Our depth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our depth

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Here's the thing with Gaffney. People still think he is a point guard. It is clear he is not. His game translates best into a spot-up shooting guard. I like his shot and have mixed feelings about ability to get to the basket, but unless he is going downhill on a drive to the hoop, he can't dribble or run an offense.

The problem is, we apparently don't have another guard on the team Hurley feels comfortable throwing out at PG (I guess diggins isn't ready?). So then we got to play him at point when Cole is out and we have this weird log jam of players who all seem to be playing out of position. In an ideal world, AJ is not a 2. Polley is not a 4. Gaffney is not a 1. But that's what we apparently have to work with at the moment.

I'd equate Gaffs mental struggles to Gleyber Torres playing SS vs 2B. As a PG, Gaffney just doesn't have the confidence. When he plays the 2, he is looks more at ease on the floor.

Reaction Score
i realize that you, like most here, don't actually play basketball.
boring retort that doesn't address the Gaffney issue...he's not a PG and he's ineffective against good teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
if it does he'll take out the guys on the court and put in all the guys on the bench.
I heard it more like the guys are on the bench will be the starters the next go round, rather than he’ll empty his bench. But it could’ve been interpreted either way.

Reaction Score
'Gaffney hasn't progressed,'
hmmmm, 8 games in, aaaaannnnnndddddd
3rd in steals
2nd in fta's,
1st in a/to %.
1st in 3%, 48% on 3rd most attempts.

all at only 19 minutes per game.

ramble on. the best part? he has consistently shown that he is a breakdown penetrator against anyone. anyone. it's almost a pattern. things get sideways, coach sez 'jmoney! get in there and fix this offense mess! get it, drive, get fouled, make some freebies!' did i mention about shooting 48% on 3's?
math is our friend, or

What his defense? And don’t bring up steals, very overrated stat.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing with Gaffney. People still think he is a point guard. It is clear he is not. His game translates best into a spot-up shooting guard. I like his shot and have mixed feelings about ability to get to the basket, but unless he is going downhill on a drive to the hoop, he can't dribble or run an offense.

The problem is, we apparently don't have another guard on the team Hurley feels comfortable throwing out at PG (I guess diggins isn't ready?). So then we got to play him at point when Cole is out and we have this weird log jam of players who all seem to be playing out of position. In an ideal world, AJ is not a 2. Polley is not a 4. Gaffney is not a 1. But that's what we apparently have to work with at the moment.

I'd equate Gaffs mental struggles to Gleyber Torres playing SS vs 2B. As a PG, Gaffney just doesn't have the confidence. When he plays the 2, he is looks more at ease on the floor.
He's getting blown by with regularity by opposing guards and he clearly is not having any fun. His lack of confidence or negative mental state is creating a physical impediment. He is better than he's showing.

Reaction Score
'Gaffney hasn't progressed,'
hmmmm, 8 games in, aaaaannnnnndddddd
3rd in steals
2nd in fta's,
1st in a/to %.
1st in 3%, 48% on 3rd most attempts.

all at only 19 minutes per game.

ramble on. the best part? he has consistently shown that he is a breakdown penetrator against anyone. anyone. it's almost a pattern. things get sideways, coach sez 'jmoney! get in there and fix this offense mess! get it, drive, get fouled, make some freebies!' did i mention shooting 48% on 3's?
math is our friend, or

You’re not watching the games. He is 0.

Reaction Score
It's clear Hurley believes Diggins has zero ability to play right now. A reporter asked him about it actually recently on why he didn't bring him in during Bahama's to break press. Hurley had his usual snide remark (think it was something along the lines of "and then do what? bring a guy in just to break a press?") but the indication was that Diggins is non existent right now with playing time.

That's too bad.
I haven’t seen any practice but I find that really hard to believe unless Diggins is just a lot worse than his ranking. Diggins is more talented (by far) compared to any player on the UMES team that almost beat us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen any practice but I find that really hard to believe unless Diggins is just a lot worse than his ranking. Diggins is more talented (by far) compared to any player on the UMES team that almost beat us.

And yet, playing only against cupcakes, his stats are worse than any other scholarship player. There’s a reason he hasn’t played. Johnson is the guy who should play more. Akok needs to play more too, and we need to try to get him the ball, not just waste him as a screener.

Reaction Score
Johnson is not ready yet to get minutes unless it’s during a blow out like we’ve seen previously. He is not physically ready yet and he would have been pushed around and targeted if he played against any of the games in Atlantis. Same thing when league games start shortly. I’m sure the staff sees this in practice. I’m all for players of his caliber/potential to get a lot of minutes as a freshmen in order to get experience however, only on a team that’s a average or below average team. We are not that type of team so I agree with the staff on Johnsons minutes so far this year. There are better and more experience players ahead of him. Akok is one of those who needs to play more to get out of his funk.

I do think and hope that Diggins should be seeing some pt now that Martin will be out and another ball handler is needed. If Cole,Jackson or Gaffney get into foul trouble or get injured Diggins will be a piece that is needed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Took 3 weeks and 8 games for fans to go from we don't have minutes for 13 players to we are down to 7-8 players.

It's amazing how injuries and lack of skill have a magnificent way of whittling down available players.

Reaction Score
What good is our depth if we don't play our bench much? With Martin out you would expect to take advantage of our "depth" but he sat Diggins, Johnson and Akok played very little... and against a cupcake team.
I think the minutes in that game would’ve gone differently if we were up 20 throughout. I don’t blame Hurley for sticking to the A team to keep the lead, though I wanted to see Samson and sool. Let’s hope Saturday goes the way it should and we see them get on the court

Reaction Score
We all hope so but outside of Cole and Whaley everyone was really lousy last night and he didn't play the two freshman we're talking about at all. Hurley said he did a horrible job of preparing the team to play last night and it won't happen again, if it does he'll take out the guys on the court and put in all the guys on the bench. Again, I like what he said but it's just words at this point. Last night seemed like the perfect time to send a message and put in the guys who don't play.

I hate when coaches make these proclamations because they are BS. He has coached how many games by now and he did not realize he had players on the bench who were not put into the game? Hurley knows he needs another point and that is why Ajax was at the point in the first half when we crossed half court. Ajax needs to be more efficient and less flashy so we have less crap possessions on offense. If Hurley thinks he can go the season with RJ taking all the load of team it is going to be a problem. Play Diggins and get him ready to help when needed please.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom