PAC-12 will decide whether to expand in the next couple of weeks | The Boneyard

PAC-12 will decide whether to expand in the next couple of weeks

Reaction Score
My take on this is PAC-12 will talk to their media partners and consultants to see if any of the schools will add value to the next media deal. If they do decide to expand, it will 2 or 4 of these schools: Texas Tech, OKie lite, Kansas, and Iowa State.

Fox could also play a role here to get PAC-12 to add enough schools in order to disband the B12. Both Fox and ESPN have incentives to disband the B12 in order to void the current B12 media contract.

Reaction Score
My take on this is PAC-12 will talk to their media partners and consultants to see if any of the schools will add value to the next media deal. If they do decide to expand, it will 2 or 4 of these schools: Texas Tech, OKie lite, Kansas, and Iowa State.

Fox could also play a role here to get PAC-12 to add enough schools in order to disband the B12. Both Fox and ESPN have incentives to disband the B12 in order to void the current B12 media contract.
What is the FOX incentive to blow it up now?

They have UT & OU committed for another 4 years. Unless the remaining 8 let them leave early it's in FOX best interest to keep things intact until 2025 when the contract expires

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

If they expand it will likely only be by two: Kansas and Texas Tech.

Reaction Score
May the least impact full expansion to date, if that happened. Which is why it won't.
Yeah. I'm very skeptical.

Any prospective Pac 12 addition would probably need to receive about a $30 million valuation from the networks. The Big 12 commissioner testified earlier this month that the average broadcast value of the remaining eight is about $14 million.

Is it mathematically possible that one of the eight leftovers is worth in the vicinity of a $30 million to the networks? Sure. Does that seem likely? Nope.

Reaction Score
If the Pac-12 expands; Oklahoma State is unlikely to be left out. My assumption is Texas Tech is #2 (Texas coverage). Kansas doesn't bring much in the way of market and no football value and that's still the majority of value to any conference.

Reaction Score

-> Kliavkoff has not specified which schools are interested in joining the Pac-12. But the list likely includes many, if not all of the universities in the Big 12, which is reeling after the departure of Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC.

However, multiple industry sources contacted by the Hotline in recent weeks believe the most likely outcome for the conference is to remain at 12.

“No schools really add value,” said a source not affiliated with the Pac-12.

Each Pac-12 athletic department will receive approximately $24 million this year from the regular-season broadcast agreements with ESPN and Fox, according to the term sheet of the Tier 1 contract obtained by the Hotline.

That figure is expected to soar when the next media rights deals are negotiated in 18-24 months.

Any new member would have to bring enough media value to increase the windfall for the existing schools and help the conference narrow the revenue gap with the Big Ten and SEC.

Without Texas and Oklahoma propping them up, none of the Big 12 universities are believed to carry enough media rights value to be worthwhile to the Pac-12.

“All the conversations I’ve had are really focused on closing the revenue gap,’’ Schulz told the Hotline recently. “That still drives a lot of the decision-making. You could pick schools that make us a 16- or 18-team conference, but the next question is, ‘OK, how does that close the revenue gap? … <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom