PAC 12 conference &. Network | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 conference &. Network

Reaction Score
How so? If the ACC believes it will be profitable to them to add Stanford, who is the main draw in all reality, they'll figure a way to make it work.

I get that the ACC has an insane contract term, but landing a school like Stanford is like those stones in the Avenger movies. Collecting all the good ones gives them an advantage.
They aren't bringing a tv deal with them and they do not have strong enough fan bases to bring in revenue from tv either. I see no upside. I think the ACC will pass on them, but time will tell.

Reaction Score
They aren't bringing a tv deal with them and they do not have strong enough fan bases to bring in revenue from tv either. I see no upside. I think the ACC will pass on them, but time will tell.

If they didn't see potential, I doubt they would have entertained the conversation.

Heck, they're looking at schools other than these two per this report via Twitter. Who bloody knows what they're looking to do?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Football is dead in the ACC since the SEC, BIG, and BIG12 have gobbled up the good football schools. Yes, there is Clemson, but it won't be long before the SEC grabs them for themselves. I think that the ACC should start thinking about basketball, the sport they are known for. Maybe a deal, or a merger of the ACC and the BIG EAST, a conference that is dedicated to basketball, and form a super basketball conference. The BIG EAST has had the NC in basketball 3 out of the last 5 or 6 years in MBB. By having UConn, Duke, ND, Louisville, Villanova, Creighton, UNC, NCST, and Depaul this conference will have the best WBB league in the country. The ACC will never be as competitive with the other conferences in football again, so just do the intelligent thing and become the best basketball conference in the country. This act may save the conference, or maybe it won't, but this way they may have a legitimate chance to survive.

Reaction Score
Football is dead in the ACC since the SEC, BIG, and BIG12 have gobbled up the good football schools. Yes, there is Clemson, but it won't be long before the SEC grabs them for themselves. I think that the ACC should start thinking about basketball, the sport they are known for. Maybe a deal, or a merger of the ACC and the BIG EAST, a conference that is dedicated to basketball, and form a super basketball conference. The BIG EAST has had the NC in basketball 3 out of the last 5 or 6 years in MBB. By having UConn, Duke, ND, Louisville, Villanova, Creighton, UNC, NCST, and Depaul this conference will have the best WBB league in the country. The ACC will never be as competitive with the other conferences in football again, so just do the intelligent thing and become the best basketball conference in the country. This act may save the conference, or maybe it won't, but this way they may have a legitimate chance to survive.
Interesting idea.

Confused Good Question GIF by Choice Hotels

Reaction Score

FYI - Haven't had time to read the entire article but it seems like the travel and TV money issues are being addressed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

FYI - Haven't had time to read the entire article but it seems like the travel and TV money issues are being addressed.

The new rumor is Stanford and Cal football, MBB, and WBB to ACC, and Olympics sports to WCC. Maybe that explains the 70% revenue share. That's the only approach that makes any logistical sense for student-athletes. And honestly, home-and-aways with Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, Virginia Tech, and UNC would be at least a small silver lining in the flaming dumpster fire that has been the past week.

Reaction Score
Throw out the record books when Cal and Wake Forest meet up on the Field Hockey Field on a Wednesday afternoon in Winston-Salem :rolleyes:

While the idea is hilarious, isn't field hockey considered an Olympic sport? This sport may not move to the ACC.

Reaction Score
The new rumor is Stanford and Cal football, MBB, and WBB to ACC, and Olympics sports to WCC. Maybe that explains the 70% revenue share. That's the only approach that makes any logistical sense for student-athletes. And honestly, home-and-aways with Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, Virginia Tech, and UNC would be at least a small silver lining in the flaming dumpster fire that has been the past week.

True. Those would be some entertaining match ups.

Reaction Score

Apparently Notre Dame supports and is pushing for it. Time will tell.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Throw out the record books when Cal and Wake Forest meet up on the Field Hockey Field on a Wednesday afternoon in Winston-Salem :rolleyes:
You're gonna have to do a lot of throwing out of record books with some of the wacky match ups we'll be seeing now thanks to the latest round of realignments. Pace yourself!

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score

Apparently Notre Dame supports and is pushing for it. Time will tell.

Makes sense. Notre Dame is one of our longtime "rivals" both on and off the field, and in both football and WBB theirs have been some of my favorite OOC games of all time. (Not to mention they've taken like 90 percent of our WBB grad transfers, lol.)

Glad to hear the feeling is mutual.

Edited to Add: forgot their outgoing AD is a Stanford Alum. Never hurts to have friends (and alums) in high places...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow if this is true

Agreed. This story just gets more bizarre every day.

Edit

A revised version of the quote I crafted earlier:

We didn't have the foresight to develop a better media strategy decades ago. For some reason, we thought little of it, trusted people who seemed to think less of it and still have no idea how we got to this place. We believed the history of the league would be our main calling card and that not much effort was required to stay competitive.

We thought so highly of ourselves, that we turned down ESPN's money to have our teams available to their subscribers nationally without having to go on a safari hunt to find games. While we suck at accounting as evident with our handling of the current PAC12 network contract (yeah - we still don't know where the money is), the incentive of a national media network taking this off our incapable hands wasn't good enough. We needed an extra $ 20M per school even though we had no data to justify the demand.

We goofed and destroyed a conference that had a long tradition of success because we really couldn't see the forest from the trees.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are a few other coaches thinking this... In the non major sports.

@triaddukefan, you and I will find common cause here: Dorrance and UNC WSOC is the worst. He coaches a dirty style of play, and we've had several Stanford WSOC players go down to season-ending injuries in early non-conference games against UNC. Nothing would bring me more joy than for Dorrance to lose early and often and UNC to never again win anything of significance in WSOC.

What happened to the whole, "We want to compete against the best and beat the best?" coaching mantra? His attitude is essentially: I don't want to work hard, I prefer easy wins, and if I can kneecap the competition, I will. What a role model.

Reaction Score
@triaddukefan, you and I will find common cause here: Dorrance and UNC WSOC is the worst. He coaches a dirty style of play, and we've had several Stanford WSOC players go down to season-ending injuries in early non-conference games against UNC. Nothing would bring me more joy than for Dorrance to lose early and often and UNC to never again win anything of significance in WSOC.

What happened to the whole, "We want to compete against the best and beat the best?" coaching mantra? His attitude is essentially: I don't want to work hard, I prefer easy wins, and if I can kneecap the competition, I will. What a role model.
So you must have thoroughly enjoyed the NCAA W Soccer Champioship last fall? The UNC faithful out in force in Cary, NC were counting down the seconds to adding another College Cup trophy when UCLA, led by former Stanford Assistant and very first time head coach Margueritte Aozasa, tied the match on a corner kick with under 30 seconds left. UCLA went on to win the championship scoring a goal late in the second OT period. Gut wrenching for Tar Heel supporters. Schadenfrued for Stanford and Duke fans no doubt.

Reaction Score
@LoTrader

Some Salty language though

Yes, much salty language toward those who abandoned OSU & WSU. Winning takes care of a lot of challenges, so I expect the OSU Sports Teams to gut out a few significant wins over their PAC-12 opponents (save WSU) this season.

Reaction Score
Looks like the PAC will still be around after all. I like the new model the PAC/Mountain West will be using.

Reaction Score
Looks like the PAC will still be around after all. I like the new model the PAC/Mountain West will be using.

Definitely a twist that would be interesting to see in action. The idea is familiar to those who follow European soccer leagues.

It's more of an idea than confirmed however. For it to work, the PAC-12 needs to add more schools because the two that remain wouldn't be enough to make it work.

Reaction Score
Lots of options to explore. Until the PAC-2 knows with more certainty where they stand from a legal standpoint, all these potential options are being explored. As soon as OSU & WSU have more clarity, the preferred option will reveal itself. Invitation from another P4 conference remains an option as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom