PAC 12 | The Boneyard

PAC 12

Reaction Score
Surprised no one is talking about this. They’ve canceled all sports through the end of 2020, which obviously includes the beginning of the hoops season. As these things tend to be dominoes, this probably pretty much means at best no hoops til Jan 2021. Until someone else decides to be more aggressive.

Losing optimism about there being hoops at all this year.

Reaction Score
That conference is an embarrassment. Full on cancel culture with no alternatives. I feel bad for the student athletes.
That may be true. But these things have a way of gaining momentum, so like it or not, they could impact all of college sports.

Reaction Score
The Pac12 players formed an organization that prioritized their health over games. I'm not sure how many players were involved but many were pushing for this.
I think that had very little to do with Covid.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Big12 ACC and SEC say they are going forward with the season, so the PAC12 snowflakes on the west coast can go kick rocks or maybe organize some more protests where they don’t socially distance :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think that had very little to do with Covid.

Covid was in at least half the demands (more actually):

"Because we are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic in a system without enforced health and safety standards, and without transparency about COVID cases on our teams, the risks to ourselves, our families, and our communities, #WeAreUnited.

Because we must have adequate COVID testing to help protect our health, #WeAreUnited.

Because we are prohibited from securing representation while being asked to sign documents that may serve as liability waivers, #WeAreUnited.

Because we should not be stuck with sports-related medical expenses, including COVID-19 related expenses, #WeAreUnited.

Because any player who does not feel comfortable playing this season should be free to opt out without losing their scholarship or any eligibility, #WeAreUnited."

Reaction Score
Covid was in at least half the demands (more actually):

"Because we are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic in a system without enforced health and safety standards, and without transparency about COVID cases on our teams, the risks to ourselves, our families, and our communities, #WeAreUnited.

Because we must have adequate COVID testing to help protect our health, #WeAreUnited.

Because we are prohibited from securing representation while being asked to sign documents that may serve as liability waivers, #WeAreUnited.

Because we should not be stuck with sports-related medical expenses, including COVID-19 related expenses, #WeAreUnited.

Because any player who does not feel comfortable playing this season should be free to opt out without losing their scholarship or any eligibility, #WeAreUnited."
I stand by what I said, I think it has very little to do with Covid.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Pac and B1G boards are in complete meltdown. You have to wonder what percentage of these fans simply will not return, or will take a while to draw them back in.

Reaction Score
NBA product has gotten better IMO. I like that there are fewer games per day, each with their own time slot. MUCH easier to follow. I also like watching games with no fans, since now all of the TV time is dedicated to hoops or hoops talk. No panning the crowd or wasting time showing fans. I also like the stance they are taking - someone has to do it. Things have got to change, and they can be an agent of change. Better that than sitting idly by.

I agree that golf is awesome. It’s slowly becoming the sport I watch and bet the most. PGA tour has also taken a stance - you don’t notice or mind that one?

I am a golfer and love it, plus their stance is very minuscule. You can’t be professional and not at this point or cancel culture will get you.

I simply disagree with NBA stance

Reaction Score
Pac and B1G boards are in complete meltdown. You have to wonder what percentage of these fans simply will not return, or will take a while to draw them back in.
The answer is 0%. They will all return. Expect the first game back, be it a conference foe or simply a spring practice game, a sell out at both Ohio State and Michigan.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Replies turning this into a political discussion will be deleted, the user will be banned from the thread (or site), and the memory of any contribution they have made to this site will be lit on fire.

I just spent 15 minutes cleaning up this thread, and I don't like having to babysit idiots.

Play nice, or don't play.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Schools don’t want to give players a cut of the pie so there only option is to cancel until all students are back on campus. The optics of having sports while kids aren’t on campus ruins their little “amateurism” game.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Cancelling basketball 3+ months in advance is absolutely ridiculous. Cancelling football is absolutely ridiculous as well when the guys actually at risk are the ones banging the drum that they want to play or coach. For every 2-3 guys that say they're out, there's 97 that want to play, but no one seems to want to listen or support those arguments which is wild.

polycom

Reaction Score
Cancelling basketball 3+ months in advance is absolutely ridiculous. Cancelling football is absolutely ridiculous as well when the guys actually at risk are the ones banging the drum that they want to play or coach. For every 2-3 guys that say they're out, there's 97 that want to play, but no one seems to want to listen or support those arguments which is wild.

considering a risk factor for covid if you get it is being fat and offensive and defensive linemen are overweight you are wrong but go on and scream into the wind.

Reaction Score
I am really surprised how the conferences and universities are framing this by focusing on the health of the student athletes. To me it seems much more the logistical challenges of crisscrossing the country during the pandemic (testing, quarantining, isolating, etc.) and the risks to the greater community (player catching Covid and then becoming a super spreader of the virus) are the much larger concerns. This was actually somewhat what went it UConn football's decision as was documented in the NYT article.

Reaction Score
I am really surprised how the conferences and universities are framing this by focusing on the health of the student athletes. To me it seems much more the logistical challenges of crisscrossing the country during the pandemic (testing, quarantining, isolating, etc.) and the risks to the greater community (player catching Covid and then becoming a super spreader of the virus) are the much larger concerns. This was actually somewhat what went it UConn football's decision as was documented in the NYT article.
Is it even really about covid 19 and the health of the "amateur" athlete at all? To me, this is all about the preservation of the current business model.

Honest question to the lawyers here: If the players play without signing a waiver, would that increase their legal arguement to form a union?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Why is it absurd? We know what the landscape is going to look like in 3 months. The whole "wait and see" thing is disingenuous - we know that COVID will still be here in 3 months. Waiting and seeing leads to scrambling later, where we could come up with a plan for the Spring right now if we just accepted the situation for what it is.

Reaction Score
Surprised no one is talking about this. They’ve canceled all sports through the end of 2020, which obviously includes the beginning of the hoops season. As these things tend to be dominoes, this probably pretty much means at best no hoops til Jan 2021. Until someone else decides to be more aggressive.

Losing optimism about there being hoops at all this year.
No it does not. As we have seen with football conference will go ahead and play if they want to no matter what one or more conferences do.

You think the ACC and SEC and Big12 are going to play football but not basketball?

What the Big East or UConn does who knows, but the PAC12 decision I do not think has any effect on them.

Reaction Score
No it does not. As we have seen with football conference will go ahead and play if they want to no matter what one or more conferences do.

You think the ACC and SEC and Big12 are going to play football but not basketball?

What the Big East or UConn does who knows, but the PAC12 decision I do not think has any effect on them.
Let's see them actually play football for a season before we talk about them having played football.

polycom

Reaction Score
So, all linemen are "fat"!!!!!!!!!!
Idiocy abounds at times
Sometimes people scream and nothing logical comes out

GTcam. a 300 pound 6foot 6 individual is overweight even if they are ripped. You can't be this dense.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
considering a risk factor for covid if you get it is being fat and offensive and defensive linemen are overweight you are wrong but go on and scream into the wind.

No one says the guys that don't want to play have to play. If these "fat" guys as you describe don't want to play they can opt out, but all these guys losing reps and opportunities are also having their future career prospects impacted because the "suits" decide cancelling is the easy way out.

Reaction Score
Personally I do not believe it absurd for anyone to want some semblance of normalcy after 5 months of lockdown; particularly when the majority of the population is asymptomatic (morbidity rate: impacts 1/2 of 1% of the overall U.S. population) and the virus is primarily confined to high risk candidates (elderly and those with comorbidities). But to each his own ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom