Paul Myerberg (USA Today) article on Edsall | The Boneyard

Paul Myerberg (USA Today) article on Edsall

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall finds Connecticut changed and unchanged since contentious exit

As during his first turn, however, it will take time. In 2002, Edsall sat in a room with then-athletics director Lew Perkins and his successor, Jeff Hathaway, to discuss the road toward bowl contention. I don’t care if we win in 2002, Perkins said, but we need to win in 2005. Edsall asked for that in writing; Perkins complied. It’s a similar story more than a decade later: UConn might not win in 2017, but “we’re building a program, not a team,” said Edsall.

“There’s no doubt he’s going to need some time,” Benedict said. “Football’s like a battleship or an aircraft carrier. You don’t turn those things on a dime. They take a little time to make the turns and the moves. There’s no question that Randy understands the formula.

It’s a formula that seems largely unchanged. Edsall and his staff will recruit under-the-radar prospects with potential. In an American Athletic Conference loaded with up-tempo and no-huddle offenses, the Huskies’ approach will stand out for its relative simplicity. He’s given players a saying for this coming season: It’s earned, it’s not given.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It was a good article but I don't think the last part quoted is correct. It makes it sound like RE 2.0 approach will be the same as RE 1.o. I think Lashlee and Crocker would disagree. The offense will be simple. But it will also be uptempo and no huddle.

Reaction Score
It seems the current rebuild will be a lot harder. In the Big East, RE could tell recruits they were coming into a new program in a big time conference. In the AAC, that message won't work.

Reaction Score
No attack on the OP as I appreciate any and all content presented here from the fans. My remarks are aimed at the writer of the article.
Ho hum at best...Need a emoji for a yawn...Somebody could possibly sell some papers or generate revenue with a little homework. Why is it never printed one of the main reasons for Randy constantly looking elsewhere was his hatred for Hathaway? Something Randy taking the high road will not and has never publicly stated.

Having said that it was well known and on display for many here at a recruiting introduction event at Rentschler. When asked by someone in the audience why UConn could not pay more for assistants Randy with spittle flying pointed out Hathaway in the front row "ask him, ask him, ask him right there!" Hathaway was Diaco pants red.
It was well documented that UConn assistants were some of the lowest paid in the Big East. Nobody mentions Randy now has much more ching for assistants and a lot more of them! This being one of Warde Manuals understanding of what was needed although he did it for the wrong guy. :( :mad:

The writer titles the article on what Randy finds changed and unchanged in Ct which is fine but shallow at best. He could have touched on how different the competition he will be facing is.
Not to carry on but he could have actually noticed how much Randy has changed. As noted by Shaky above RE 1.0 money or not was way to conservative and never would have brought the likes of Lashlee & Crocker.
Glad someone in a national rag is at least looking at us though...;)

Reaction Score
I liked the article, though it could have been a little more in depth on the differences of 1.0 vs 2.0. As to what to expect this fall, I think we go and play 500 ball, and with luck maybe a little better than that. I think many on this board and in the media don't really know how good many of our underclassmen are. Big question mark is the offensive line, even there I think HCRE and his staff will make the best of this weak spot.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I liked the article, though it could have been a little more in depth on the differences of 1.0 vs 2.0. As to what to expect this fall, I think we go and play 500 ball, and with luck maybe a little better than that. I think many on this board and in the media don't really know how good many of our underclassmen are. Big question mark is the offensive line, even there I think HCRE and his staff will make the best of this weak spot.
I am hoping and praying you're right, because it's been a craptacular athletic 2016-2017 for the Huskies and we deserve a few breaks.

Reaction Score
I am hoping and praying you're right, because it's been a craptacular athletic 2016-2017 for the Huskies and we deserve a few breaks.
Our underclassmen, some of which were freshman redshirts last season, will surprise some people next fall. Two on defense and two on offense, that I'm very hopeful will help the team.

Reaction Score
"It's earned, it's not given"

I think this quote right here is something all of us, as fans, and especially the athletic department need to hear. It's earned, it's not given. You too KO. Randy, I'm happy you are back old friend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Edsall entered his (old) office. He found that Paul Pasqualoni hadn’t changed a thing. That all Bob Diaco had done was install a new sign above the desk – Diaco, who was fired in December after three seasons, made few cosmetic changes to the facility, mostly in adding splashes of his favorite color, red.

Burn!

Reaction Score
It was a good article but I don't think the last part quoted is correct. It makes it sound like RE 2.0 approach will be the same as RE 1.o. I think Lashlee and Crocker would disagree. The offense will be simple. But it will also be uptempo and no huddle.

I don't think the focus was scheme. It was big picture. Speaking of big picture....

No attack on the OP as I appreciate any and all content presented here from the fans. My remarks are aimed at the writer of the article.
Ho hum at best...Need a emoji for a yawn...Somebody could possibly sell some papers or generate revenue with a little homework. Why is it never printed one of the main reasons for Randy constantly looking elsewhere was his hatred for Hathaway? Something Randy taking the high road will not and has never publicly stated.

Having said that it was well known and on display for many here at a recruiting introduction event at Rentschler. When asked by someone in the audience why UConn could not pay more for assistants Randy with spittle flying pointed out Hathaway in the front row "ask him, ask him, ask him right there!" Hathaway was Diaco pants red.
It was well documented that UConn assistants were some of the lowest paid in the Big East. Nobody mentions Randy now has much more ching for assistants and a lot more of them! This being one of Warde Manuals understanding of what was needed although he did it for the wrong guy. :( :mad:

The writer titles the article on what Randy finds changed and unchanged in Ct which is fine but shallow at best. He could have touched on how different the competition he will be facing is.
Not to carry on but he could have actually noticed how much Randy has changed. As noted by Shaky above RE 1.0 money or not was way to conservative and never would have brought the likes of Lashlee & Crocker.

It's a short story in a national paper on a football that barely registers a blip in the national college football landscape. The average reader doesn't care about Hathaway, tension between the two, what our assistants made, or what happened 6 years ago to cause him to leave.

I'd bet a fair amount that he had a word limit, and the more interesting story is what will happen now that he's back. This story was a preview of more to come if he turns us back into a program than can reach the top 25 and a NYD bowl game.

For 's sake, we won 24 games in 6 years and the USA Today decided to publish a borderline optimistic story about the program. Stop whining and be thankful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No mention if the repository for healthy snacks is being changed back into the kicker's conference room?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Do we dare to use the "f" word to describe our offense ... fun?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It seems the current rebuild will be a lot harder. In the Big East, RE could tell recruits they were coming into a new program in a big time conference. In the AAC, that message won't work.
The AAC is a pretty good conference. We had more NFL picks than the Big 12. Overall, we're closer to the Big 12 than the MAC or Sunbelt (even if the money says otherwise).

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
You are dead right about Hathaway. I know that Randy asked again for his assistantsecond to be better paid. As each one left, he was successful. Jeffy went to the NCAA and helped screw UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom