Ozark: Season 4 (spoilers) | The Boneyard

Ozark: Season 4 (spoilers)

Reaction Score
Just finished up the first 7 of Season 4. Figured I'd open up a thread for discussion.

I'm going to be a little nitpicky here.

1) I guess no one is concerned about any wiretapping or surveillance of any kind. Discussions just happen daily between FBI agents, US citizens and members of international drug cartels and no one cares if they mention killing people or moving millions of dollars of raw heroin.

2) The ratio of people still alive and people who have been murdered and are missing without a body is pretty nuts. Shoot anyone you want, dig a hole or bring them in and cremate them....and none of it's questioned or brings additional heat on anyone.

3) Much like the final season of GoT, I feel like waaaay too much of this stuff is compressed into 5 minutes of screen time. Things like bribing senators with an immediate 5 minute meeting? Wendy just walks in with some bullsht foundation and a wake of drug and laundering questions right behind her and, in mere minutes, she has the full weight of a states political control. I don't know. Just all feels too rushed and forced.

Reaction Score
I just finished binging and now have to wait for the next 7. I agree, the killing and just burying people was almost like satire. Unreasonable.

Spoilers, of course.

I can roll with some things that don't make sense, but here's what really bothered me. Ruth is clever. Wyatt is an idiot. Fine. Ruth then goes and asks Frank Jr not to do anything, and Frank Jr agrees. Makes zero sense. Darlene shot Junior's dick off and then killed his father, and Ruth doesn't want Junior to do anything because her idiot cousin wants to marry the complete lunatic Darlene. None of that makes sense. She had to know Wyatt was going down with Darlene sooner or later, and it happened very quickly.

Reaction Score
I can roll with some things that don't make sense, but here's what really bothered me. Ruth is clever. Wyatt is an idiot. Fine. Ruth then goes and asks Frank Jr not to do anything, and Frank Jr agrees. Makes zero sense. Darlene shot Junior's dick off and then killed his father, and Ruth doesn't want Junior to do anything because her idiot cousin wants to marry the complete lunatic Darlene. None of that makes sense. She had to know Wyatt was going down with Darlene sooner or later, and it happened very quickly.
I took it that Ruth knows Frank Jr was her only vehicle for moving the heroin. Darlene doesn't want her ideas. Frank Sr had cut ties. Frank Jr was her only play left and if he kills Darlene, she doesn't have a business connection to move drugs.

Reaction Score
I took it that Ruth knows Frank Jr was her only vehicle for moving the heroin. Darlene doesn't want her ideas. Frank Sr had cut ties. Frank Jr was her only play left and if he kills Darlene, she doesn't have a business connection to move drugs.
I suppose. But Darlene was a dead woman. She just blasted a whole through the KC crime boss. Whether it was spineless Frank Jr or someone else in the crime family, someone was going to take out Darlene. Plus Ruth was planning on getting out of dodge. She should have smacked Wyatt around and forced him to leave Darlene .

Reaction Score
I suppose. But Darlene was a dead woman. She just blasted a whole through the KC crime boss. Whether it was spineless Frank Jr or someone else in the crime family, someone was going to take out Darlene. Plus Ruth was planning on getting out of dodge. She should have smacked Wyatt around and forced him to leave Darlene .
Yeah, I can see all of that as well.

I have consistently tried to make comparisons to Breaking Bad here with Marty's "meth" being the laundering and Ruth playing "Jesse" to him as the trashy, street smart sidekick. That said, I think the #1 thing I'm curious about seeing tied up is the Ruth storyline. Do they take the route of the poor kid with a rough background coming out of it smelling like a rose? Or does her story end poorly?

Reaction Score
There is, a house, in Flowery Branch . . .

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just finished up the first 7 of Season 4. Figured I'd open up a thread for discussion.

I'm going to be a little nitpicky here.

1) I guess no one is concerned about any wiretapping or surveillance of any kind. Discussions just happen daily between FBI agents, US citizens and members of international drug cartels and no one cares if they mention killing people or moving millions of dollars of raw heroin.

2) The ratio of people still alive and people who have been murdered and are missing without a body is pretty nuts. Shoot anyone you want, dig a hole or bring them in and cremate them....and none of it's questioned or brings additional heat on anyone.

3) Much like the final season of GoT, I feel like waaaay too much of this stuff is compressed into 5 minutes of screen time. Things like bribing senators with an immediate 5 minute meeting? Wendy just walks in with some bullsht foundation and a wake of drug and laundering questions right behind her and, in mere minutes, she has the full weight of a states political control. I don't know. Just all feels too rushed and forced.
I shared similar feeling last season. An inescapable scenario is escaped with a single scene.

We need a 150 million bucks stat!! I know, we'll approach a big drug company and offer drug cartel heroin at a cheaper price and sell it as, "Well, at least you get it off the street!"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't see this thread when I posted in the binge thread.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that everyone can know that the cartel guy killed a cop and there are no consequences.

This show is jumping the shark.

Reaction Score
I am binging the show and halfway through season 1. I want to to be fully prepped for season 4 part 2.

And future Ruth is now running UCONN!

Maric_220114a013-998x665.jpg

Reaction Score
I didn't see this thread when I posted in the binge thread.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that everyone can know that the cartel guy killed a cop and there are no consequences.

This show is jumping the shark.
This is the final season so it does seem they are moving things along to a conclusion, maybe a bit too quickly, causing the jumping of the shark. As for cartel Javi, it remains to be seen but taking out the sheriff was a split decision. The new sheriff seems to be far more competent and it seems odd to bring her in at such a late stage of the series. The FBI cluster f is a mess too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am binging the show and halfway through season 1. I want to to be fully prepped for season 4 part 2.

And future Ruth is now running UCONN!

Maric_220114a013-998x665.jpg
I always thought Ruth looked like Quentin Tarantino.

1643658822781.png

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Through episode 5 and I'm yawning a bit. No day is easy for the Byrdes but they always get what they need.

Reaction Score
Through episode 5 and I'm yawning a bit. No day is easy for the Byrdes but they always get what they need.
I think the yawns might be a bit presumptive. Most series need to lay groundwork early for the big payoff and I'd be shocked if the ending here was lame. I have my issues with this season (thus the thread) but I don't think I'd yawn yet. Just my two cents.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This show is like the last season for Game of Thrones. It is still fun to watch, but stuff just happens randomly. Now Darlene is killing mob bosses just because? And why did Frank Sr. just walk into her house anyway? Javi is talking about bombing federal agents in public? Jonah would NEVER have left the passwords in a place that could be accessed that easily. But it is still fun so I guess whatever.

Reaction Score
This show is like the last season for Game of Thrones. It is still fun to watch, but stuff just happens randomly. Now Darlene is killing mob bosses just because? And why did Frank Sr. just walk into her house anyway? Javi is talking about bombing federal agents in public? Jonah would NEVER have left the passwords in a place that could be accessed that easily. But it is still fun so I guess whatever.
Anything related to computers in movies is beyond unrealistic. People guess or find passwords when we constantly have to reset ours because we forget them, they expire, not strong enough, etc. In movies they can hack into NSA with a phone but we can't get the wireless printer to work. Yes, still fun. I'd say Darlene is the despicable villain in this show and I would have liked to see that play out differently.

I hadn't realized that Marty's partner Bruce was working with the feds as I am finishing up season 1 again. Then it made me wonder:
1. Did the FBI catch Bruce and pressured him into being an informant?
2. Was Bruce already working for the feds when he brought Del in?
3. Was Marty also a prime target or just the connection to nab the cartel?

Reaction Score
Also, there is no way Darlene should even be alive given what she did to Frank Jr.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wait till episode 8 in the 2nd half of the season when Jonah 3D prints a live dragon :p

Reaction Score
I haven’t read any other comments because of the spoilers. I’m in the process of finishing up.

It’s still very good but some of these plot lines and details are getting far fetched.

Ruth and now Maya are probably my favorite characters. Most of the other people seem irredeemable. Ruth is smart enough and cunning enough to do whatever she would aspire to. But of course in the universe of this show the only way out of an Ozark town is through a life of crime. Coastal types have some really interesting assumptions.

Maya is a grinder. The baby is a great plot device because it presents the possibility of more tragedy.

Kids in this part of the country don’t take the SATs, they take the ACT.

$150M to be able to control who runs in elections across the whole midwest. That might not even get you KC or St Louis. More coastal hilarity but OK. It’s a different universe so we shouldn’t get caught up on that.

Now to a bigger nitpick. Big pharma making a deal with a cartel? LOL. But I’m still suspending disbelief; also I’m certain that the show is making a not subtle suggestion that Big Pharma is a cartel in its own right. The opioid crisis is a huge deal in that part of the country so this must be the angle.

Also we just had a women swindle CVS and Silicon Valley for hundreds and hundreds of million so I guess people can get away with anything for a little while.

Other than my nitpicks, I still love the show and hate to see it end. I’m only on episode 5 or 6.

Reaction Score
Ruth and now Maya are probably my favorite characters. Most of the other people seem irredeemable. Ruth is smart enough and cunning enough to do whatever she would aspire to. But of course in the universe of this show the only way out of an Ozark town is through a life of crime. Coastal types have some really interesting assumptions.

Maya is a grinder. The baby is a great plot device because it presents the possibility of more tragedy.
Interesting. I find Maya to be a one note bore. And she appears to still have that pregnant waddle even though she had the kid. Does nothing for me.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I find Maya to be a one note bore. And she appears to still have that pregnant waddle even though she had the kid. Does nothing for me.

She is the fed. She needs to be contained and controlled, it makes things like her outburst when she got back to Navarro seem more meaningful.

I couldn’t tell if it was an act or she was really unhinged or both. Either way, she’s winning the negotiation at that point.

Reaction Score
I haven’t read any other comments because of the spoilers. I’m in the process of finishing up.

It’s still very good but some of these plot lines and details are getting far fetched.

Kids in this part of the country don’t take the SATs, they take the ACT.

$150M to be able to control who runs in elections across the whole midwest. That might not even get you KC or St Louis. More coastal hilarity but OK. It’s a different universe so we shouldn’t get caught up on that.

Now to a bigger nitpick. Big pharma making a deal with a cartel? LOL. But I’m still suspending disbelief; also I’m certain that the show is making a not subtle suggestion that Big Pharma is a cartel in its own right. The opioid crisis is a huge deal in that part of the country so this must be the angle.

Also we just had a women swindle CVS and Silicon Valley for hundreds and hundreds of million so I guess people can get away with anything for a little while.

Other than my nitpicks, I still love the show and hate to see it end. I’m only on episode 5 or 6.
NO SPOILER HERE
Only 7 episodes to Part 1 so you are almost there. Now we wait for Part 2. Yes, avoid the spoilers at all costs. Just roll with the plots and enjoy.

Reaction Score
She is the fed. She needs to be contained and controlled, it makes things like her outburst when she got back to Navarro seem more meaningful.

I couldn’t tell if it was an act or she was really unhinged or both. Either way, she’s winning the negotiation at that point.
Is she? More likely she ends up with a bullet in the middle of her forehead. We are certainly not going through all this to watch that bore put Marty Byrde away for good.

Reaction Score
Is she? More likely she ends up with a bullet in the middle of her forehead. We are certainly not going through all this to watch that bore put Marty Byrde away for good.

Show me where she touched you Deepster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom