Paige saying bye to Tennessee | The Boneyard

Paige saying bye to Tennessee

Reaction Score
Not sure if I am a fan of this. I like the spunk. But, maybe, you should play in more than a quarter of your team's games before displaying a 'tude.
I'm not a showboater fan, but the kid-- as a first year-- won the Wooden Award, the Associated Press and ESPN.com player of the year honors and was the first freshman to win the Naismith Trophy, and also was named to the 10-member Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team. Pretty sure she has earned it.

Reaction Score
Paige has to be terribly disappointed the way her Uconn career has turned out. She could of, would of been the best Uconn had ever seen. I always wondered if her thin body frame has had anything to do with her injuries. Paige deserved better than the hand she has been dealt and I hope when she comes back, it will be with a vengeance and tears up the competition! GU HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Not sure if I am a fan of this. I like the spunk. But, maybe, you should play in more than a quarter of your team's games before displaying a 'tude.
There is no doubt that Paige would rather do her talking ON the Court...but that wasn't in the cards for this year after that unfortunate accident over the summer. I always Coached my baseball players to Win and Lose with dignity. SO, I would rather look at this as:

"PAIGE waving Good Bye, Thank you for the warm hospitality...and We Look forward to hosting you in Storrs next Season."

The Girl has Spunk! And when healthy has NO trouble backing it up... Those of us NOT at the game last night have no idea what kind of reception the UCONN players got... I suspect lots of boos, but probably assorted other comments none of us would want our Daughters subject to...

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Paige would rather do her talking ON the Court...but that wasn't in the cards for this year after that unfortunate accident over the summer. I always Coached my baseball players to Win and Lose with dignity. SO, I would rather look at this as:

"PAIGE waving Good Bye, Thank you for the warm hospitality...and We Look forward to hosting you in Storrs next Season."

The Girl has Spunk! And when healthy has NO trouble backing it up... Those of us NOT at the game last night have no idea what kind of reception the UCONN players got... I suspect lots of boos, but probably assorted other comments none of us would want our Daughters subject to...
Are they playing next year? Rebecca made it sound like this may have been Geno's last time coaching at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
No idea if they will play at UConn next year. Sounded to me Rebecca was theorizing that Geno will retire after next season after his health issues this year, his mom dying, and the stress of the last two seasons. Counting the stress of the Covid year, the last three years have been very stressful on UConn.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Are they playing next year? Rebecca made it sound like this may have been Geno's last time coaching at Tennessee.
Don't think so, as the series has not been renewed, so it sounded to me more related to no future games (as of today).

Reaction Score
Paige is actually due congratulations for teaching Lou how to shoot the 3 that bounces straight up and falls through the basket. Think that's easy?
Sidebar: how about "Muhl the Fuel"?
I was thinking the same thing! I think Paige's hit the back of the iron and then bounced in whereas Lou's almost rimmed out but went straight up before dropping straight down into the basket.

Reaction Score
I think the motivation was also that Paige knows that she will not be back there again. Assuming we play next year it will be at home and I don't expect her to stay beyond that. I too have great sorrow and empathy for Paige and what she has not been able to yet accomplish. She doesn't show it, but you know she is crying inside a little every game. She is a basketball player pure and simple with perhaps the greatest skill set ever.

Reaction Score
I always wondered if her thin body frame has had anything to do with her injuries.

Interesting that you say this. I was wondering the same thing last night. This could be inaccurate memory, as I have not researched it. I was thinking back on all the players who have had season ending ligament or tendon injuries and I recall most, if not all, were smaller, lighter, players. Is it possible that higher body weight, over several years, could strengthen or toughen ligaments and tendons? The same could be said of full body stress through body weight or light weight exercise at a young age. Look at baseball pitchers. Some of the old timers that threw 100MPH for MANY pitches over MANY games but were largely uninjured in their careers grew up on farms. Digging dirt...pitching hay...carrying buckets of food to the animals or bringing back buckets of milk...walking for miles in the woods while hunting...and so on.

Maybe shooting basketballs or throwing baseballs 365 is not good for slighter kids who don't get the stress of lugging around a big frame. Maybe they need to spend some time with pitchforks and wheelbarrows.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When I think of crowds booing Geno I remember years ago the Huskies played Rutgers at the RAC. After the game, a reporter asked Geno if he heard the crowd booing him and he said, “That was the Rutgers fans? I thought it was my wife”. :p

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Was she waving to the fans? I couldn't tell what that was. Looked like her hands were flat not a normal waving motion. These young people have so many hand signals (Like when they take photos and hold out fingers), I don't know what anything means anymore (LOL)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Another great line from Diana - I assume it was playing Tennessee. The fans boo'd her - she was asked about it - her reply? "Booing? I thought they were mooing". Awesome answer.

For the record, LOVED Paige's response. Boo the coaches, fine. Boo the players? I guess it's a thing, but Paige threw it back in their face. Also similar was Dee's "call me" gesture to (I believe) Duke fans back in the day... but at least the Duke fans were clever... Cameron Crazies - nothing like them...

Reaction Score
A "tude?" You make it sound like she pulled a Shannon Sharpe. It's called natural confidence or swagger. Paige has that in abundance - she oozes it. She still has next season to add to her legacy and if she didn't play another minute, her career has already included so many highlights. How quickly some forget.

Lastly, she's always comported herself on court with dignity and class.

Reaction Score
Paige has a lot of Larry Bird swagger in her. Bird always backed it up, and Paige can too. Its fine in my book and helps add some fuel to a re-kindling of the UCONN - Tennessee rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom