Peaches | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Peaches

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's not peach season yet locally.
i checked with my local orchard, Scott's Deep River,
What We Grow — scottsfarms.com
and they think the usual late july/early august starting bell might happen, so i ask 'bbut, bbut, the raspberries, which looked ready to pop for weeks now, ain't having none of that yet.' i'd bet the peaches will be late.
the holmberg place, never been there, website sez
'Peaches
Crop looks fantastic! We expect a slightly later start than 2021, as we have replanted our earliest varieties with better trees that ripen in late July.'
Pick Your Own - Holmberg Orchards
on the udder hand, and beside my pokeass raspberries, the lopes are now up to plum size.

as to peach fuzz as an issue for consumption, never heard that before, and so now

peaches rule, except when cantelope does, or mebbe that's raspberries rule, wait, mebbe im wrong, its blueberries, no, it's got to be apples, anyway, if you live in Connecticut, all of these (and more!) are available just down the road. cold watermelon on a hot day sure can be tasty..
there's a town outside Albany that's famous for their muskmelons.
deservedly so. have one and ur brain will melt.

buy local-it's the best!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Go ataulfo. Can’t argue with a perfect peach, but the dud to perfect ratio is way higher than ataulfo mangos.

Go-to breakfast for years: 1 ataulfo, blueberries, strawberries, shredded wheat cereal, fat free milk and black coffee. Served with a side of NYT and Boneyard and it’s pretty much perfect.
Sounds great, but lose the no-taste/no-texture fat-free milk. Hell, go oat milk if you're gonna do that.

fwiw, a friend's Colombian wife introduced me to a mango/avocado salsa (+ red onion, cilantro, lime juice) as the perfect accompaniment to salmon. I'll rarely eat salmon without it now. Was never a fan of peach salsas.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Bursa, Turkey. Those that know, know… No really, I was at Charleston before my stint in Turkey, so I knew peaches. Now Peaches, never saw her, wasn’t there, don’t know her… well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yep. I've added various things to the base myself, including cukes, jalapenos, ripe tomato. It's adaptable. For me, the key in using cukes in it is that they can't be too crisp.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Sounds great, but lose the no-taste/no-texture fat-free milk. Hell, go oat milk if you're gonna do that.

fwiw, a friend's Colombian wife introduced me to a mango/avocado salsa (+ red onion, cilantro, lime juice) as the perfect accompaniment to salmon. I'll rarely eat salmon without it now. Was never a fan of peach salsas.

Mango/avocado salsa is delicious. Do you use hass or green avocados? I may be in the minority but I prefer the green avocados and think hass are only good for guac.

On the topic of peaches...they are amazing when ripe. That is all.

Pluots (plum/apricot cross) are up there too but they seem to have a much higher dud rate than peaches.

Reaction Score
The other day I bought peaches from Costco and my girl asked how are the peaches that are white inside. I wasn’t sure. Anyways we got them and they are ok. Should have bought the regular ones though

Reaction Score
One difference with the fruits, is that picking blueberries and raspberries is so much more fun than picking other fruit. My opinion, anyway. Getting blueberries from the bushes, especially early in the season when the berries are so large, is just magical. I’m in my row and around me are other people/families and you just are surrounded by folks having fun and pleasant little conversations. My favorite place is in Putney VT just after Brattleboro- Green Mountain orchards.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the queen of England only allows fruit in season, to be served on her table.
just becuz we can fly in all sorts of stuff not in our local season, doesn't make it good, cuz it doesn't taste good, no matter how much they monkey around with genes.
lopes, peaches, corn, watermelon, raspberries, (blueberries earlier) and etc - late july to early september. prime time. local prime time that is.
New York state cherries rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom