PAC 12 WBB News | Page 17 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
ASU will not be playing the Oregon and OSU games this week after all. COVID protocols. At this point AZ is still coming.

That's 3 (winnable imo) home games Oregon has had cancelled due to COVID, all of them due to issues within the visiting programs. Fate has certainly not been on our side this season.

Reaction Score
Looking at the ASU schedule it only list the Oregon game as postponed. At OSU on Sunday is still on. Fingers crossed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
AP Rankings are goofy when it comes to the PAC-12. AZ (ranked #7) loses to USC, and CO (ranked #22) is undefeated and beat USC same weekend. The big miss is that UO didn't get any AP points in the last poll? If UO wins their next 3 games (ASU, UA, UCONN), then they should be ranked in the TOP 15.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can expect AP voters to have actually seen any games, which means the "eye test" that you and I (and most fans) reasonably use is non-existent for them. So no the AP voters have no direct idea if Oregon looks good or not - all they know is the have 5 losses, no good wins, and lost to Stanford by 12.

Otherwise, on paper, Arizona still has the more impressive win (vs. NET #5 Louisville), while Colorado has one quadrant one win altogether, and only two quadrant one and two wins vs. Arizona's four. Throw in Arizona's short-notice rescheduling and being down to key players, and I don't actually think the disparity is unreasonable - I just probably would rank Arizona a bit lower than they are (and probably Colorado too - both teams have appallingly weak resumes to claim undefeated status into the new year).

One other thing: I do think AP voters rank a bit based on the coach, and I do think Barnes gets a bit more benefit of the doubt as a result of last season. Maybe that's fair, maybe it's not, but on a neutral floor I'll take a Geno/Kim/Tara/Barnes-led team over an Ivey/Lawson/Payne-led team that hasn't been had their coach lead their team deep into the post season. That's not to say those coaches won't one day do so successfully, but they haven't, yet. We know Barnes can take it to UConn in a final four game; I have absolutely no idea how those untested coaches would handle it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great game last night between Arizona and OSU. Arizona pulled it out on the last shot, but based on the last few game they do seem like a team that is going to pick up several more losses in what is left of conference play.

Reaction Score
Oregon comes back from a 17 point deficit in the third Q to win in overtime. Paopao, Sabally and Prince led the charge. Rogers hit the winner on a put back with 0.5 on the clock.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Barnes was F-bombing Graves at the end of the game; anyone know why? I don't recall him saying/doing anything in the opposite direction.

Reaction Score
Barnes was F-bombing Graves at the end of the game; anyone know why? I don't recall him saying/doing anything in the opposite direction.
I didn’t see the game but see it blowing up on Twitter. What happened? Oregon fans are saying she allegedly gave the Oregon coaches and bench the middle finger

Reaction Score
If her actions were on the approved list of things to be offended by, she would be in danger of losing her job. No Repercussions is also a finger in the face of the former values and sense of propriety by which most people used of function.

Reaction Score
I didn’t see the game but see it blowing up on Twitter. What happened? Oregon fans are saying she allegedly gave the Oregon coaches and bench the middle finger
Post game Barnes focused on what she called very uneven officiating as opposed to the complete collapse of her offense in the fourth quarter. Her view was that due to extremely one-sided officiating her team was in such foul trouble they lost their aggressiveness. I'm not sure how that explains the offensive collapse but Barnes was very willing to unload on what she thought was being homered.

I think this is reflective of her youth and lack of maturity. Clearly In the heat of the moment emotions run high. She would have been better served to have taken a moment or two to collect herself. Her post game reaction certainly lead one to .......pity the kitty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Post game Barnes focused on what she called very uneven officiating as opposed to the complete collapse of her offense in the fourth quarter. Her view was that due to extremely one-sided officiating her team was in such foul trouble they lost their aggressiveness. I'm not sure how that explains the offensive collapse but Barnes was very willing to unload on what she thought was being homered.

I think this is reflective of her youth and lack of maturity. Clearly In the heat of the moment emotions run high. She would have been better served to have taken a moment or two to collect herself. Her post game reaction certainly lead one to .......pity the kitty.
A coach blaming the officials in the major conferences is usually a big penalty. You might send a message to the conference office, but not say it at a press conference.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I'll go with Steve Tannen's reply to this Barnes post (just right imo) and the radio announcers' stunned response to what she said at the end of the game (all 3 are persons of integrity). As for Barnes, I do kind of admire how she can go from a less than heartfelt apology ("my emotions got the better of me," "out of character") in another post to "I'm not that woman!" in this one, which at least has honesty going for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll go with Steve Tannen's reply to this Barnes post (just right imo) and the radio announcers' stunned response to what she said at the end of the game (all 3 are persons of integrity). As for Barnes, I do kind of admire how she can go from a less than heartfelt apology ("my emotions got the better of me," "out of character") in another post to "I'm not that woman!" in this one, which at least has honesty going for it.
I agree with Tannen’s post. I’ve played golf several times with Kelly Graves and have never heard him swear, and, if I played golf like Kelly does I would be be swearing a lot on the course.

Reaction Score
So one coach has a reputation with F bombs and aggressive behavior at Arizona while another coach has been a head coach since 1997 at St Marys, Gonzaga and Oregon (25 years head coaching) we have never heard any other incidents over those years so he transformed overnight into another person?????? So it is not surprising 18 to 22 year olds pick up what is acceptable from their coaches and even emulate them.

So I ask you this. If this tweet below was remote;y true wouldn't the refs, scorer table personnel and athletic department officials heard the same thing over what is stated the ENTIRE game. You could hear a pin drop at times because Oregon was getting their butt kicked and people would have heard something.

It was so loud at times in the fourth you could not hear what the people were saying in front of you and we were 40 rows up.

So this is just odd in nature. I am sure people will be interviewed on all sides because the truth will come out. Better have credible evidence to make claims of that manner. I have an opinion I will with hold at this point.

I don't get giving the middle finger to 8 thousand fans got someone anywhere. Where Barnes is losing it is in the social media world dueling with fans? What is the point. Surely ex-Oregon AD now Arizona AD Dave Heeke will deal with it. He knows Graves well before he left for Arizona and work for AD Mullens. I feel bad for him.

1642388291885.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it was flipping off the 8 thousand fans with the middle finger was what the blow up was about from a fans perspective. If it was an f bomb or two then meh.....She then waved to the crowd and walk off the court. People were talking about it on the way out of the arena. With cell phones someone must have a copy of it.

Reaction Score
So one coach has a reputation with F bombs and aggressive behavior at Arizona while another coach has been a head coach since 1997 at St Marys, Gonzaga and Oregon (25 years head coaching) we have never heard any other incidents over those years so he transformed overnight into another person?????? So it is not surprising 18 to 22 year olds pick up what is acceptable from their coaches and even emulate them.

So I ask you this. If this tweet below was remote;y true wouldn't the refs, scorer table personnel and athletic department officials heard the same thing over what is stated the ENTIRE game. You could hear a pin drop at times because Oregon was getting their butt kicked and people would have heard something.

It was so loud at times in the fourth you could not hear what the people were saying in front of you and we were 40 rows up.

So this is just odd in nature. I am sure people will be interviewed on all sides because the truth will come out. Better have credible evidence to make claims of that manner. I have an opinion I will with hold at this point.

I don't get giving the middle finger to 8 thousand fans got someone anywhere. Where Barnes is losing it is in the social media world dueling with fans? What is the point. Surely ex-Oregon AD now Arizona AD Dave Heeke will deal with it. He knows Graves well before he left for Arizona and work for AD Mullens. I feel bad for him.

View attachment 72472
Heeke left Oregon well before either Graves or Mullens got there. Still, as current PAC 12 ADs, they know each other well and have a good working relationship. If there is anything that needs to be investigated they will work together to get it done.

Reaction Score
This bizarre accusation against Kelly Graves is so out of character as to be laughable. But it is also quite nasty from and dangerous to Barnes. Since it is easily proven that this alleged constant stream of epithets did NOT come from Graves at all I am not quite sure what Barnes’ end game is here. Making false accusations against a colleague AND blatantly attacking the refs throughout a press conference will not sit well with the Pac-12 disciplinary board. More to come on this story I’m guessing.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just to be clear about one thing - and I do not think this excuses her behavior - the same Oregon radio announcer, a bit later in the post game programme, apparently stated that he had been advised that the "2 coaches were going at it all game" so he was withdrawing the "classless". Not that I understand that. It "is" out of character in some ways for Adia, but she is very, very passionate and if she cannot control her emotions - no matter what was said to her - then she is in the wrong profession and can't demand that of her players.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This bizarre accusation against Kelly Graves is so out of character as to be laughable. But it is also quite nasty from and dangerous to Barnes. Since it is easily proven that this alleged constant stream of epithets did NOT come from Graves at all I am not quite sure what Barnes’ end game is here. Making false accusations against a colleague AND blatantly attacking the refs throughout a press conference will not sit well with the Pac-12 disciplinary board. More to come on this story I’m guessing.
I am hoping for a suspension. It is just inappropriate. That said, you have no idea about PAC refs, she probably isn't wrong if they treated us like they treat our opponents at home, where I have floor seats. They can be very, very homerish, and you had Melissa Barlow who I just don't like even though she is supposed to be good (and she has no bad history with Arizona that I know of, but I've been watching her on TV for years). I don't like one of the other refs either, again, I only see them at home games these days (as I don't get the PAC network) and they are always pro-Arizona at our place, but some of their calls totally mystify me.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Really late to this one - just watched the Oregon Arizona game after somehow managing to avoid finding out the outcome before having the chance to DVR it. I can't say I'm at all surprised that a controversy over aggressive officiating would come at the hands of Missy Barlow. (As some of you know, I have great antipathy for her ticky-tacky approach to officiating.)

I grew up in Oregon and am a big Ducks fan and there are few coaches I like more than Graves. So I say this with no animosity to Oregon, who I do think played better in the end. That said, I do think Barnes was right that the officiating favored Oregon insofar as it was very ticky tacky, which hurt Arizona's ability to stay aggressive on defense and favored the more offensively-oriented team. Two of the fouls on Ware, one on Reese (and one on Copeland) were really, really technical and/or marginal. And that is classic Missy.

Does that justify middle fingers and (likely fictional) accusations of f-bombs at Graves? No - categorically, no. But this game had all the hallmarks of the Missy Barlow special: super technical fouls/fouls that don't disrupt the player's natural movement, obsessive policing of, and interruptions to check, the clock, and multiple ref timeouts in the waning minutes to review seemingly trivial plays.

All I can say is I pray to the woofing gods that she calls the Colorado @ Stanford game because if she does, our offense will have free rein.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69