Overseas 22-23 Thread | The Boneyard

Overseas 22-23 Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So if these international contracts are multi-year, does that immediately mean they are in conflict with WNBA guidelines for 2024 and they are waiving goodbye to the WNBA for 2024 and beyond? :confused:

Reaction Score
So if these international contracts are multi-year, does that immediately mean they are in conflict with WNBA guidelines for 2024 and they are waiving goodbye to the WNBA for 2024 and beyond? :confused:
From ESPN Will WNBA's prioritization force players to choose between league and playing overseas?

"Starting in 2023.... It will become punitive to miss the designated start of training camp or May 1, whichever is later. Players beyond their third year in the league will be fined. If they miss the start of the regular season, they will be suspended for the entire season. Then in 2024, the mandatory arrival stretches to the designated start of training camp or May 1, whichever is later. If players aren't there by then, they will be suspended for the season.​

In short, players can miss training camp next year and still play the season, but as of 2024, if they aren't there by the start of training camp, they are out for the season.​

... players can compete overseas and not be fined or suspended for a late arrival to camp after their rookie and second years in the WNBA. Once they are a three-year vet, they face those penalties."​

It would appear May 1st is the key. If their overseas contract releases them before May 1st then they are fine. There are a number of leagues that finish up before May 1st. Some leagues finish well into May. We'll have to wait to see if they adjust their seasons or if this year and last were just aberrations.

Reaction Score

G'Day Karlie

Interesting ..... From Wikipedia: "The WNBL regular season typically begins in early October and concludes in mid to late February. During the regular season, each team plays 24 games, 12 home and away. Each team plays each other at least three times, and some of the teams four times. The top four teams in on the Championship ladder move on to the WNBL Finals, usually taking place in March."

With that May 1st deadline we see more WNBA players interested in Australia ....Katie Lou?

Reaction Score
Almost a whole day without anyone posting about Breanna joining Kiah at Fener:

Interesting ..... From Wikipedia: "The WNBL regular season typically begins in early October and concludes in mid to late February. During the regular season, each team plays 24 games, 12 home and away. Each team plays each other at least three times, and some of the teams four times. The top four teams in on the Championship ladder move on to the WNBL Finals, usually taking place in March."

With that May 1st deadline we see more WNBA players interested in Australia ....Katie Lou?
Some will as they always have, but the money in Australia is not that great so players are generally giving up something in that department to play there.

Reaction Score
Almost a whole day without anyone posting about Breanna joining Kiah at Fener:

Some will as they always have, but the money in Australia is not that great so players are generally giving up something in that department to play there.
True but they finish their season in March making that May 1st deadline moot, it's summer down under, and they only play 24 to 30 games (KLS played over 50 games her first year in Spain)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Next Article on Stewie and Meesseman Joining Fenerbahce

Looks like the Turkish powerhouse want to get over the proverbial hump. Stewie and Emma join K-Mac, Satou Sabally and Kiah Stokes.
  • Point guard: Olivia Epoupa, Olcay Çakir
  • Shooting guard: Kayla McBride, Alperi Onar
  • Small forward: Alina Iagupova, Manolya Kurtulmus
  • Power forward: Breanna Stewart, Satou Sabally
  • Center: Emma Meesseman, Kiah Stokes
https://www./international/euroleag...-stewart-emma-meesseman-sign-with-fenerbahce/

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Probably only of interest to me, but I’ll put it out here to mingle amongst the big dogs…

Five time NAIA all-American and fellow Argo alum, Parker Esary, is making a name for herself in the NBL1, averaging 15p/10r/1a on 50% shooting through her first five games with the Perth Redbacks. I’m like 99.9% certain she’s Providence’s (no, not that Providence) first women’s pro player.

Hoping a bigger club takes notice!

Reaction Score
Probably only of interest to me, but I’ll put it out here to mingle amongst the big dogs…

Five time NAIA all-American and fellow Argo alum, Parker Esary, is making a name for herself in the NBL1, averaging 15p/10r/1a on 50% shooting through her first five games with the Perth Redbacks. I’m like 99.9% certain she’s Providence’s (no, not that Providence) first women’s pro player.

Hoping a bigger club takes notice!

Frankly I would like to know more about the Australia leagues. Australia produces some pretty good bb players ... and coaches.

Reaction Score
Frankly I would like to know more about the Australia leagues. Australia produces some pretty good bb players ... and coaches.
Australia has a pretty strong sports culture and basketball is no exception. People tend to think that women's basketball is popular in Australia, but participation-wise it has historically trailed soccer and netball on the team side, not counting significant participation in individual sports. The advantage that basketball has is that there has been a path to full scholarships at American colleges and better potential for global acclaim and playing professionally around the world. Soccer is competing with basketball for high level professional opportunities now. Netball pays pretty well locally and given that it was created by changing the rules of basketball, there are players who play both competitively. The big threat is that Australian Rules Football has a national women's professional league with teams in the same organizations as men's teams so money is pouring in now. Some percentage of women's basketball players in Australia grew up wanting to play only to pursue basketball because they saw no path beyond local amateur or semipro football and a number of them are switching sports. Some of them are able to play both when the seasons do not overlap and Tessa Lavey took it one step further by playing both at the same time, playing football when there were two games on the same day.

The WNBL is the highest level. Depending on ownership situations at any given time, some teams are owned by the basketball authority of the state that they operate in and government funding is often given as well. A substantial number of players also have jobs or gigs or attend Australian universities along with playing in the league. Besides the paid players, which now has a minimum salary attached, teams are allowed development players who are young and unpaid, which is how the best young players can participate and still maintain NCAA eligibility.

The base to the development system is the local club, which is kind of like how a lot of club sports operate in the United States. Clubs have youth teams and then generally have a senior team without age limits. They also tend to run a lot of local competitions, including rec leagues and they are funded by a mix of player fees and local government grants or business sponsorships. Youth teams compete with each other and players are trying to impress the people who run the state youth teams so they can compete in the national championships for their age. The top young players are given scholarships to the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence as a part of the Australian Institute of Sport, which is known for elite development in many sports. That is one of the reasons that the NBA chose to open an NBA Academy site there and exchange knowledge on youth development in basketball. AIS used to field a team of their scholarship holders in the WNBL, but their boy's and girl's teams have bounced around since then.

For years, Basketball Australia administered the SEABL, which had the senior teams of top clubs across several states while each state association also ran leagues locally with all of these competitions happening during the WNBL/NBL offseason. After that fell apart, a new league called the NBL1 was formed starting mostly in Victoria and Tasmania. Queensland's league joined as well as South Australia and Western Australia and this season the last division covering New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory was formed and a team from the Northern Territory joined the Queensland division so besides division play, there will be a national championship at the end of the season. With a few exceptions, clubs have to field both men's and women's teams. There are still plenty of clubs that are not at this level and play in state or regional competitions. Besides foreign players limits of two players, not counting New Zealanders, there are restricted player rules to prevent any one club from fielding too many WNBL/NBL level players. Pay is not that high at this level, but foreign players make extra money working another job or coaching youth for their clubs. For the good WNBL players, the combined income of both leagues can be enough for them to only focus on basketball. A lot of the Australians who pursue better money in Europe play NBL1 in that offseason as well. Otherwise, clubs have most of their bench players barely being paid or field amateurs heading to college in the United States.

Even the clubs at levels below NBL1 are generally interested in signing American players. A decent number of them end up permanently settling in Australia. Men's basketball was especially popular several decades ago and that is why a lot of Australian players with either one or two American parents are well known names in basketball these days.

Reaction Score
Makurat has a couple of WNBA players as teammates, but had the best game in her team's opening weekend win:

As players actually start playing in major leagues, I will add them to this list:

For anyone who was reading my coverage, it can be found here this season:

In addition to covering eight domestic leagues, major international leagues, and national team play, I have started a weekly series covering notable international basketball items from elsewhere:

That way people can read about things like Meighan Simmons having a 56 point triple-double in a loss.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Unless the WNBA is going to start paying more, I don't see the players turning down the money that the European leagues are offering. If you have enough high value players playing and staying to play in the playoffs, missing their cutoffs. It may just force the WNBA to move the season back instead of missing the play of people like Stewie and others.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand this signing as Avenida has 2 very good pg's in Dominguez and Cazorla. I guess 3 is better than 2. Wish Moriah the best. She has the best coach to play for.

Mo Jefferson played her first regular season game in the Spanish LF Endessa League today, for Avenida.
She scored 7 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal in 29 minutes. Lot's of energy.
I thought she played well considering she only had one preseason game to get used to the new teammates.

New to Avenida is Erica McCall/Stanford and she played well too, tons of hustle.

Box score

Reaction Score

Olivia Nelson-Ododa said she plans on playing in Australia.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Olivia Nelson-Ododa said she plans on playing in Australia.
I do not see Liv on any roster, as of today. Some teams do not have all players listed on the roster, so she may be added soon. League play starts on Nov 3rd.

Reaction Score
She made the statement during her Sparks exit interview in August, as I recall. I never saw a signing though either.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mo Jefferson played her first regular season game in the Spanish LF Endessa League today, for Avenida.
She scored 7 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal in 29 minutes. Lot's of energy.
I thought she played well considering she only had one preseason game to get used to the new teammates.

New to Avenida is Erica McCall/Stanford and she played well too, tons of hustle.

Box score

Where are the Samuelsons?

Reaction Score

Box score

I did not watch any of the game, but the result seems pretty lackluster considering how weak Gran Canaria's roster is. They will get better with Sylvia Dominguez and Yoyo Nogic, but the Super Cup will be interesting this weekend if they have to defeat Valencia and Girona on back-to-back days.
I do not see Liv on any roster, as of today. Some teams do not have all players listed on the roster, so she may be added soon. League play starts on Nov 3rd.
There seem to be plenty of open import spots left.
Where are the Samuelsons?
Karlie signed with the Townsville Fire in Australia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom