Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach

Reaction Score
I think all anyone needs to see is the video of Auriemma returning from quarantine; that speaks volumes of the way the players feel about him. He uses any means available, including the media, to communicate with those players.
Just my opinion, but too many here want to bisect and dissect every comment of a guy that has been the same way for decades when one only has to look at the love and respect he has mutually with virtually every player he has ever coached. One has only to look at the success in and out of basketball many of those players have had after leaving.
The proof is in the pudding, recipes be damned. He and Chris Dailey have created something that may never be equaled in sports, doing it their way. They obviously put serious effort in developing the young ladies in their charge as players AND people.
The only downside I can see is the dynasty has spawned a legion of spoiled, petulant fans that whine and moan and offer sophomoric advice with every loss, every win where the margin of victory does not satisfy them, and every player that does not get enough minutes to suit their tastes.
And that does not mean that all Uconn WBB fans get painted with that brush, very far from it.

Very good post, and an accurate account of why most coaches only care about the opinions of two groups of people: their players and their peers. The people who want to tell this staff to change their offense, who should be getting more minutes, or how flawed their game plan was without ever seeing a practice, breaking down film, or just observing the athletes both on and off the floor for hours on a daily basis don’t seem to understand all that goes into each of the above.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but the people who want to tell this staff how to coach basketball should try going down to the local mortuary and telling them they’re embalming people the wrong way and they are going to fix that, or going to the local bank President and telling them their bond portfolio isn’t laddered properly, and they are there to offer their expertise. They are doing the same thing here, but for some reason don’t look at it in the same vein. JMO

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
According to your sign in date you have been following for at least 10 years. Geno has not changed a bit in 36 years and will not anytime soon. To say he is not a professional is simply silly and exposes ones knowledge of the game and program. You and a few others may not like his MO but being the most successful coach in the history of the game speaks for itself.

Rocky you old respected MTblue guy, Geno is simply venting towards the not so knowledgeable. It has to get tiring getting emails every day from Monday morning head coaches. He vents just like anyone else would but with a better touch of snark! ;)
It is not aimed at true fans or those that understand the game.
See exhibit A above.
He should do himself a favor and assign an intern to strain the idiots out of his e-mail.

Reaction Score
Back in the day... I coached Youth Baseball. After one close loss, I had a parent of one of my players tell me all the things he thought I was doing wrong, including not playing his kid enough or in the position he thought he should play. I listened carefully and attentively. I thanked him for his thoughts and asked... "Do you want to do it?" He immediately replied "No way am I doing it ... especially without getting paid." And he walked away.

Reaction Score
Like many here, I feel for Geno too. He had a solid game-plan for Arizona, and I can only imagine his frustration with the problems his team had in executing. Heck, he even had a good backup plan for this game. Her name was Aaliyah Edwards.

I'll share a brief story with the board. I was at the game, and had a really good angle into the UConn huddle, especially with my binoculars. After the situation with Liv had become clear, either late in the second or early in the third, the team ran a play for Aaliyah and got her a wide open look from point blank range. She missed the bunny, and right away Geno called a time out. As the players walked towards the chairs set up at courtside, Geno gave her a hard stare-down for a good four seconds, during which she avoided making eye contact. He waited until she sat down, then immediately waived her out of the chair (indicating a substitution).

It was a poignant moment that stuck with me, as it expressed his exasperation better than even his words in this interview. Despite that, he refuses to throw individual players or the team as a whole under the bus with his comments, even if some of the fan base does not escape quite so unscathed. I'd rather it be that way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"My kids are devastated,” Auriemma said. “My kids just put in 12 months of hard work, sacrificed everything. The whole COVID thing, they haven’t been home since July 26. ... My guys put blood, sweat and tears into this. You don’t think we want this more than you do? That’s the thing that a lot of fans can’t wrap their heads around. We win all the time and they go, ‘You have no competition.’ We lose and they go, ‘You can’t win because you [stink]. So you want it to be competitive, but you don’t want us to lose.”

'We want to win more than you want us to win': UConn's Geno Auriemma opens up about latest Final Four loss

I am sure they want to win more than anything on the planet. The only thing Geno is wrong is that I DON'T want it to be competitive. I love 50 point wins, and the closest it ishappens at the start of the game 0-0, and being able to track opponents leading time in seconds for the entire year. I am cool with a 30 point win in the National Championship game by the Huskies with only a one point defecit at half-time, so they can say that they "stayed with them in the first half...."

I know that was not possible in the past 5 years, but may be possible against everyone not named Stanford and South Carolina in the next one to two years, and then names of other teams don't matter in years three and four from now....

Go HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
“We could save you a lot of problems and just lose in the first round,” Auriemma said. “Then you won’t have so much angst. But you know what, we’re going to punish you, we’re going to be just good enough to torment you... We’re going to torture you. How’s that?”

Unfortunately, a lot of this is Geno at his absolute worst, with the fan shaming and such that he's been falling back on these past four or five years, I guess to deflect from these dreadful losses.

"As well as Arizona played, had we just done a little more of what we were accustomed to doing, we would have won the game."

Correct, Geno. And as you know, it's your job as head coach, to get them to do what they are accustomed to doing in a national semi-final like they do in any other game. And to get them to do it even though, yes, the competition is tougher in those games. For three of those four years, you had the better team and the better players on the floor. And each time they lost in pretty much the same manner, with similar game plans deployed against them, while being unable to perform at their own baseline level of proficiency. It must feel like groundhog day for you, coach. So how about you figure out what keeps going wrong, and then go fix it? And while you're at it, you may want to consider showing a little less distain for the fans out there, spoiled as some of us indeed are.
John Wooden went through the same "inflated expectations" problem went in the midst of his huge run at UCLA, which made him retire at his last NCAA chapionship presentation ceremony after announcing it before the game to his players.

The women are still people, and people do not perform at their highest level 100% of the time, and sometimes opponents all have their best performances all at the same time {Arkansas & Arizona come to mind}. Most times you can learn more from a loss, than from accidentally winning. It helps to focus attention, and "stop believing your own press clippings."

Some teams did not need a loss to learn the lesson that the coaching staff knows more about winning than the "good enough - we won" mentality of some (extremely talented) players.

This was the focus of my submarine training, as second place in submarine warefare is at the bottom of the ocean, and not coming back... You have to learn from other's misfortune, as you do not have the ability to learn from your own losses, because you are no longer in the fight. The time you have to learn in the presence of people who have "been there" multiple times is precious and needs to be learned at maximum rate, and non-positive attitudes need to be left at the door.

The first step in being a positive fan is to take a deep breath, let it out and keep breathing. IT is in the past, learn from it and leave it in the past. Time to start building up again. Stop tearing down. Be kind to others, it may be your last time with them - make it a positive experience for them, if not you.

Reaction Score
Which is why those who observe people for a living say that 90% of the message communicated is in the body language and facial expression. Text messaging and newspapers catch none of that "90%" and hence the mismatch.

One of my favorite instructors in the military was a brilliant LT (prior enlisted sailor) who was a riverine boat mechanic in 'Nam said, "Don't believe anything you hear, and half of what you see." You did not see or hear what happened leading up to it [what you saw or heard]. Nothing gives full meaning without context....

Reaction Score
Back in the day... I coached Youth Baseball. After one close loss, I had a parent of one of my players tell me all the things he thought I was doing wrong, including not playing his kid enough or in the position he thought he should play. I listened carefully and attentively. I thanked him for his thoughts and asked... "Do you want to do it?" He immediately replied "No way am I doing it ... especially without getting paid." And he walked away.
I coached my daughter in travel softball and son in AAU basketball; I would love to have a dollar for every time I challenged a parent to come out of the stands and coach. Couldn’t do it when coaching in high school though.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
"Maybe expecting him to act like a professional will never be realized."

That incendiary remark about Geno Auriemma may tell us more about the commenter than about the coach. It also raises an interesting question: What, in the realm of coaching a college women's basketball team, does "professional" mean?

Obviously it doesn't refer to the classical definition of profession, which was limited to divinity, medicine, and law. Those three fields of endeavor have some fine members, along with a cast of ne'er-do-wells that have brought shame to their respective guilds. But that leaves us asking, "What's the difference between a profession and any paid occupation?"

Is it education? Membership in some sort of accrediting body? Honors bestowed by a self-perpetuating goup? Licensing by a local or state regulatory authority?

Let's see what the dictionaries have to offer for 'professional'.

Oxford-- adj. connected with a job that needs special training or skill, especially one that needs a high level of education.

noun. A person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport or branch of the performing arts, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

Merriam-Webster-- adj. characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession

noun. [This one is too self-referential to be of much use.]
one that is professional
especially : one that engages in a pursuit or activity professionally.

Well, all of that asks at least as many questions as it answers. Let's try another approach. What does a professional college coach do, or what is that coach supposed to do?

1- Recruit team members, ideally people with good potential to help the team.
2- Teach team members, individually and as a group, to
succeed in competition.
3- Plan for specific matches.
4- Prepare a team to execute game plans.
5- Adjust to "realities on the ground" during the course of games.
6- Be an effective spokesperson for the team one coaches, building and maintaining a loyal fan base.
7- (optional. Only for the more succesful practitioners.)
Be an effective spokesperson for the sport, attracting interest directly from potential fans, and indirectly through specialized media.

Of course there's a lot more to coaching, but the above may be a useful summary. Some coaches, certainly including the UConn wbb staff, give lots of attention to personal and academic growth as well as to basketball.

Now that we have some sort of baseline definition, we can get to the question a breathless few have been chomping at the bit to answer: Is Geno a professional?

Before answering, we might wish to take note of a few useful conditions:

A. A coach's professionalism is NOT determined by whether or not somebody likes their style.
B. Professional coaches may choose to fling garments such as jackets during games, but that is NOT a requirement. (The so-called Kim choice.)
C. Professionalism does NOT obligate a coach to forget the names of opponents's star players. (The Muffet exception.)
D. Professionals need not appear to be a merger of Kojak and a fire hydrant. (The Q condition.)
E. Banners. No, there is neither a prescription nor a proscription regarding banners.
F. Presentation style may range from pious (The Wooden manner) to down-home gibberish spewing (We hear you, Mr. Stengel.) to adorable/reprehensible snark. YMMV
G. Some professionals limit their recruiting to high school students; others start with elementary, pre-school, and even toddlers. (The fellow who wears plaid shirts rule.)

Ladies and Gennulmin, Start your engines...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
And you have proof that all successful businesses say the customer is always right. That is a saying not a reality
In business the customer is always right unless the customer is wrong. Strange in WCBB the only real customers are those who buy tickets, the rest of us are fans not customers. Those tickets should come with a disclaimer, our team does not offer a win in every game, nor do we guarantee to do things the way you may want us to. Your ticket in no way assures you that the coaching staff will bow to your every wish, we will do things the way we feel is best for the team, despite your overwhelming superior BB knowledge.
Please get a grip, if you have come to be a Husky fan, new, longtime, or forever there are a few irrefutable facts, you know you will get an honest effort from the players. You know you will see a well coached team, and you know you will get Geno, the GOAT of CBB. Love him or not, he coaches his team his way, not any other way. If you don't like what you get there are hundreds of other teams out there, leave, you won't be missed heck in 2 days you won't even be remembered. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a poor look by Geno. First, the UCONN always wins & when they dont everyone is also upset argument doesnt hold water any more. Maybe 5 years ago when UConn was so dominant, but not now when there is more balanced talent at the top. Stop patronizing the fans Geno.

But, the biggest grip I have is where is the self-reflection?? Geno was BADLY outcoached. The team was not ready (either mentally or physically) to play, Geno's game "scheme" played right into AU's strengths & then when it was clear it wasnt working, no in-game adjustments were made. I personally would say that this was the worse-coached "big game" of Geno's career - and he'd had a few of them the last 5 years. If Geno wants to protect the players, maybe a little humility & self-accountability is in order.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
This is a poor look by Geno. First, the UCONN always wins & when they dont everyone is also upset argument doesnt hold water any more. Maybe 5 years ago when UConn was so dominant, but not now when there is more balanced talent at the top. Stop patronizing the fans Geno.

But, the biggest grip I have is where is the self-reflection?? Geno was BADLY outcoached. The team was not ready (either mentally or physically) to play, Geno's game "scheme" played right into AU's strengths & then when it was clear it wasnt working, no in-game adjustments were made. I personally would say that this was the worse-coached "big game" of Geno's career - and he'd had a few of them the last 5 years. If Geno wants to protect the players, maybe a little humility & self-accountability is in order.
Wow, I will take another approach, we were flat out outplayed, that night the other team was better, it happens winning as in life comes with no guarantees.

Reaction Score
To me, the media and press that cover Uconn WBB shows more disrespect than anything I read on the BY.
The expectations that Uconn will go undefeated and go to final 4 is ingrained in them, even though each year we have a new group of players, doing it for the very first time. This year, with an very young team, the expectations were the same. Because they wear Uconn jerseys, they do not get the same respect as other teams pertaining to effort and accomplishments. Its more newsworthy when we lose.
Its a "story" to them when we are behind by a basket in the first two minutes of a game. "We are off to slow start" the announcers say. God forbid we are losing at halftime.

Its not easy being a Uconn fan, like always rooting for Goliath against a bunch of Davids. If Geno says we will be in nexts years FF, I believe him. Should my expectations be lower?
Lastly, this is a discussion board, there will always be a variety of different opinions. Mostly positive, some critical, why, because sports is something people want to talk about. If some people take this stuff too seriously, they made need thicker skin or do something else with their time.

Reaction Score
Like all the adults that reply here and insult the players cause they don’t play up to their expectations
Some here are critical of players on a technical level (some more accurate, informed and astute than others) and I think that's OK, comes with the territory. But the attacks on a personal level make me grit my teeth; those posters fear HuskyNan enough to veil and soften their language a bit, but their intent is always clear and insulting.

However, it seems like it's always open season on Geno every time there's a chance. No veiling code language required: the guy's a crumb. I'm no hero-worshipper, and I've made my share of criticisms over the years (usually factually based on his recollecting things incorrectly, or making choices he had said he would not make, he's far from perfect). But this thread is a good example of what can come out of the woodwork.

That last was a snarky comment and I'll likely delete it as soon as I cool off.

arch

Reaction Score
........those posters fear HuskyNan enough to veil and soften their language a bit, but their intent is always clear and insulting.
Which is?

Reaction Score

You make a really good point, saying that Geno could have protected his players with some self-accountability. When he didn't accept responsibility for , perhaps, taking Arizona lightly, and then when he criticized his plyers for being pouty and feeling sorry for themselves, I felt that he threw the loss on them. If he had shown some humility, admitted that they might have prepared a bit differently, then the howling might have been less. If, as many here proclaim ad infinitum, he cares so much for his players, protect them. Oh, and if Geno( the very wealthy Geno) can't take the heat , go coach in D2 or D3. Or quit pouting and feeling sorry for yourself. Fandom has always been made up of passionate fans, and always will be.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I suspect that most of you are of an age to remember a famous remark by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach in the late 1970's when their record was something like 0-14.

Immediately after yet another loss, a reporter asked him what he thought of his team's execution.

He replied, "I'm in favor of it."

Now THAT is throwing your team under the bus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you think Geno roots for teams? Do you think he ever has a negative thought about those teams? Do you think he knows what football, hockey, and basketball teams go through? Guarantee you he has negative thoughts because he has negative thoughts about his own team. Discussing sports is part of the fun. Never thought it was easy. Maybe that just makes him feel better to say it.

Reaction Score
I suspect that most of you are of an age to remember a famous remark by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach in the late 1970's when their record was something like 0-14.

Immediately a yet another loss, a reporter asked him what he thought of his team's execution.

That’s some serious quick thinking.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The difference being?
Customer is a transactional relationship. I don't root for Walmart, I just want what I pay for. Fanhood is an emotional attachment. I want the teams I root for to do well because it feels good.. I'm not shopping around for the best return on my emotional investment.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Immediately after yet another loss, a reporter asked him what he thought of his team's execution.

John McKay. That's a great quote, almost Churchillian.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom