Paige ++ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige ++

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1590965441698.png

Reaction Score
GOOD POINT
You do realize coming out of HS Cash Jones and Williams all were the same height and had similar games. Today we see players who can play many roles on the court. If you can you will play. Look at the Baylor, and SC Rosters overloaded with size. Yes, someone may leave, but it seems players go to the school they really want to and worry about the rest later.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have watched many Paige videos...You Tube, Boneyard bits, etc.....In my many yrs involved in women's bb, I have never seen a kid more impressive. She appears to be incredible..bb and personal. I am excited & can't wait to see what Geno will do w/her. I am sure he has the plan. She knew to choose the right college. I love Anna & I think I 1st coined the term 'Watch Anna Bloom...The Azzi kid could be just as good as Paige..hope Geno is able to land her....will be watching the Maya N. kid from Hopkins, I like her.
This is a jigsaw puzzle & coach will figure it out...excitement from an old old fan...Especially these days.

Let's hope she lives up to ALL the hype.........and soon! We could use the boost in morale and moxie. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They do have a lot of work to do however.
Yes, but there are several factors that give me a great deal of confidence that Geno & CD will succeed:
  • Raw talent: Piath is big, strong and she runs the court
  • Potential: Piath has very limited basketball experience. Once she learns some of the basics under the best coaching staff in the business her upside is tremendous.
  • Genetics: Piath’s sister, who also had limited experience became a solid D1 player at BU. Her brother Wenyen is a spectacularly athletic player who has bounced back and forth between the D-League and the NBA.

Reaction Score
Yes, but there are several factors that give me a great deal of confidence that Geno & CD will succeed:
  • Raw talent: Piath is big, strong and she runs the court
  • Potential: Piath has very limited basketball experience. Once she learns some of the basics under the best coaching staff in the business her upside is tremendous.
  • Genetics: Piath’s sister, who also had limited experience became a solid D1 player at BU. Her brother Wenyen is a spectacularly athletic player who has bounced back and forth between the D-League and the NBA.
Hopefully! Because the expectations for her given her rankings are modest, her ability to exceed those expectations are pretty good. A big that is fairly strong and reasonably athletic should be a good rebounder and defender at a minimum. If the ballhandling/passing/shooting skills don't develope or are not there, then at least limit turnovers, make sound if not creative passes, and know what is a good shot for you and the team. Maybe a low volume high efficiency scorer with minimal turnovers at least for a big, and a relatively good assist/turnover ratio (again for a big).

Kia Stokes might be an example of the type of player Piath might shoot to be, probably not as good on defense/rebounding as Kia, but still good, and who knows in time Piath might have more offensive potential if she gets any usable low post game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hopefully! Because the expectations for her given her rankings are modest, her ability to exceed those expectations are pretty good. A big that is fairly strong and reasonably athletic should be a good rebounder and defender at a minimum. If the ballhandling/passing/shooting skills don't develope or are not there, then at least limit turnovers, make sound if not creative passes, and know what is a good shot for you and the team. Maybe a low volume high efficiency scorer with minimal turnovers at least for a big, and a relatively good assist/turnover ratio (again for a big).
Kia Stokes might be an example of the type of player Piath might shoot to be, probably not as good on defense/rebounding as Kia, but still good, and who knows in time Piath might have more offensive potential if she gets any usable low post game.
Kia Stokes level of performance is neither a modest or reasonable level of expectation for Piath.
Prior to arriving at UCONN Stokes averaged 25.0 points, 14.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game as a High School senior. Stokes was Gatorade State Player of the year in the basketball crazy state of Iowa. She was McDonald's, Parade Magazine, WBCA All-American. Prior to arriving at UCONN stokes had also played USA age group basketball. While these are not absolute credentials, UCONN starters and contributors "usually" (always?) have these or better credentials. Even the previously mentioned Heather Buck was the state POY as a senior in HS.
Piath is from New Hampshire, the NH state HS POY last season was a 5'5" guard. Piath is 6'5" and I would have expected to find her name on some NH all state team or DPOY, or something. The list below is voted on by coaches not the media. A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor. CD and Geno are the best but Paith must do the heavy lifting here.
This is about as heavy as the lifting gets for not only Piath but also for UCONN WBB.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts on Ice/Maya, etc.

I've seen Ice play several times. She's going to be terrific. She is a legit 6'3" and no taller. Maybe she has some growth left in her. We will see. She has a mature hoops body for a young lady her age, meaning she's not thin or fat - just solid. She is a solid passer and very capable of hitting the 3 - ie. stepping out with mid range or deep shots.

Have not seen Maya nor Lauren play except on video, but they seem to thrive closer to the basket. I believe both could thrive at UCONN along side Ice.

One other name - Breya Cunningham. She's still listed at 6'2" by HG (wrong). She's at least 1", if not slightly more, taller than Ice. In the 1 game I saw them play vs. each other, Breya gave Ice all she could handle and vice versa. I think Ice was a tad better, but just slightly, and Ice is a year older. Breya is going to be terrific too as she develops.

Funny story - Ice is NOT a social media maven. I don't know if she even has an IG or snapchat account. I was told that she and Breya have quite the rivalry - Breya's family videos/photographs games, and when they play each other, Breya will post pictures of her blocking or scoring on Ice, and add some rivalry smack talk. Ice only finds out about it when her teammates are like "hey did you see what Breya posted in IG?!!!" LOL. I thought that was entertaining. Ice is a sweet kid in person, but tough as nails on the court. Fans will LOVE her.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor. CD and Geno are the best but Paith must do the heavy lifting here.
This is about as heavy as the lifting gets for not only Piath but also for UCONN WBB.

One of your responses to oldude in essence claimed that Gabriel does not count when factoring in possible post contributors. It would be one thing if your position was being a contributor was unlikely, or that being a starter was impossible (not saying I agree with that), but the above quote states that being a post contributor is not possible. There is both precedence and something unprecedented you are overlooking.

There is precedence for the staff developing players who were not all state into contributing posts. Gardler was all-city, but not all state. She became a 6'0" post contributor. I do not believe Wolters made an all-state team, I could not find any record of it, and she became a POY post. There are other unheralded players who did well at UConn, a testament that the UConn staff is quite good at player development when the right situation exists, but the focus is on posts.

What is unprecedented is an undeveloped post with the size, athleticism and solid build of Gabriel. You can point to Buck, Stokes (or Phillips, Kern, whomever) as precedence for why Gabriel cannot contribute as a post, but none of them have the analogous combination of physical traits (Not even Stokes, who lacks 2 inches. The prior post most like Gabriel would be Schumacher). Gabriel may not become a post contributor depending on the situation. Certainly if we rope Betts, Nnaji or yet any other post already more developed the chances go down, but to declare that "A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor" no matter the situation is not frank realism, but pessimism.

Reaction Score
... Piath is from New Hampshire, the NH state HS POY last season was a 5'5" guard. Piath is 6'5" and I would have expected to find her name on some NH all state team or DPOY, or something. The list below is voted on by coaches not the media. A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor. CD and Geno are the best but Paith must do the heavy lifting here.

I'm just spitballing here, but perhaps the reason Piath didn't make any NH All-State tean is that she played HS basketball in MA at Bedford Christian. Admittedly, I did not research All-State in MA but until that is done maybe we should hold off on disparaging her for not be an All-State player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm just spitballing here, but perhaps the reason Piath didn't make any NH All-State tean is that she played HS basketball in MA at Bedford Christian. Admittedly, I did not research All-State in MA but until that is done maybe we should hold off on disparaging her for not be an All-State player.
A light went on after reading your post. Bradford Christian is a small, independent, K-12 school with only 196 total students. Bradford Christian plays other small independent schools in NE. It may not be affiliated with the Massachusetts HSAA, and therefore its athletes may not be eligible for all-state recognition.

When I lived in FL, there were a number of small, religious schools that competed outside of the FHSAA. These schools did not compete in FHSAA championships and their athletes were not eligible for All-state recognition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One of your responses to oldude in essence claimed that Gabriel does not count when factoring in possible post contributors. It would be one thing if your position was being a contributor was unlikely, or that being a starter was impossible (not saying I agree with that), but the above quote states that being a post contributor is not possible. There is both precedence and something unprecedented you are overlooking.

There is precedence for the staff developing players who were not all state into contributing posts. Gardler was all-city, but not all state. She became a 6'0" post contributor. I do not believe Wolters made an all-state team, I could not find any record of it, and she became a POY post. There are other unheralded players who did well at UConn, a testament that the UConn staff is quite good at player development when the right situation exists, but the focus is on posts.

What is unprecedented is an undeveloped post with the size, athleticism and solid build of Gabriel. You can point to Buck, Stokes (or Phillips, Kern, whomever) as precedence for why Gabriel cannot contribute as a post, but none of them have the analogous combination of physical traits (Not even Stokes, who lacks 2 inches. The prior post most like Gabriel would be Schumacher). Gabriel may not become a post contributor depending on the situation. Certainly if we rope Betts, Nnaji or yet any other post already more developed the chances go down, but to declare that "A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor" no matter the situation is not frank realism, but pessimism.
I cannot verify that Wolters ever made an all-state team either, however her HS records are still standing in Massachusetts almost 3 decades later. Kara was also representing USA in international competition shortly after arriving at UCONN is what was essentially USA basketball before it was formalized.
Meghan played in the Philadelphia Catholic League. Catholic league teams were not able to compete in PA State championships or earn all state designation until around 2011 and Meghan graduated HS in 2006. Meghan was the Philadelphia Catholic League MVP as a senior and definitely among the best players in the state. Regarding Meghan being a UCONN post contributor, Meghan's UCONN recruiting class included both Tina Charles and Kaili Mclaren. Cassie Kerns was a sophomore when Meghan arrived and Brittnay Hunter was junior. With that list of teammates UCONN was not going to need much post contributions from Meghan. Regardless, if the Meghan Gardler level of post contribution is what you are projecting for Piath it sounds like you are sharing in my pessimism.:eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kia Stokes level of performance is neither a modest or reasonable level of expectation for Piath.
Prior to arriving at UCONN Stokes averaged 25.0 points, 14.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game as a High School senior. Stokes was Gatorade State Player of the year in the basketball crazy state of Iowa. She was McDonald's, Parade Magazine, WBCA All-American. Prior to arriving at UCONN stokes had also played USA age group basketball. While these are not absolute credentials, UCONN starters and contributors "usually" (always?) have these or better credentials. Even the previously mentioned Heather Buck was the state POY as a senior in HS.
Piath is from New Hampshire, the NH state HS POY last season was a 5'5" guard. Piath is 6'5" and I would have expected to find her name on some NH all state team or DPOY, or something. The list below is voted on by coaches not the media. A player is not going to go from not making a NH HS Girls All-State team, to being a UCONN post contributor. CD and Geno are the best but Paith must do the heavy lifting here.
She did not play for a NH school. She played in the same league as Caroline Ducharme

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabriel was in the same prep league as Ducharme and Boston.
Same league but a world of difference in talent and performance in that league. See PDF at the bottom of this post.
News - Girls' Varsity Basketball - NEPSAC.

Thank you for pointing out that Piath played her prep ball in MA.
I'm not disparaging her, I am tempering some expectation of her being a UCONN post starter or contributor which is a very high standard.

She did not play for a NH school. She played in the same league as Caroline Ducharme
Caroline Ducharme was named Mass. Gatorade player of the year. Another UCONN prospect Shay Bollin's name appears on all list among the best players in the state first as a freshman and again as Sophomore. Piath's names does not appear on any list of the best players in the state that I can find. Can you?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The one unfortunate factor for Piath is that there is no AAU ball this summer, as far as I know. She certainly would have benefited from a summer of tough competition.
There was going to be no AAU ball for Piath this summer (2020). High School seniors do not play AAU in the summer unless there are unusual circumstances such as being unsigned or where the prep player may be seeking another prep season in a private school league that allows such players to be eligible.
Tougher competition for her was going to happen during pickup games at UCONN summer session which appears to also be in jeopardy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A light went on after reading your post. Bradford Christian is a small, independent, K-12 school with only 196 total students. Bradford Christian plays other small independent schools in NE. It may not be affiliated with the Massachusetts HSAA, and therefore its athletes may not be eligible for all-state recognition.
When I lived in FL, there were a number of small, religious schools that competed outside of the FHSAA. These schools did not compete in FHSAA championships and their athletes were not eligible for All-state recognition.
You might as well forget about all-state. Bradford Christian players are definitely eligible for All-League recognition from the NEPSAC. During this past season HS Freshman Alana Scott. of Bradford Christian made the All-NEPSAC team. Another Bradford Christian player Sophie Tougas class of 2020 ( same class as Piath) made honorable mention.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With all that has just been said, I think Piath will be at the very least a contributor and more than likely a better than average post player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With all that has just been said, I think Piath will be at the very least a contributor and more than likely a better than average post player.
I'm honestly hoping you are right and I'm proven to wrong because that would be best for UCONN. Contributions in the post is the most pressing need for UCONN team for the next two seasons IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If as a freshman she can contribute 8 minutes a game and average 2 points, 3-4 rebounds and a blocked shot I'll be very happy.........having an additional five fouls to give from the post will be a delight!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I cannot verify that Wolters ever made an all-state team either, however her HS records are still standing in Massachusetts almost 3 decades later. Kara was also representing USA in international competition shortly after arriving at UCONN is what was essentially USA basketball before it was formalized.
Meghan played in the Philadelphia Catholic League. Catholic league teams were not able to compete in PA State championships or earn all state designation until around 2011 and Meghan graduated HS in 2006. Meghan was the Philadelphia Catholic League MVP as a senior and definitely among the best players in the state. Regarding Meghan being a UCONN post contributor, Meghan's UCONN recruiting class included both Tina Charles and Kaili Mclaren. Cassie Kerns was a sophomore when Meghan arrived and Brittnay Hunter was junior. With that list of teammates UCONN was not going to need much post contributions from Meghan. Regardless, if the Meghan Gardler level of post contribution is what you are projecting for Piath it sounds like you are sharing in my pessimism.:eek:
There were few college suitors to Wolters, I believe her limited choices were BC or UConn. I guess they were not suitably impressed with her records for a particular high school as a 6'7" post. Gardler may have been one of the best players in the state (I don't know), but she was not in the top 100 for the country, which makes me a little skeptical of your claim that she could have been HS All-State. The BY pessimists at the time were in angst, claiming she was recruited only because of the personal connection of her Dad with Auriemma. The BY scuttlebutt on her was much like it was for Conlon, but that just goes to show how much we know.

Gardler's post contribution was lauded by Auriemma and critical in a few games, one against Rutgers in particular. She filled the role of fourth "big" well on a couple of very good teams and was ahead of the taller Kerns in the depth chart when they coexisted. If Gabriel makes that level of contribution that is not pessimism; she may, indeed, surpass it if the situation aligns, considering she as physical attributes similar to Schumacher but in need of development. I get that you want another post player. I have no problem with that. Throwing Gabriel under the bus in the process is what I find problematic. Frankly, it seems to me you are venturing onto ever thinner ice as you emphatically stick to an exaggeration.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There were few college suitors to Wolters, I believe her limited choices were BC or UConn. I guess they were not suitably impressed with her records for a particular high school as a 6'7" post. Gardler may have been one of the best players in the state (I don't know), but she was not in the top 100 for the country, which makes me a little skeptical of your claim that she could have been HS All-State. The BY pessimists at the time were in angst, claiming she was recruited only because of the personal connection of her Dad with Auriemma. The BY scuttlebutt on her was much like it was for Conlon, but that just goes to show how much we know.

Gardler's post contribution was lauded by Auriemma and critical in a few games, one against Rutgers in particular. She filled the role of fourth "big" well on a couple of very good teams and was ahead of the taller Kerns in the depth chart when they coexisted. If Gabriel makes that level of contribution that is not pessimism; she may, indeed, surpass it if the situation aligns, considering she as physical attributes similar to Schumacher but in need of development. I get that you want another post player. I have no problem with that. Throwing Gabriel under the bus in the process is what I find problematic. Frankly, it seems to me you are venturing onto ever thinner ice as you emphatically stick to an exaggeration.
I had a front row seat for the Meghan Gardler experience so there should be no skepticism. My oldest daughter was one of Meghan's chief antagonist since their days in CYO ball up to and including AAU and HS. By the time Megan was a senior she was definitely one of the best players in the state. It was not just the BY that was skeptical when she signed with UCONN many in the Philly burbs had similar feelings and pointed to Bud's (RIP) connection to Geno as the main reason. My thoughts on the matter were what I have expressed before- With Tina in that recruiting class there is more than enough room on UCONN's roster for a role player like a Meghan.
Your knowledge bank is definitely more immense than mine and perhaps this is another exaggeration; who was the last UCONN recruit not to be considered the best player on her HS team?

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I had a front row seat for the Meghan Gardler experience so there should be no skepticism. My oldest daughter was one of Meghan's chief antagonist since their days in CYO ball up to and including AAU and HS. By the time Megan was a senior she was definitely one of the best players in the state. It was not just the BY that was skeptical when she signed with UCONN many in the Philly burbs had similar feelings and pointed to Bud's (RIP) connection to Geno as the main reason. My thoughts on the matter were what I have expressed before- With Tina in that recruiting class there is more than enough room on UCONN's roster for a role player like a Meghan.
Your knowledge bank is definitely more immense than mine and perhaps this is perhaps another exaggeration; who was the last UCONN recruit not to be considered the best player on her HS team?

Well, that catches me off guard as you, not me, are definitely more knowledgeable about high school recruiting and WCBB not related to UConn. I have done a bit of research in regards to such trivial topics as brain health and how misinformation throws our social systems out of balance, but as to the really important BY topics I bow to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom