Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

Reaction Score
When you hold Jump to 1 point and 0 for 3 from 3, Stanford isn’t going to win. Only solace is last season they lost to an unranked team they won a championship.

Hopefully this wakes them up to play Utah and Colorado in Palo Alto next week.

@LwrcasefaN U$C’s only field goal in 4th was a 3.

Reaction Score
Predictions for all remaining games in the Pac-12 are now moot. Aside from snake bit ASU maybe. Both Oregons losing to both Washington’s on the same day… well that’s something. I will need to rearrange my tiers.

Reaction Score
UCLA has two consecutive road weekends ahead. At the resurgent (?) Washingtons followed by @ Utah and Colorado. Tough road.

Reaction Score
2031???

What an insane contract. And that was given during the middle of last season?
I would think you need to meet a threshold at the end of the year to have a roll over extension kick in. I would not even want that long of time frame for Graves. In fact I would not want it for any sport.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see him turning things around. His previous success might buy him a little grace period, but OSU has been going downhill for about 3 years now.
wait a minute, didn't you just tout about Raegan Beers and how awesome she is as a freshman? I mean he also has soph Talia Von Oelhoffen and now freshman Timea Gardiner is back from injury and she looks good. Add in soph AJ Marotte and redshirt soph Jelena Mitrovic and that is a pretty good nucleus for the next few years. So I guess I disagree. I mean he is still challenged to find any type of offensive consistency, but this is not like ASU or dare I say UW or what WSU will look like when Leger-Walker leaves.

Reaction Score
I would think you need to meet a threshold at the end of the year to have a roll over extension kick in. I would not even want that long of time frame for Graves. In fact I would not want it for any sport.
It's giving me flashbacks of the Bobby Bonilla contract with the Mets. Cripes, I wonder if he's still getting $ 1 million a year.

Reaction Score
Rueck has done good things for OSU but you have to wonder if his seat is warming up quickly.
Why would one of Oregon State's best coaches and one of the best coaches in WBB be even on the warm seat conversation? Coach Rueck has done a wonderful job at Oregon State.

Reaction Score
Just wild! Shoot that badly and yet win. SMH. Way to go, USC!! Fight On!!
SC is probably one of the few teams in the Top 25 that shoots field goals in the thirty percentiles, but they also get up the highest number of attempts per game (in the 80s due to offensive rebounds). Q at Syracuse just jacked up a lot of shots (3s) and they reached the National Championship. It was just math. Not what happened in the USC vs Stanford game, but it happens. In this game...Stanford just shot worse than USC....which is saying something.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC is probably one of the few teams in the Top 25 that shoots field goals in the thirty percentiles, but they also get up the highest number of attempts per game (in the 80 due to offensive rebounds). Q at Syracuse just jacked up a lot of shots (3s) and they reached the National Championship. It was just math. Not what happened in the USC vs Stanford game, but it happens. In this game...Stanford just shot worse than USC....which is saying something.
Using 2 different USCs in one sentence.

Reaction Score
Why would one of Oregon State's best coaches and one of the best coaches in WBB be even on the warm seat conversation? Coach Rueck has done a wonderful job at Oregon State.
He is safe until 2031 when the contract expires regardless of what he does or doesn't do and no one can do anything about it or will do anything about it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
wait a minute, didn't you just tout about Raegan Beers and how awesome she is as a freshman? I mean he also has soph Talia Von Oelhoffen and now freshman Timea Gardiner is back from injury and she looks good. Add in soph AJ Marotte and redshirt soph Jelena Mitrovic and that is a pretty good nucleus for the next few years. So I guess I disagree. I mean he is still challenged to find any type of offensive consistency, but this is not like ASU or dare I say UW or what WSU will look like when Leger-Walker leaves.
There are some nice pieces, but I don't think enough pieces. It's been a tough year so far, and several tough years in a row.

Reaction Score
There are some nice pieces, but I don't think enough pieces. It's been a tough year so far, and several tough years in a row.
I've attended most of the home games this season. I break it down like this: OSU WBB program will be fine. Without question, the toughest year in a long time, but OSU has lost a lot of experience with transfers (Kennedy Brown, Taylor Jones, Sasha GoForth, etc.). Maybe OSU will lose more to the portal, but I don't see the nucleus of the team transferring out next season. Our biggest issue is guard play, traditionally a strength of OSU, and so little experience. The nucleus of vanOlehoffen, Gardiner, and Beers will be with OSU for the next 2 years. Beers & Gardiner have extreme talent, and high motors. OSU needs to build up their guard play, and in particular, a true PG that can run a team, assist, not turnover the ball, and make a bucket when needed. OSU has 2 fine PGs coming next season. OSU, traditionally a strong 3 point shooting team, will also need to improve dramatically in this area. However, the greatest area of improvement must be defense. We will see how that comes along, but perimeter defense is right now the worst I've seen in 10 years. GO BEAVS!

Reaction Score
Forgot the Cal-Colorado game started at 4PM, so only caught the last 4.8 seconds. Colorado wins 73-66. Will have to try to catch a replay.

Oregon plays Oregon State at 8PM Pacific after the Utah-Stanford game at 6PM Pacific.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My goodness, Washington didn't crack 50 points, shot under 30% overall and 1-12 from 3, and still nearly beat UCLA. Unfortunately they couldn't hold onto a 9 point half time lead. It looks like the only way UW is going to win any games is on the rare occasion when they are red hot (see first game against Wazzu and recent game @ Oregon St.).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...Colorado is sitting in a first place tie w/ Stanford nearing the halfway point. Anyone call that? Maybe they aren't missing Hollingshed as much as everybody assumed they would.

Also kudos to USC for following up their win over Stanford with another win, this one at Pullman. Cougs had suddenly seemed hot. Maybe Gottlieb deserves a bit more credit than I've given her as a coach.

Reaction Score
USC caught a break in Pullman tonight. Charlize Leger-Walker has returned to New Zealand on a family matter. UCLA will benefit Sunday.

Reaction Score
I thought they would the 6th best team, but had them as one of the 3 teams mostly likely to give Stanford a loss (UCLA, Utah, Colorado).

Cal was tied with Colorado with 5:25 left in the game.

USC did lose 2 of their 4 losses by a total of 4 points to UCLA. Other two losses were Texas and Oregon.

Looks like Leger-Walker is back in New Zealand due to a personal family matter. How many of WSU losses have she not played.

I had:

Stanford
UCLA
AZ
Utah
Oregon
Colorado
Oregon State
WSU
USC
ASU
CAL
Washington

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also, UW had ZERO double figure scorers. That's hard to pull off. Balanced scoring I guess? I'm still leaning toward Langley being Wynn version 2.0. Even Wynn's teams managed to knock off decent UCLA teams twice IIRC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom