Patterson ready to dunk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Patterson ready to dunk

Reaction Score
Most of these kids can barely control the ball with one hand, but need to in order to get it over the rim. Not Griner, of course. Notably, Toby Fournier uses two hands, because she's a leaper. Ayanna is also a two-handed dunker. For them, the challenge doesn't seem to be getting above the rim, which means their dunk isn't so precarious, and therefore not as risky in game play.

What's more, since Ayanna can get above the rim without a run up, I expect there to be lots of occasions for her to muscle up from the post to throw it down. To defend it, you'd have to knock it out of her hands, which may be easier said than done.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Ayanna as a dunker is similar to Belibe so maybe 1-2 dunks a year under ideal
conditions I seem to recall Belibe's first dunk led to some decent ESPN like coverage but it seemed to diminish or disappear as it became less singular.

But no doubt, a successful dunk excites the players and fans.
Right now, 6'1" Fran Belibi (Stanford) is recognized as the most prolific female dunker in WCBB. But........she's not alone. There are others here and on the horizon. Take a look. Ayanna is featured in this video. In one scene, she dunks with 2 hands. :eek:

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The problem I see with dunking in wbb is that for the most part players have to stretch their athleticism to it's limit and the result is that they lose precision. I'd be happier if Patterson led the nation in blocks rather than dunks.
I agree about the upper limits. I believe Maya said she would be more likely to dunk early in a game, because she might not have the legs late in a game. Some players, however, seem to have plenty to spare. I’d put Jonquel, BG, Belibi, and maybe Ayanna in that category.

Reaction Score
Most of these kids can barely control the ball with one hand, but need to in order to get it over the rim. Not Griner, of course. Notably, Toby Fournier uses two hands, because she's a leaper. Ayanna is also a two-handed dunker. For them, the challenge doesn't seem to be getting above the rim, which means their dunk isn't so precarious, and therefore not as risky in game play.

What's more, since Ayanna can get above the rim without a run up, I expect there to be lots of occasions for her to muscle up from the post to throw it down. To defend it, you'd have to knock it out of her hands, which may be easier said than done.

My worry is that defenders will undercut a dunker and cause an injury. Officials let a lot of contact in the act of shooting go uncalled inside and defenders aren't used to defending leapers. Muhl took a simple jump shot in the paint against GT in the BET as a freshman and the defender stepped under her and Mühl came down on the defender's leg, resulting in a high ankle sprain that limited her in the NCAA's. Getting hit in the legs when you are 3 feet off the floor can cause serious injury. It just isn't worth it.
I thought Maya's finger roll was a much more elegant move.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now, 6'1" Fran Belibi (Stanford) is recognized as the most prolific female dunker in WCBB. But........she's not alone. There are others here and on the horizon. Take a look. Ayanna is featured in this video. In one scene, she dunks with 2 hands. :eek:

Hopefully, Ayanna has a much greater impact on the basketball court than Belibi who started only 4/35 Stanford games as a junior, averaging just 13.6 mpg. If Ayanna is only playing 13.6 mpg as a junior, she will be a huge disappointment. Rest assured that Geno, CD and company have much greater expectations for Ayanna.

Reaction Score
My worry is that defenders will undercut a dunker and cause an injury. Officials let a lot of contact in the act of shooting go uncalled inside and defenders aren't used to defending leapers. Muhl took a simple jump shot in the paint against GT in the BET as a freshman and the defender stepped under her and Mühl came down on the defender's leg, resulting in a high ankle sprain that limited her in the NCAA's. Getting hit in the legs when you are 3 feet off the floor can cause serious injury. It just isn't worth it.
We already saw this in the Villanova game in the last BE tournament. Mullins submarined Aaliyah on a rebound. In that case Aaliyah landed on top of her and Mullins was called for the foul and went to the bench as a result of the impact. Creighton also got caught in a similar situation when one of their players tried to box out someone who’d already leapt for the ball. It was against Aaliyah again iirc, but I don’t remember the Creighton player.

Reaction Score
We already saw this in the Villanova game in the last BE tournament. Mullins submarined Aaliyah on a rebound. In that case Aaliyah landed on top of her and Mullins was called for the foul and went to the bench as a result of the impact. Creighton also got caught in a similar situation when one of their players tried to box out someone who’d already leapt for the ball. It was against Aaliyah again iirc, but I don’t remember the Creighton player.

I see undercutting all the time now. A big player is boxed out by a smaller player who sticks her butt back into the bigger player and backs up. A classic example was in a UConn-Stanford game. A shot went up and Nneka slid down the baseline and attempted to back into Dolson to displace her from rebounding position. Dolson sidestepped the move and Nneka stumbled backward and knocked over another UConn player who tried to cushion the fall and landed on her elbow. The crowd hushed from her scream. She missed several games. Can you name the UConn player? Of course, the displacement was ignored by the refs and the media.
Displacement is supposed to be illegal but refs ignore it for the most part in the paint. And then they call fouls outside if the defender's finger brushes the shooter's jersey.

Reaction Score
If by displacement you mean what I mean by submarining — ie boxing out against a player who’s already in the air — it looks to me like the BE refs have been calling it pretty well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I see undercutting all the time now. A big player is boxed out by a smaller player who sticks her butt back into the bigger player and backs up. A classic example was in a UConn-Stanford game. A shot went up and Nneka slid down the baseline and attempted to back into Dolson to displace her from rebounding position. Dolson sidestepped the move and Nneka stumbled backward and knocked over another UConn player who tried to cushion the fall and landed on her elbow. The crowd hushed from her scream. She missed several games. Can you name the UConn player? Of course, the displacement was ignored by the refs and the media.
Displacement is supposed to be illegal but refs ignore it for the most part in the paint. And then they call fouls outside if the defender's finger brushes the shooter's jersey.
Yes, it was Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis on Monday November 11, 2013. KML was reported out indefinitely after suffering a nerve contusion of the right elbow in the 76-57 victory over No. 3 Stanford at Gampel Pavilion, the team announced. An MRI administered the next day revealed the damage.

UConn's KML out indefinitely with elbow injury​

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A whole buncha’ practice dunks in that clip with no defenders. Only one player in that clip has game time dunks - and even her’s are uncontested breakaways. Yes, belibi has dunked a few times in games and someone recently posted an impressive Fournier game-time dunk but let’s face it, they are rare.

Appreciate their leaping ability for its potential to rebound and block/alter shots. The importance of dunks themselves are minimal. Show me a video history of dunks in games between top flight teams. It will be a very short clip.

We too have a heralded freshman dunker coming aboard this year. I very VERY seriously doubt she will have double digit dunks during her entire collegiate career (more like 5 max) , and I expect none against good teams that play defense. I care only because it shows her potential for rebounds and blocks - I’m just not excited about dunks.

Nobody alters a defensive scheme to account for a dunker. An Azzi Fudd level jump shooter is a different story. Gotta’ account for that hot handed three! Good luck to Ayanna ( except against top defenses -wink). I expect her to be an excellent rebounder/shot blocker. But dunks? meh. I’m not on the train for her - or our frosh - or anybody else.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
My point.
If you CAN make it, at the right time, under the right circumstances: Take IT! It is a high percentage shot.
Once again.........I’m going to step out on a limb, but not too far. I’m predicting right now on September 24, 3 weeks before official practice begins, that Patterson flushes not one but two down THIS season.

IMO, this is low-hanging fruit. Not much risk in being wrong. 31 regular season games and 3 post-season tournament games. That’s 34 games. I like the odds. Numerous opportunities should present themselves throughout the year. She may not wait until the latter half of the season when UConn begins to play against less talented midmajor Big East teams. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once again.........I’m going to step out on a limb, but not too far. I’m predicting right now on September 24, 3 weeks before official practice begins, that Patterson flushes not one but two down THIS season.

IMO, this is low-hanging fruit. Not much risk in being wrong. 31 regular season games and 3 post-season tournament games. That’s 34 games. I like the odds. Numerous opportunities should present themselves throughout the year. She may not wait until the latter half of the season when UConn begins to play against less talented midmajor Big East teams. :D
Okay. Let’s make friendly avatar bet of one week. I’ll bet she doesn’t get two in her “true freshman” year,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know how I will celebrate an Ayanna Dunk .

Am I the only one who sees an NIL deal for Ayanna?? A UConn fan promotion ? :cool:

1664073091106.png

Reaction Score
I’d go further out on that limb, merely because Ayanna is a two-handed, stand-still dunker. She doesn’t need a run up or a fast break, like pretty much all the other college women who dunk. All she needs is a point guard to drive and dish to her — no dribble, just pivot and muscle the ball up and through.

I still remember a kid I used to play pickup games with in high school who could dunk. He was only about 5’10” and lanky, but couldn’t completely control the ball with one hand. He had to hold it in the crook of palm and wrist on the way up. I remember the first time he did it, it blew the rest of us away. We weren’t expecting anything like that from him, and it took a moment to recover our senses. Watching Belibi dunk reminds me of him. It’s surprising and gratifying. But it also feels precarious, like she might lose the ball on the way up. This is absolutely not the impression I get watching Ayanna dunk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d go further out on that limb, merely because Ayanna is a two-handed, stand-still dunker. She doesn’t need a run up or a fast break, like pretty much all the other college women who dunk. All she needs is a point guard to drive and dish to her — no dribble, just pivot and muscle the ball up and through.

I still remember a kid I used to play pickup games with in high school who could dunk. He was only about 5’10” and lanky, but couldn’t completely control the ball with one hand. He had to hold it in the crook of palm and wrist on the way up. I remember the first time he did it, it blew the rest of us away. We weren’t expecting anything like that from him, and it took a moment to recover our senses. Watching Belibi dunk reminds me of him. It’s surprising and gratifying. But it also feels precarious, like she might lose the ball on the way up. This is absolutely not the impression I get watching Ayanna dunk.

Has Ayanna ever dunked in a high school game? If not, I doubt if she does it in a college game. I would love to see it.

Reaction Score
Has Ayanna ever dunked in a high school game? If not, I doubt if she does it in a college game. I would love to see it.
Homestead didn’t have a point guard who could consistently drive and dish the ball to Ayanna in a position to throw it down in the lane. I’m not talking about the usual lob in to a post up scenario.

They had a few good perimeter shooters, and some scrappy defenders. But crisp interior passing off the drive is something they lacked. This won’t be a problem at UConn.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I figured predicting 2 dunks this year was safe. I’ve already had to eat a crow soufflé recently. It was nasty, and I had a hard time getting that “God-awful” rancid taste out of my mouth. :confused: I noticed the hops Ayanna displayed in the short practice video posted this week. She was jumping like she was on a pogo stick. She has no problem getting lift standing flat-footed jumping on her toes and the balls of her feet.

But I digress, dunking is nice, and it sends the crowd into a frenzy. Especially if she gets a running start, holds the ball over her head and flushes one ala “The Doctor” Julius Erving. But I'd much rather see Patterson be consistent in her play all season than get one dunk. THAT would help win games.

If she "rocks the baby" and puts her to sleep, especially against a ranked team, THAT would make me get up out of my recliner and fist pump the air. I might even say a cuss word or two. THAT PLAY would be all over Sports Center.......and rightfully so. :eek: Look at the reaction from the fans. Spectacular dunks get people out of their seats!!! Nobody gets out of their seat for a made layup. The narrator was the Hall of Fame Laker broadcaster Chick Hearn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I figured predicting 2 dunks this year was safe. I’ve already had to eat a crow soufflé recently. It was nasty, and I had a hard time getting that “God-awful” rancid taste out of my mouth. :confused: I noticed the hops Ayanna displayed in the short practice video posted this week. She was jumping like she was on a pogo stick. She has no problem getting lift standing flat-footed jumping on her toes and the balls of her feet.

But I digress, dunking is nice, and it sends the crowd into a frenzy. Especially if she gets a running start, holds the ball over her head and flushes one ala “The Doctor” Julius Erving. But I'd much rather see Patterson be consistent in her play all season than get one dunk. THAT would help win games.

If she "rocks the baby" and puts her to sleep, especially against a ranked team, THAT would make me get up out of my recliner and fist pump the air. I might even say a cuss word or two. THAT PLAY would be all over Sports Center.......and rightfully so. :eek: Look at the reaction from the fans. Spectacular dunks get people out of their seats!!! Nobody gets out of their seat for a made layup. The narrator was the Hall of Fame Laker broadcaster Chick Hearn.

Excellent video clip. Michael Cooper is so gracious in his remarks at the end.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Some of the "filthiest" dunks in NBA history. Enjoy. :)

I forgot that Vince Carter is the same height as Michael Jordan......6'6". He didn't look that tall on TV. :confused:

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I guess, although, if I recall correctly Maia received a forearm shiver in the back from a Rutgers player while attempting that elegant finger roll that knocked her to the ground and resulted in her being limited during the playoffs that year.

Reaction Score

A great post, to a great link, to an incredible shot! U MASS's Greatest Player! THANKS, Z

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom