 majors.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As I've said a bunch of times - if you gave me $50,000,000 when I was 21/22, my work game would have suffered for sure!

Definitely think that can be part of it. The UA sponsor deal took some pressure off earning income from his game. Allowed him to tinker with his game. I wish he would have stayed with what got him to the top. Drives in fairways calculated aggression on shots to the green and lethal putting.
Unofficially I heard some stuff when he transitioned from his college bros and young golf bros and got married that his wife definitely reigned him in.
I got nothing against him and if he finds his game and starts winning again, good for him and better for the game. He is a TV draw. The hole out from the bunker at River Highlands was an awesome moment.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Took Morikawa in my one and done. Ship it!

ESPN app is pathetic. They still cover Tiger likes he’s relevant. I bet if you open it right now the lead story is where he finished.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Definitely think that can be part of it. The UA sponsor deal took some pressure off earning income from his game. Allowed him to tinker with his game. I wish he would have stayed with what got him to the top. Drives in fairways calculated aggression on shots to the green and lethal putting.
Unofficially I heard some stuff when he transitioned from his college bros and young golf bros and got married that his wife definitely reigned him in.
I got nothing against him and if he finds his game and starts winning again, good for him and better for the game. He is a TV draw. The hole out from the bunker at River Highlands was an awesome moment.
Why the hell would you get married at that point?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom