PG Play - Innocent Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PG Play - Innocent Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean amazing to think of how the guards played and how easy we beat a decent team. But they are only decent, let's not get too high need to play much better against much of the Big East moving forward.
This! If Newton, Diarra and Alleyne play as badly as they did last night against Creighton, the usual result will probably occur.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not too concerned about Newton yet, other than that he’s been a little loose with the ball against tight pressure, especially up at the point where turnovers lead to breakaways. He got going downhill a lot yesterday, which is good, but it felt like he was trying too hard to be a facilitator. He did come up with a couple impressive passes in small windows that showed some PG vision, except that by the time Sanogo or Clingan pulled it in, the defense had recovered because he didn’t sell that he was a scoring threat well enough. I’d rather he establish his scoring going downhill - or look to draw contact, or suck the shot blocker in and let Sanogo and Clingan attack the boards. Sometimes that means you go 0-1 statistically but it’s a good possession for the team. Then once the defense feels they need to take your shot away, those passes are more likely to result in assists. If he finds the right balance between supplemental scorer and facilitator as the season goes on, he might evolve into what we need for that position. I feel like the skillset is there, but there’s certainly room to grow.

Reaction Score
I’m not too concerned about Newton yet, other than that he’s been a little loose with the ball against tight pressure, especially up at the point where turnovers lead to breakaways. He got going downhill a lot yesterday, which is good, but it felt like he was trying too hard to be a facilitator. He did come up with a couple impressive passes in small windows that showed some PG vision, except that by the time Sanogo or Clingan pulled it in, the defense had recovered because he didn’t sell that he was a scoring threat well enough. I’d rather he establish his scoring going downhill - or look to draw contact, or suck the shot blocker in and let Sanogo and Clingan attack the boards. Sometimes that means you go 0-1 statistically but it’s a good possession for the team. Then once the defense feels they need to take your shot away, those passes are more likely to result in assists. If he finds the right balance between supplemental scorer and facilitator as the season goes on, he might evolve into what we need for that position. I feel like the skillset is there, but there’s certainly room to grow.

I agree, that was the main issue yesterday for Newton. He was only looking to pass on his drives, and eventually everyone on the court knew it. He passed up wide open 5 footers and did not seek contact the way we've seen him do before. We're at our best when he's doing his Peyton Siva lead guard impression and wreaking havoc in the lane several times a game.

Not worried. The coaches will help him get it calibrated, and with this team I'd rather he err on the side of over-passing than being a ballhog. He (with Sanogo) basically won the Alabama game for us in the second half. That gave me a lot of confidence that he will be there when the lights are bright.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
tris is fine.
10-0 as the floor leader, thus far.
that's pretty good, no?
Yes. But he’s not the floor leader, and that,s fine he’s not. It makes us even harder to plan for. But this isn’t Taliek running 2004. This is a different team. Different needs and pieces. Newton seemed caught in the “ in between” last night, and honestly the last few games. Nyhuskyfan as usual has it right. ( if you know you know ;-) )

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yes. But he’s not the floor leader, and that,s fine he’s not. It makes us even harder to plan for. But this isn’t Taliek running 2004. This is a different team. Different needs and pieces. Newton seemed caught in the “ in between” last night, and honestly the last few games. Nyhuskyfan as usual has it right. ( if you know you know ;-) )
aren't u sum kind of dad now? put down the crack pipe.
tris is righteous. read closely.
Tristen Newton College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
mostly, but not completely, consistent with his past. except for the parts on his o rating. and his d rating. those just blowin up his past, in a good way.
leads the big east in ft's too.
the other two (number not position) 'guards', rumored to be choices for the job in october, well, ......

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
aren't u sum kind of dad now? put down the crack pipe.
tris is righteous. read closely.
Tristen Newton College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
mostly, but not completely, consistent with his past. except for the parts on his o rating. and his d rating. those just blowin up his past, in a good way.
leads the big east in ft's too.
the other two (number not position) 'guards', rumored to be choices for the job in october, well, ......
I am and I have and I do. Answer your questions?

Reaction Score
This! If Newton, Diarra and Alleyne play as badly as they did last night against Creighton, the usual result will probably occur.

Alleyne did NOT play bad not sure what you saw???

Reaction Score
Despite people saying they prefer Newton over Cole, PG play has been one of our only weaknesses this year. That weakness is mitigated by having so many players that are competent with the ball. Jackson, obviously, has developed a strong handle. Hawkins has improved. Joey C is better than I thought he would be. There are enough guys on the roster who can handle it and the team as a whole plays so unselfishly that I'm not worried about having a great point guard.

Reaction Score
One of those three is not like the others.
Not sure what games you've been watching. None if the 3 have given back to back great games yet. I'm optimistic though

Reaction Score
Despite people saying they prefer Newton over Cole, PG play has been one of our only weaknesses this year. That weakness is mitigated by having so many players that are competent with the ball. Jackson, obviously, has developed a strong handle. Hawkins has improved. Joey C is better than I thought he would be. There are enough guys on the roster who can handle it and the team as a whole plays so unselfishly that I'm not worried about having a great point guard.
You said it well

Reaction Score
You think he played well in 15 min? Definitely could use more from him. He didn't score or rebound during that time

Ok then tell me what he did wrong? Need to hear it.

Reaction Score
Alleyne did NOT play bad not sure what you saw???
FG: 0-2 (including a missed makeable dunk)
1 rebound
2 Steals

Hardly impressive for the 15 minutes he played.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The dunk was kind of a low percentage attempt, trying to throw it down over 2 people, and he didn’t have enough elevation left by the time he got to the rim. Meanwhile, Hawkins had hit a 3 one or two possessions prior and didn’t have anyone within 15 feet of him.

But he “went for it” and his eyes were locked in on the rim. Not the first or last time someone had tunnel vision on the break, and maybe if he throws that down it kick-starts some confidence for him. So I’ll give him a pass for not giving a pass.
5151A997-DB84-442C-8D72-FC931D126F94.jpeg

Reaction Score
I let out an audible moan when Alleyne missed the dunk. I was thinking the same thing that it could be just the thing to get him going.

Regardless, he plays hard.

On another note, as the team faces more in-your-face- ball pressure, I want to see the guards come to the pass more. Watching Iowa, they do not give any defender a chance to pick off a pass on the perimeter. They are just little things, but the more little thigs you can correct, the greater the margin of error for when you have a bad night as a team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IMO Newton proved lsst night why he wound going to ECU out of high school. He is an AAC level guard. I hope he can improve his handle and passing decisions sooner than later.
And all the guards that U of Houston have had over the past few years are just AAC guards?
Yet BCU and Cuse and Pitt have had ACC type guards?
What the hell does a conference has to do with it?
Painting with a HUGE brush

Reaction Score
And all the guards that U of Houston have had over the past few years are just AAC guards?
Yet BCU and Cuse and Pitt have had ACC type guards?
What the hell does a conference has to do with it?
Painting with a HUGE brush
I could have said "lower level" AAC guard. I was being polite. As a Husky he has played very well against the lower tier teams, but has struggled as the pressure and competition levels intensify.

I said that I hope he improves his handle and passing choices, with which he is struggling. Also, his shots could be better as well, like when he was at ECU. But, this is not ECU. Can he rise to the presented occasion? I truly hope so.

Reaction Score
The dunk was kind of a low percentage attempt, trying to throw it down over 2 people, and he didn’t have enough elevation left by the time he got to the rim. Meanwhile, Hawkins had hit a 3 one or two possessions prior and didn’t have anyone within 15 feet of him.

But he “went for it” and his eyes were locked in on the rim. Not the first or last time someone had tunnel vision on the break, and maybe if he throws that down it kick-starts some confidence for him. So I’ll give him a pass for not giving a pass.
View attachment 81687
He went down on the other end and stole the ball from Florida right away after missing the dunk.

Reaction Score
I could have said "lower level" AAC guard. I was being polite. As a Husky he has played very well against the lower tier teams, but has struggled as the pressure and competition levels intensify.

I said that I hope he improves his handle and passing choices, with which he is struggling. Also, his shots could be better as well, like when he was at ECU. But, this is not ECU. Can he rise to the presented occasion? I truly hope so.

Just an awful post. I shouldn’t be surprised based on the source. So Newton is a “lower level AAC guard”? Someone should have told Hurley that you think so before they targeted him. I bet he wouldn’t have gone after him.

You thought Newton was bad against Oregon? Against Alabama?

Some of these hot takes are brutal.

This is a good team. With a lot of weapons. It’s a tough transition to go from leading scorer to “guy who keeps the machine humming.” But ishty posts like this where someone just baselessly questions a kids ability to play at this level are beyond stupid. i TrUlY hOpE sO is just the perfect chef’s kiss.

Reaction Score
Just an awful post. I shouldn’t be surprised based on the source. So Newton is a “lower level AAC guard”? Someone should have told Hurley that you think so before they targeted him. I bet he wouldn’t have gone after him.

You thought Newton was bad against Oregon? Against Alabama?

Some of these hot takes are brutal.

This is a good team. With a lot of weapons. It’s a tough transition to go from leading scorer to “guy who keeps the machine humming.” But ishty posts like this where someone just baselessly questions a kids ability to play at this level are beyond stupid. i TrUlY hOpE sO is just the perfect chef’s kiss.
What did I say that is not true? He is not having trouble with his handle, passing and shooting? I voiced concern that he may be a bit overwhelmed by being on a team that is 10-0 and the pressure may be affecting him. A reasonable concern since playing at UConn on an undefeated team is a BIG step up from ECU.

But of course BigErn could easilly handle that type of pressure without a blink

Reaction Score
You think he played well in 15 min? Definitely could use more from him. He didn't score or rebound during that time
I don’t think you can lump him in with Diarra and Newton who both turned it over a ton. He played, and always does, really solid D while in there easily one of our better defenders.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can lump him in with Diarra and Newton who both turned it over a ton. He played, and always does, really solid D while in there easily one of our better defenders.
Gotcha. I'll agree with that part

Reaction Score
Newton in 26 mins of play:

0-5 FGs 2-2 FTs...2 Pts

2 Rebounds
7 Assists
1 Steel

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Newton in 26 mins of play:

0-9 FGs 2-2 FTs...2 Pts

2 Rebounds
7 Assists
1 Steel
0-5 on FGs, at least get his stats right. Scoring is still not there but I'll take 7 assists and 2 turnovers from him. Much better game today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom