Overseas 2021-22 Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overseas 2021-22 Thread

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Avenida was great last year but they might be even better this year with the addition of WNBA Finals MVP Kaleah Copper, who basically took over for Tiffany Hayes. And no knock at all on Tiffany, who was fabulous. The Samuelsons are thriving and Avenida is playing its best basketball of the season right now.

Good thing, as they have a Euroleague game with Praha (Alyssa Thomas, Brionna Jones) on 1/20 and a Spanish League game against Valencia (Rebecca Allen, Marie Gulich) on 1/22. Both at home. They are two of the best teams that Avenida will face.

Also an upcoming Euroleague game on 2/2, also at home, against defending champion UMMC (Stewie, plus most of the rest of the WNBA). The UMMC roster is just ridiculous. Copper will be playing against Sky teammates Quigley and Vandersloot, WNBA champs.

Fun stuff.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Avenida was great last year but they might be even better this year with the addition of WNBA Finals MVP Kaleah Copper, who basically took over for Tiffany Hayes. And no knock at all on Tiffany, who was fabulous. The Samuelsons are thriving and Avenida is playing its best basketball of the season right now.

Good thing, as they have a Euroleague game with Praha (Alyssa Thomas, Brionna Jones) on 1/20 and a Spanish League game against Valencia (Rebecca Allen, Marie Gulich) on 1/22. Both at home. They are two of the best teams that Avenida will face.

Also an upcoming Euroleague game on 2/2, also at home, against defending champion UMMC (Stewie, plus most of the rest of the WNBA). The UMMC roster is just ridiculous. Copper will be playing against Sky teammates Quigley and Vandersloot, WNBA champs.

Fun stuff.
The point guard is Maite Cazorla, who was also that at Oregon during the first 3 years of Sabrina's career. 11 assists in the last game.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Avenida game vs Praha is tomorrow, Wed Jan 19th at 2.30pm EST

This will be one tough game. It will also be for 2nd place in the group behind UMMC(Stewies team)
Speaking of Stewie I saw a brief video of her on a stationary bike, today. Not sure how long she still has before returning.

The previous game Praha won by 25 points. This was before Copper arrived with the team.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since Breanna Stewart is scheduled to the WNT camp before the DC Tournament, I hope she'll soon be back with Ekaterinburg

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tuesday, the top 2 teams in Euroleague, Group A, meet.
UMMC vs Avenida in Salamanca Spain.
UMMC has Griner, Jonquel Jones, Meeseman, Quigley, Sloot, plus others.(Stewie still out)
Avenida has Copper and Lou, and others.
Last time they met UMMC won, in Russia, 110-102
Game is at 2.30 pm EST

Just heard UMMC has some positives on the team. No Griner, No Torrens, No Vadeeva.
Still have Jonquel Jones, Meeseman, Quigley, Sloot, Bentley and 3 other Russians.
Game starts in a few minutes.

Reaction Score
Just heard UMMC has some positives on the team. No Griner, No Torrens, No Vadeeva.
Still have Jonquel Jones, Meeseman, Quigley, Sloot, Bentley and 3 other Russians.
Game starts in a few minutes.
Thanks for the reminder, ochoopsfan.

Is Griner hurt, or just not in town for the game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Avenida getting their doors blown off. 57-34. early in 3Q KLS leading in scoring with 13 pts (5-12) (2-6_ from 3Pt

Copper only 9 pts

Reaction Score
Avenida getting their doors blown off. 57-34. early in 3Q KLS leading in scoring with 13 pts (5-12) (2-6_ from 3Pt

Copper only 9 pts
It's just a mismatch in talent. More than anything to me, it shows what a great game Avenida played to make that December game interesting.

To Katie Lou's credit, she shot well early when it was fairly close.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Gah. I can't imagine what this game would be at right now with Griner and Vadeeva available. I taught last period today and was hoping to come back to a competitive second half.

I may eat these words later, but I just don't see how a team is going to be able to compete with Ekat without them having a down night and the other team playing the game of their lives.

Unrelated, I wish these teams sold apparel. I'd love to add both an Avenida and Ekat shirt to my rotation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gah. I can't imagine what this game would be at right now with Griner and Vadeeva available. I taught last period today and was hoping to come back to a competitive second half.

I may eat these words later, but I just don't see how a team is going to be able to compete with Ekat without them having a down night and the other team playing the game of their lives.

Unrelated, I wish these teams sold apparel. I'd love to add both an Avenida and Ekat shirt to my rotation.
So just to be clear, these teams can operate without any kind of salary cap or limits on foreign players?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So just to be clear, these teams can operate without any kind of salary cap or limits on foreign players?

In Euroleague competition, there is no salary cap or limit on foreign players.

However, their are limits on the number of non-European players that a team can play for their country's league games. I can't seem to find official rules anywhere, so maybe I heard that on a podcast? Or read it on a message board? So take that for what it's worth since I haven't been able to verify actual rules and numbers. But Ekat, for example, played a game recently against the team from Moscow and zero of their non-European (by citizenship, not necessarily by birth...) players played. That's why it becomes more lucrative for players to get citizenship elsewhere (especially if they don't see a future with USAB), so then they're able to negotiate contracts for the full season instead of just the Euroleague games.

Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In Euroleague competition, there is no salary cap or limit on foreign players.

However, their are limits on the number of non-European players that a team can play for their country's league games. I can't seem to find official rules anywhere, so maybe I heard that on a podcast? Or read it on a message board? So take that for what it's worth since I haven't been able to verify actual rules and numbers. But Ekat, for example, played a game recently against the team from Moscow and zero of their non-European (by citizenship, not necessarily by birth...) players played. That's why it becomes more lucrative for players to get citizenship elsewhere (especially if they don't see a future with USAB), so then they're able to negotiate contracts for the full season instead of just the Euroleague games.
So these super teams only play in Euroleague. Ok. But how do teams qualify for Euroleague? Is it not like Champions League in soccer where their performance in the Domestic League qualifies them and gives them position? So Ekat qualifies with their domestic performance without the all stars? :confused::confused::confused:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So these super teams only play in Euroleague. Ok. But how do teams qualify for Euroleague? Is it not like Champions League in soccer where their performance in the Domestic League qualifies them and gives them position? So Ekat qualifies with their domestic performance without the all stars? :confused::confused::confused:
Not sure if this helps, about how teams qualify for EuroLeague
I still think that the teams can only have 2 USA players on them. The only USA players on Ekat are Griner and Stewart.
On Avenida it is Copper and Alarie. Both Samuelsons are under British passports(both have USA passports, too).

Horrible game by Avenida. I dont think Copper hit the floor in the 4th quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure if this helps, about how teams qualify for EuroLeague
I still think that the teams can only have 2 USA players on them. The only USA players on Ekat are Griner and Stewart.
On Avenida it is Copper and Alarie. Both Samuelsons are under British passports(both have USA passports, too).

Horrible game by Avenida. I dont think Copper hit the floor in the 4th quarter.

Oh. I see. Limits only on Americans. Clever use of players with dual passports.

The link for Euroleague explanation is beyond my comprehension but if the domestic and euroleague teams are the same, don't need to know the fine details.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

The link for Euroleague explanation is beyond my comprehension but if the domestic and euroleague teams are the same, don't need to know the fine details.
Yes they are the same teams.
There may be limits for some of the domestic teams as to how many foreign players can play in a game. I have seen a healthy Griner and another Euro sit in the stands for a game.
Avenida has 7 non Spanish players on the team and 5 from Spain. They all can dress for any game, domestic or Euroleague.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think the limit is for non-european passports and I think they include middle east as 'European' - Lauren Jackson for example counted as a non-european.

With fairly lax rules on who can get a passport in many countries, there are a hell of a lot of US citizens with dual passports - Sue played as an Israeli I think and DT as an Italian when they played in Europe. It works for Euroleague and for National Teams in WC and Olympics. Those NT teams have quite a few US college players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom