Our Defensive Coordinator situation...? | The Boneyard

Our Defensive Coordinator situation...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any word on what we're doing here other than the previous rumors closer to around the time Spanos took a leave of absence. I know there was speculation here and there, but nothing concrete... Any updates???

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any word on what we're doing here other than the previous rumors closer to around the time Spanos took a leave of absence. I know there was speculation here and there, but nothing concrete... Any updates???
I’ve heard that part of the upgrade to the rent is to improve connectivity so that defense can be called via interactive fan polling.

Reaction Score
Mora can’t keep doing it. And we also weren’t exactly a good defense. They will promote from within.

You are an unreasonable grader if you don't consider last year's defensive coaching performance "good", the year over year improvement was tremendous. They are coaches are not miracle workers.

I consider promoting from within to be doing the same as last year. Even if he officially gives up the reigns I would expect Mora to be very involved with the defense and the promoted DC will do his bidding.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure they will
Promote. Mora is likely seeing who is out there and I would guess would like an experienced guy who will stay for a couple of years ideally. Unfortunately Spanos didn’t work out but that doesn’t mean the concept isn’t right.

Reaction Score
We ranked 69th (nice) in the FBS in yards allowed. Significantly better than we’ve been seeing the past few years but still room for growth. So I wouldn’t say the defense was good or bad, just average when looking at the season as a whole. The defense was outclassed by Michigan, NC State and Syracuse but was still the strength of the team overall.

I’d imagine Mora’s connections and the positive energy around the program will lead to solid candidates.

Reaction Score
Mora can’t keep doing it. And we also weren’t exactly a good defense. They will promote from within.
When you consider our offensive performance, the defense looks absolutely sensational. We averaged under 20 points a game (117th out of 131 D1 teams) and though I can't give you a number, the offense piled up three and outs.

On the subject of a DC. If we don't hire a DC can we use the money to raise the pay of the other assistants? If Mora is up to the double duty, that may be a way attract better assistants to Storrs.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
When you consider our offensive performance, the defense looks absolutely sensational. We averaged under 20 points a game (117th out of 131 D1 teams) and though I can't give you a number, the offense piled up three and outs.

On the subject of a DC. If we don't hire a DC can we use the money to raise the pay of the other assistants? If Mora is up to the double duty, that may be a way attract better assistants to Storrs.
Has anyone intentionally not hired a coordinator? There are situations like last year where they suck it up temporarily...but has a team just left the position open?

I know many coaches do their own play calling...but don't they always still have an OC or DC?

Reaction Score
You are an unreasonable grader if you don't consider last year's defensive coaching performance "good", the year over year improvement was tremendous. They are coaches are not miracle workers.

I consider promoting from within to be doing the same as last year. Even if he officially gives up the reigns I would expect Mora to be very involved with the defense and the promoted DC will do his bidding.

I think it was ok. I mean come on. We lost to Army. I think I am being realistic and I know Mora is as well. He’s his own biggest critic.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Has anyone intentionally not hired a coordinator?
Bill Belichick doesn’t always feel the need to give someone the “coordinator” title although their offensive debacle with Matt Patricia might have him rethinking that. And if he doesn’t name Jerod Mayo DC soon, Mayo may get a job somewhere else.

In 2018, Belichick hired Brett Bielema as a consultant rather than a coach so that Brett could continue to collect his payout from Arkansas and Bill could get away with paying peanuts for Brett’s salary that year. Brett became DL coach and got a raise after the payout ended in 2019. Anyway, enough about the Pats…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The Hurley shout out about giving Jim mora the resources to run. The program is another piece that makes me think there is a concerted effort to get the football program the resources it needs.

Reaction Score
What am I missing here? I thought Lou Spanos was taking a leave of absence. Has there been an announcement that he will not be returning? Otherwise, I would think this position is not vacant. Maybe this topic is just hypothetical and if that be the case I will go back in to hiding…..

DW

Reaction Score
What am I missing here? I thought Lou Spanos was taking a leave of absence. Has there been an announcement that he will not be returning? Otherwise, I would think this position is not vacant. Maybe this topic is just hypothetical and if that be the case I will go back in to hiding…..

DW
Mora I believe has said they haven’t heard or spoke to spanos since he took the leave of absence, he is gone

Reaction Score
Bill Belichick doesn’t always feel the need to give someone the “coordinator” title although their offensive debacle with Matt Patricia might have him rethinking that. And if he doesn’t name Jerod Mayo DC soon, Mayo may get a job somewhere else.

In 2018, Belichick hired Brett Bielema as a consultant rather than a coach so that Brett could continue to collect his payout from Arkansas and Bill could get away with paying peanuts for Brett’s salary that year. Brett became DL coach and got a raise after the payout ended in 2019. Anyway, enough about the Pats…
Isn’t Bielema head coaching again in the Big Ten? Indiana or Illinois IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom