Peaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Peaches

Reaction Score
Do you spray? I have fruit trees, but the bugs pretty much get everything.

I haven't sprayed it since I planted it and haven't had any major bug problems. It has gotten peach leaf curl disease every spring though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not long from now, I'll head off to a party on a lake in Middlefield, and will stop for the first time at Lyman Orchards for peaches.

Very little beats good fruit, but bad fruit is not only disappointing, but I feel badly for the fruit having reached full maturity in its only life and then being dry, flavorless, mealy, mushy or otherwise so much less than its best counterparts.

I'd add cherries to peaches & tomatoes as my top 3.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Mangos are awesome.

I swapped out my regular delicious breakfast that was apparently killing me, with a homemade smoothie. Mango packs a strong flavor punch in a smoothie and masks the taste of the fistful of kale I add.

I make smoothies a lot. Frozen mango is great in them.

Although in all other contexts I prefer kale to spinach (raw in salads; cooked with garlic), spinach is better in a smoothie. Kale has a grassy flavor that is tougher to mask.

Reaction Score
How good is a perfect peach? They are perfect right now. In season, hands down best fruit imo.

Agree?

Discuss. Or not.

To each, their peach. If you like them, go get some now.

I prefer nectarines to peaches because of the skin. But, if you peel and cut up a peach (a fresh one), OMG. Cut up a peach, throw it in a bowl, and spray whipped cream on top, and you're in heaven.

My mom made jars of her spiced peach jam today. Spread it on peanut butter sandwiches (throw in banana slices), toast, or english muffins........OMG!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I prefer nectarines to peaches because of the skin. But, if you peel and cut up a peach (a fresh one), OMG. Cut up a peach, throw it in a bowl, and spray whipped cream on top, and you're in heaven.

My mom made jars of her spiced peach jam today. Spread it on peanut butter sandwiches (throw in banana slices), toast, or english muffins...OMG!

Same here. The fuzz isn't worth it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mangoes are fine, but please, they are not remotely near the top of the amazing fruit list. The skin is a total non-starter, and the fruit is too often too fibrous.

Mangoes make better salsa though.

Mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, serrano, touch of olive oil. Superlative with a fatty fish.

And kale still sucks.

Reaction Score
Mangoes make better salsa though.

Mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, serrano, touch of olive oil. Superlative with a fatty fish.

And kale still sucks.

I also use leftover ears of corn and black beans. Lime squeeze too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wonder if @zymurg has any recipes for a peach thingy to soothe the Boneyard's aching bellies.

Reaction Score
Same here. The fuzz isn't worth it.
Wow. I've never heard of that before. I know people who have tactile issues - SIL won't eat mashed potatoes because of the texture - kid won't eat mushrooms because of the texture - but I've never heard it with peaches. Differences are what makes life interesting! Used to have a guy I delivered to who like 3x anchovy pizzas. It was like an episode of Fear Factor for me to even eat one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Peaches, nectarines and plums are perfect right now.

And so are squash blossoms.

Seems a little early, but I'm not complaining.

That is all.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Wow, as soon as I saw the title I knew it was going to be about this old topic. I do love peaches myself, but 8893 you must be bored a little ?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
8893 you must be bored a little ?
It's the off season, first day back from vacation and four hours away from first pitch for Mets vs. Braves. I've already gotten my workout in this morning and made it through my to do list, so my mind is wandering and thinking about the great squash blossoms and fruit I've had the past few days.

Reaction Score
Don't eat raw peaches. Like grilled peaches with the grilled fish (swordfish preferred). Peach smoothie with vodka and a couple of raspberries is a good summer drink

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love that "beer-thirty" comes early at your place!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom