OT: - Pellet stove vs propane | The Boneyard

OT: Pellet stove vs propane

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is either one better than the other?

Suggestions ? My house is under 700 sq ft, so I don’t need much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pellet stoves can be a pain - you’ve got to buy the fuel, the augers can and do jam which is a fire risk.

Propane for that size is the way to go

I use two wood stoves to heat our place upstate where we spend the majority of our time. I’ve had a lot of conversation with friends and dealers about wood v pellet and mike would choose pellet. They were very popular a few years back and have significantly dropped in popularity per dealers.

I can make an argument for wood but that’s not part of your consideration set.

My folks have propane on the cape and that thing heats pretty darn well

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
At our old house we had a Harman XXV pellet stove and a propane fireplace. I LOVED my pellet stove - it was more work, for sure, but I liked the work and I loved the feel of the heat it produced.

I didn’t feel the same way about the heat from the propane, and we were locked in a contract with the propane dealer who I thought was gouging us.

In this house we’re on natural gas and we have a gas fireplace. It’s fine, but I miss my pellet stove!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Pellet stoves can be a pain - you’ve got to buy the fuel, the augers can and do jam which is a fire risk.

Propane for that size is the way to go

I use two wood stoves to heat our place upstate where we spend the majority of our time. I’ve had a lot of conversation with friends and dealers about wood v pellet and mike would choose pellet. They were very popular a few years back and have significantly dropped in popularity per dealers.

I can make an argument for wood but that’s not part of your consideration set.

My folks have propane on the cape and that thing heats pretty darn well

If you have time, throw in a suggestion or two for wood stoves. I've had wood stoves in the past. My biggest problem was getting the fire started. Wood was easy to get, but tinder/kindling wasn't.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you have time, throw in a suggestion or two for wood stoves. I've had wood stoves in the past. My biggest problem was getting the fire started. Wood was easy to get, but tinder/kindling wasn't.
Vermont Castings. Our first house was around 1200 square feet and the Vermont Castings stove in the living room easily heated the entire place. Great stoves, easy to use.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Vermont Castings. Our first house was around 1200 square feet and the Vermont Castings stove in the living room easily heated the entire place. Great stoves, easy to use.

Is electricity needed? One of my reasons to add an additional heat source is that I lose electricity several times a year. When this happens in the winter, I'm out of luck, and out of heat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is electricity needed? One of my reasons to add an additional heat source is that I lose electricity several times a year. When this happens in the winter, I'm out of luck, and out of heat.
Nope. Zero electricity.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Had a pellet stove for several years. It is work but a lot less that a wood stove. We went thru 4 to 6 tons of pellets per season. A ton is 50 forty pound bags of pellets. So you need room to store the pellets and keep them dry. Depending on the size of the stove and outside temps, you could use 2 to 3 bags a day.

Cleaning takes about 20 to 30 minutes. I usually cleaned the stove after 10 bags. Basically you vacuum out the stove and clean the glass door if you have one.

A pellet stove needs electricity to operate. We had a whole house generator, propane fired, for when we lost power.

No experience with propane heaters.

Reaction Score
Laughing at the replies that pellet stoves are work.

CT Pellet delivers the palettes right into my garage. I throw a bag in and that’s good for the day on the lowest setting. Clean it every couple weeks with a shop vac that’s for cleaning stoves. My daughter starts in it the morning some days. Just push one button.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Logs per day? And how difficult to start a fire?
I never tracked the volume when I was using it as the exclusive heat source because that was infrequent; and it does take a little time to learn how to use it best for your purposes because there are a couple different settings that you need to adjust as it heats up and you simply want to maintain rather than build. I should also qualify that I am a pyromaniac and really, really enjoy starting, maintaining and watching fires. This stove is designed to throw a ton of heat and be run efficiently once cranking. It won't beat a pellet stove economically, but I find it much nicer to look at and, as I said, I like playing with fire.

It's not difficult at all to start a fire once you get used to it; but I did greatly appreciate the LL Bean Fatwood box my mother in law bought me once and then I was hooked on it.

Reaction Score

I can second the fatwood and leaving the door open a crack until there's a good fire and keeping the vent open to push air through

I've got a Jotul stove in the corner, small, but pumps out heat - I can't say enough good things about Jotul stoves

Here's a good small stove

Jøtul F 602 - Wood stoves - Products | Jøtul - 800sq ft of heat, but I'd go larger than that, you don't need to have your stove cranking at full bore all the time, you want to be able to moderate it.

Jotul F 500 Oslo CF - Wood stoves - Products | Jøtul

This is a bit larger stove

Jøtul F 3 CB - Wood stoves - Products | Jøtul

Two things to know - cast iron is great if you're using it all the time, but it you will only be using it on weekend or on occasion and need to heat quickly steel is the way to go.

We've also got a multi fuel boiler to heat the water that is in the basement, but I'm not comfortable with the way the chimney is routed so we don't use it. Perhaps this coming summer I'll re-route the chimney and use it - as it can burn and then the traditional oil fired boiler can kick on if the wood boiler dips below a set temp.

I love to cut wood, but I think the best way to do it is to get log lengths delivered and buck them and split them yourself.

I'll add an obligatory clean the chimney and use dry wood and if you're paying for pellets or wood - then why wouldn't you just pay for oil. Average home uses between 7-8 tons of pellets at $250 a ton - If I'm paying what my oil bill would be, I'll just use oil. When I stop enjoying cutting wood and have to pay for it - if it's close to the cost of oil that's when I'll stop burning wood.

Reaction Score
A tip on propane. If you buy and don’t rent the tank you are not subject to a dealer’s price and can shop around, because they usually won’t fill another company’s tanks.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is as a secondary heating source, since I would not use wood as a primary heat source. I considered a pellet stove to replace our cast iron stove in the ski house in Vt, but didn't think it was worth the hassle. If I was starting out, probably would go with the pellet as it is easier and can be used not just as a backup

Reaction Score
If your concern is heat while your power is out then a pellet stove is not for you unless you have a generator. When I was in CT I have the Harman XXV. The thing was outstanding and cranked out some serious heat but you need power for the auger and blower motor. Get yourself a Honda 2000 generator that you can multi-purpose for tailgating and powering appliances when your power is out. You are gonna want clean power for the pellet stove to reduce the risk of damaging the electronics as they are very sensitive.

I remember growing up we had a wood stove in the basement. That thing would heat all 1600 sq feet of the house. I also remember my father putting ashes in a paper grocery bag and nearly burning down all 1600 sq feet. In actuality is wasn't that bad, just a portion of the basement. My grandmother was in the basement smoking her cigarette with a raging inferno behind her. Right out of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Reaction Score
What are you heating with now?

I like propane stoves and fireplaces for their ease and efficiency. However, wood is what you’ll need if there is a power outage or if there is an economic/war/terror incident that temporarily changes life as we know it. For a guy with a small, efficient house and an interest in low cost living and independence, I’d say wood is the way to go. The only issue is, wood is work. Propane is all enjoyment. A flame to watch and effortless heat.

Reaction Score
I don’t use either but I had a friend who wanted to change propane dealers and it was a nightmare because the dealer owned the tank. Make sure to read the propane contract carefully so you know what your getting into.

Reaction Score
I don’t use either but I had a friend who wanted to change propane dealers and it was a nightmare because the dealer owned the tank. Make sure to read the propane contract carefully so you know what your getting into.
Exactly. I bought 2 120 gallon tanks for 2 fireplace propane stoves in fireplaces that i really like. I can call around and get the best price on propane. The stoves are high efficiency with blowers that can work without the blower in a power failure. they supplement my heating system and can be left to switch on and off automatically especially on very cold nights. My favorite time to have them on is when holding a drink during UCONN games in January and February (when we are on the way to a win).

Reaction Score
Exactly. I bought 2 120 gallon tanks for 2 fireplace propane stoves in fireplaces that i really like. I can call around and get the best price on propane. The stoves are high efficiency with blowers that can work without the blower in a power failure. they supplement my heating system and can be left to switch on and off automatically especially on very cold nights. My favorite time to have them on is when holding a drink during UCONN games in January and February (when we are on the way to a win).

Been a while since you got to enjoy one of your favorite times...

Reaction Score
Propane over pellet stove. If you can afford it, go with a ductless unit instead of either. My opinion. They are very good these days, and healthier.. ..have had several wood stoves, hearthstone and a quadrafire i have liked the best over them all (over jotul too). You might get tired of the pellet deal and toting wood over time. Not to mention air quality. But everyone’s situation is different. I think it depends upon ones age and physical capabilities. Wood is another name for “part time job”. ;-) . I’m putting in an HVAC system with an ERV myself. Giving my oak firewood away.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m in the same boat but am leaning towards a coal stove over a pellet stove.

Cheaper and cleaner. Probably a little more work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom