OT: Overrated US cities | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Overrated US cities

Reaction Score
DC is the most cultural dense city in the USA save New York. It has three Shakespeare companies. All are very good. The theater scene is incredible. The Smithsonian has a collection of art, natural history, Americana and the best space museum on the planet. Their speaker series is second to none. Musically every major touring artist on the planet in virtually every genre makes a stop. The diversity of ethnic restaurants, ethnic festivals, embassy day where all the embassies open their doors, goes on and on. Professional baseball, basketball, football, hockey, tennis, golf all are here, college sports as well. The list goes on and on. There are dozens of books that just scratch the surface of the things to do.

How anyone could call this city overrated is.....not justified.

Reaction Score
People hating on Orlando because of the parks? Disney isn’t in Orlando, it’s in Lake Buena Vista, to the southwest of the city.

I moved down from Connecticut 2 1/2 years ago. Originally, the intent was to live on the east coast but my husband and I LOVE Orlando. There are many neighborhoods - Paramour, College Park, Baldwin Park, Lake Nona, etc that each have their own personality and feel. There are no tourists in our neighborhood, just friendly folks out walking their dogs and enjoying the weather.

I’m 10 minutes from the center of the city, close to the Dr. Phillips Theater where I can see touring Broadway plays, the ballet, or the symphony. Just a couple minutes from there is the Amway Center for NBA games or rock concerts. Division I sports can be seen down the road at UCF. There are comedy shows and festivals and fund raisers...something every weekend, a billion times better than the dead downtown that’s Hartford.

Maybe next time go into the actual city before deciding you hate a place. You might be surprised.
I should explore a bit more of Orlando but I hate driving into downtown and west of the city. Just seems like there is always construction and traffic on I-4. I need to find a alternate way into Amway Center from the east. I did check out UCF campus so I will be watching some football and baseball there but that is an easy drive for me.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I should explore a bit more of Orlando but I hate driving into downtown and west of the city. Just seems like there is always construction and traffic on I-4. I need to find a alternate way into Amway Center from the east. I did check out UCF campus so I will be watching some football and baseball there but that is an easy drive for me.
East of the city is best. You can take the Sun Rail in on weekdays

Reaction Score
Yeah. I haven't spent a ton of time there, but I do know that I don't care for Buffalo pizza and I truly do not understand the love for beef on weck, which is one of the most boring regional sandwiches I've ever encountered.
Beef on Weck can be bad if you don't get it from the right place because the right place takes a really long time preparing it and when it's right it's godly. The pizza style sucks up here but there are good pizza places that don't do Buffalo style. But anyway--restaurants are great, bar scene is really good, cultural scene is excellent, and the natural beauty is impressive as well, not to mention the architecture and homes that are still around from Buffalo's past when it was a much wealthier city.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Buffalo really is a great little city. Despite the reputation.
I have a high school friend who is really enjoying Buffalo after sourcing a great work opportunity when his lengthy newspaper career ended with a retirement package. He'd very much liked Baltimore for pretty a good run.

Good lives are lived in many places.

Reaction Score
Burlington, VT

Why do people keep mentioning Orlando? No one thinks Orlando is great, not even people who live in Orlando.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I agree. I moved here 18 months ago and love it. I don't even notice the bugs since we have screened enclosure. I can get in my car and travel without too much traffic unless I go to Miami. More leisurely drive than driving in the Northeast even though there are plenty of maniacs on the road.

I do share other's opinion of Orlando. I avoid that city except for the airport. I have waited in airport lines there as well which makes me appreciate Bradley. Worst traffic in my area and have to pay a toll to travel on 528. I'm not a fan of theme parks and have no kids so not much for me in that city.

Others complain that Ft. Lauderdale has no soul. I travel there multiple times a year to be close to the ocean and also have many options for food or drink in a concentrated area. I'm easy to please.

Is the pizza good though?

Reaction Score
Is the pizza good though?
No, I have not found a good pizza nor good Italian cookies nearby. I have been trying to find a good clam pie with no luck in the Cocoa Beach area. You would think with all the fresh seafood around, this would not be a problem but you would be wrong. I was back in CT two weeks ago and made a stop at Pepe's just to satisfy my pizza urge. For good almond paste cookies, I have to drive an hour to Port St. Lucie. Just as well, since I don't need the carbs anyway.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lol Florida. That is all.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stockton, CA. Everyone's always raving about how beautiful it is - the "Paris of the San Joaquin Valley" they call it, the cultural attractions, and the great lifestyle, and I just don't see it.
Huh. I've never heard anyone rave about Stockton. Probably heard it referred to as the butt end of a joke several times though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Portland OR and Seattle are now overrated and in decline. Seattle was terrific in the 90s.
Sadly true. Both have deteriorated rapidly recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom