Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility | The Boneyard

Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility

Reaction Score
Great read. I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this.
EFB5A5FD-4497-499C-A89D-8D9DC45090A7.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well she did play 5 years of HS ball. The important caveat that Paige’s mom adds is, “If she can make some money.” OK then, let’s get that NIL legislation passed so Paige can start earning more than Geno does.

Reaction Score
Well she did play 5 years of HS ball. The important caveat that Paige’s mom adds is, “If she can make some money.” OK then, let’s get that NIL legislation passed so Paige can start earning more than Geno does.

NIL legislation, like the transfer portal, will reshape collegiate sports, and unless there is federal legislation that makes it uniform nationwide, will just add fuel to arms race that is recruiting as we know it. Two states have laws that will go into effect July 1, 2021 which would definitely give their schools an advantage in recruiting. (Florida is one of those) There are so many variables in the laws states have passed that it is going to be chaotic. For example, some state’s laws say that any income that athletes receive must go into escrow until they are out of college, and some say they can spend it immediately. These laws could change UConn’s program in many ways. If most of these laws allow players to build a profile on social media to promote their brand will schools that ban players from certain platforms be forced to rescind? What if a player at a school that had endorsement deals with Nike wanted to endorse another brand? It will be the wild wild west chapter two, with the one time transfer waiver being chapter one. Then there’s the NCAA antitrust suit the Supreme Court heard oral arguments on at the end of March that could change everything. Stay tuned. JMO

Reaction Score
NIL legislation, like the transfer portal, will reshape collegiate sports, and unless there is federal legislation that makes it uniform nationwide, will just add fuel to arms race that is recruiting as we know it. Two states have laws that will go into effect July 1, 2021 which would definitely give their schools an advantage in recruiting. (Florida is one of those) There are so many variables in the laws states have passed that it is going to be chaotic. For example, some state’s laws say that any income that athletes receive must go into escrow until they are out of college, and some say they can spend it immediately. These laws could change UConn’s program in many ways. If most of these laws allow players to build a profile on social media to promote their brand will schools that ban players from certain platforms be forced to rescind? What if a player at a school that had endorsement deals with Nike wanted to endorse another brand? It will be the wild wild west chapter two, with the one time transfer waiver being chapter one. Then there’s the NCAA antitrust suit the Supreme Court heard oral arguments on at the end of March that could change everything. Stay tuned. JMO
Uh oh. This is Connecticut. You just got the powers in government thinking about how they might start taxing all of those future athletes earnings even if they are deferred.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that NIL will change the landscape in college sports. But while it will certainly impact men’s football and basketball, I doubt that it will stem the flow of top collegians from one and done when they can make millions in the pros.

WBB is unique. Players earn a good living in the W/overseas leagues, but the money is not overwhelming, particularly if you can parlay your NIL into a 6 figure income in college basketball, which has far more media coverage than the W.

More to the point, UConn WBB has a unique opportunity that most of the top P-5 WBB programs lack. UConn is already the premier WBB program in the nation and there is no real competition from CFB in the Northeast. You have to go all the way to State College, PA to find a successful, big time CFB program that packs its stadium.

So if my theory is correct, so long as Geno is around, the absolute best place to market your NIL as a WBB player will be Storrs, CT.

Reaction Score
Which part? 4 NC, NIL, Staying 4 more years? Maybe Mom has some insight on what motivates her daughter?

No chance she stays the 5th year. I don't think Paige is a selfish player and staying the 5th year would take a spot away from someone who won't have an opportunity for a 5th year. She's the #1 pick whenever she moves on. No reason to wait.

Parents always think they know what their kids are thinking. They rarely do.

I will be surprised she stays 3 more years if the WNBA changes their rules.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No chance she stays the 5th year. I don't think Paige is a selfish player and staying the 5th year would take a spot away from someone who won't have an opportunity for a 5th year. She's the #1 pick whenever she moves on. No reason to wait.

Parents always think they know what their kids are thinking. They rarely do.

I will be surprised she stays 3 more years if the WNBA changes their rules.
If NIL is passed, the WNBA will have to do more than change their rules. They will have to dramatically change their pay scale, or they won’t be able to afford Paige Bueckers and other top WBB players whose earnings potential could be much higher in college.

Reaction Score
If NIL is passed, the WNBA will have to do more than change their rules. They will have to dramatically change their pay scale, or they won’t be able to afford Paige Bueckers and other top WBB players whose earnings potential could be much higher in college.
Is the WNBA financially able to change their pay scale?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read the comments in this thread, there appears to be the idea that a player would be sacrificing the social media-generated income by going to the WNBA. Seems to me they could earn a WNBA salary in addition to the social media-generated income after leaving college. They'll still be able to market their NIL's, probably even more-so.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
A long time away, variables to come into the equation we have not even considered yet, things the NCAA will try to do in the next couple of years. Lets face it the NCAA is not really in business for what's best for the students, they are there to keep control and keep their jobs and lofty paychecks. While we wait to see how the 5th year, money, and friendships come into play, I'll just continue to scratch my diminished hair wring my hands and wait just like the players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Common Man (or Lady)! I know this is the Boneyard and I know we are in the silly season with minimal basketball to report on, BUT, to spend any time on a subject that is 4 years away?

Reaction Score
Average attendance of a women's professional game is ranging from 6750 to 7900 the last 8 years before covid, so UCONN and a few other women's programs could easily pay more then the pros, if the rules were changed!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure Fudd stays 4 years? Too many variables ...
Solid point by you. Azzi's DoB is 11/2002 which makes her eligible for the May 2024 WNBA draft at the conclusion of her Junior year, assuming no additional rules changes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is the WNBA financially able to change their pay scale?
The W is currently subsidized by the NBA to some degree, so the answer is yes, if the NBA goes along with it.

Reaction Score
Solid point by you. Azzi's DoB is 11/2002 which makes her eligible for the May 2024 WNBA draft at the conclusion of her Junior year, assuming no additional rules changes.
And I don't think we can assume no rule changes..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read the comments in this thread, there appears to be the idea that a player would be sacrificing the social media-generated income by going to the WNBA. Seems to me they could earn a WNBA salary in addition to the social media-generated income after leaving college. They'll still be able to market their NIL's, probably even more-so.
Yes and no. The current restrictions against marketing your NIL apply only to the NCAA, so any player that opts into the WNBA draft can market their NIL any way they choose. The problem is that the exposure for top WBB players goes down when they go from college to the pros. Think about players like Stewie, Kelsey Plum, Aja Wilson and Sabrina Ionescu, who were all marquee stars in college. While they are all still great players in the pros, none were able to maintain the profile they had in college.

Reaction Score
We are talking about, barring injury, a player in Paige, of possibly legendary status. Right now, one can be excited about Paige's sophomore year next year with the entire team minus Anna returning + a transfer and a stellar freshman class including Azzi, and finishing what was started with the young squad this year.
If we really think about it, do we want Paige to stay at UConn for 5 years? Irregardless of the number of NCs she is a part of. Don't we want the person of unusual skills and talent to continue to be challenged to the ultimate degree and have the best opportunities to continue to take their talents to greater heights. Don't we want the musician to get the opportunity to play at Carnegie Hall? Don't we want the artist to get classical training in Paris? The chess player to compete in Russia?
Is a mother's tendency to want their child safe the most important thing to them? She knows Paige is safe, and well cared for at UConn. She doesn't know what the world has in store for Paige.
Stewie won 4 straight NCs and she was the Tournament MVP 4 times. That's been done. Paige did not achieve that end. Paige has a different story to write. I cannot wait to see the next chapter and the next chapter....

Reaction Score
Why don't we listen to the one person who knows best what Paige will do. Paige herself. She's said on more than one occasion, when asked about NC's, that she wants to win 4 in a row. That was before the extra year of eligibility was added. The Huskies missed out this year but from what Paige has said in the past, her desire to play alongside her best friend Azzi, and her goal of being the best player she can be seems to indicate that she'll be around for the next 4 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom