OT Where are the Yanks+Sox fans? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Where are the Yanks+Sox fans?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
But like most rules there are exceptions and in my experience there are 4 definite and 1 maybe exceptions where friendliness is not the rule: New York Yankees, New York Mets, Philadelphia, BOSTON - and arguably Chicago White Sox. I've been to all including Playoff games at Yankees, Mets, and 30+ at Fenway. Civility is not the norm.
I'm not well traveled, or even attended that many games, but I know you are correct about at NYY and at Boston (for a Yankee fan). During our several visits to Yankee Stadium the behavior of some of the fans, particularly to non-Yankee fans, wasn't very nice.

And we attended Fenway (and Wrigley) for the experience of these famous parks, of course our Boston visit was supporting the Yanks. The fans were not intolerable, more likely to ask us in passing if we knew the Yankee's su***d than banging mini bats at us and shouting which is what we saw in Yankee Stadium. OTH, when we went to dinner in the North End, we waited over 90 minutes (wait time 30, for everyone else) probably due to the Yankee gear. Again, we got remarks, but nothing really unpleasant.

Reaction Score
So for the Mets fans on the board, I guess they were flirting with Theo Epstein the way Urban Meyer was flirting with the blonde girl in the bar (minus the pelvic movements) but Theo basically said "Sorry, I can break the Red Sox curse, I can break the Cubs' curse, but I can't break the Mets curse" and that was the end of that.
A Mets' fan apparently had a deal with the devil that the Mets can be cursed forever after if they were allowed to come back and win Game 6 and 7 of the 1986 World Series but the curse is supposedly unbreakable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I grew up in Massachusetts, left after high school, and almost 40 years later I'm back. Nothing has changed between the Red Sox/Yankees. The Yankee/Red Sox thing is something you are born into. My parents hated the Yankees, my grandmother hated the Yankees, all my relatives hated the Yankees. I have a great uncle that didn't go to his niece's wedding because the Red Sox/Yankee game was on TV. My Italian grand mother cursed the Yankees (I have no idea what she said, but it wasn't nice) on TV. That's the best I can explain it. Its the same thing if your from NY.

Hey, KnightBridge, you should have known better than to wear a Yankee hat to a restaurant in Boston. That's just the way it is.

I don't dislike Yankee fans per se, just the arrogant ones. I've had some great conversations with some Yankee fans at Yankee Stadium. Most Yankee fans are knowledgeable fans, as are Red Sox fans.

Reaction Score
Red Sox were clearly the better team this year & it showed tonight. They crushed the Yankees' ace & kept all their "big bats" quiet (except for Stanton). I'm looking for a Red Sox vs. Dodgers rematch, with the Sox coming out on top again. Hard to match the Red Sox depth in a series. Built for October.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Red Sox were clearly the better team this year & it showed tonight. They crushed the Yankees' ace & kept all their "big bats" quiet (except for Stanton). I'm looking for a Red Sox vs. Dodgers rematch, with the Sox coming out on top again. Hard to match the Red Sox depth in a series. Built for October.
I hate to "defend" the Evil Empire, but the season series was 10-9, in favor of the Sox and they ended the regular season with identical records. I don't think that means that the Sox were clearly were the better team.
But they are today!

Reaction Score
You two above appear to be very civil Red Sox/Yankee fans. I think real Red Sox and Yankee fans would take off the gloves. Boom!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Until the Yankees fire Aaron Boone, this Yankee fan is incognito...
Sad Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Centerstream

Reaction Score
You two above appear to be very civil Red Sox/Yankee fans. I think real Red Sox and Yankee fans would take off the gloves. Boom!
If you are referring to my post and think I am a Yankee fan, I guess my use of "Evil Empire" wasn't enough of a clue that I am a Sox fan. In my reply to BostonBay, I was just citing some facts as it relates to their claim of who is clearly the better team this year. I think it was a dead heat, especially after the ASG.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not well traveled, or even attended that many games, but I know you are correct about at NYY and at Boston (for a Yankee fan). During our several visits to Yankee Stadium the behavior of some of the fans, particularly to non-Yankee fans, wasn't very nice.

And we attended Fenway (and Wrigley) for the experience of these famous parks, of course our Boston visit was supporting the Yanks. The fans were not intolerable, more likely to ask us in passing if we knew the Yankee's su***d than banging mini bats at us and shouting which is what we saw in Yankee Stadium. OTH, when we went to dinner in the North End, we waited over 90 minutes (wait time 30, for everyone else) probably due to the Yankee gear. Again, we got remarks, but nothing really unpleasant.
I've been to Yankee stadium in Red Sox gear few times over the years. All I've ever gotten was good natured ribbing. I don't mind the give and take between opposing fans. That's some of the fun of seeing the game in person.

At the Army/UConn football game earlier in the year I took my fair share of largely good natured ribbing, but at the end of the game the Army fans I sat near me invited me back to the tailgate. It was fun and the food was good. That is part of the gameday experience.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I've been to Yankee stadium in Red Sox gear few times over the years. All I've ever gotten was good natured ribbing. I don't mind the give and take between opposing fans. That's some of the fun of seeing the game in person.

At the Army/UConn football game earlier in the year I took my fair share of largely good natured ribbing, but at the end of the game the Army fans I sat near me invited me back to the tailgate. It was fun and the food was good. That is part of the gameday experience.
Did you wear your Navy uniform to sit among the Army fans?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Based on past experiences. I would never wear my team hats, shirts, etc. in a "visiting" ball park.
Several years ago, I attended a Dodger-Giant game in San Francisco. About the 4th inning, I smelled something burning. I turned around, and some young Dodger fans behind me were holding Dodger banners. Some Giant fans behind them, had set the banners on fire with cigarette lighters.
The worse thing about the whole scene was: an usher standing a few rows behind all this, was standing there laughing. Fortunately, no one was injured.
About 15 years ago, I remember reading about a few conflicts which took place in the parking lot at Dodger Stadium. Apparently, some Dodger-Giant fans were arguing and gun shots were fired. Yes, people were injured.
The Dodgers square off against the Giants tomorrow in San Francisco. I'd just as soon watch it on TV!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Until the Yankees fire Aaron Boone, this Yankee fan is incognito...
Sad Ice Hockey GIF by NHL
As a kid, I had Ray Boone's Baseball card. Here is the Boone family Baseball history:

Ray Boone hit 151 homers and made two All-Star teams. His son Bob Boone was a four-time All-Star and noted as one of the most durable catchers ever while his other son Rod Boone was a college star who played in the minors. Bob had three sons in professional baseball - Bret Boone and Aaron Boone have made a combined four All-Star teams while Matt Boone never made it to The Show. When Bret reached the majors in 1992, it made the Boones the first three-generational major league family ever. Both Bob and Aaron became major league managers after their playing careers.

1633647736421.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As a kid, I had Ray Boone's Baseball card. Here is the Boone family Baseball history:

Ray Boone hit 151 homers and made two All-Star teams. His son Bob Boone was a four-time All-Star and noted as one of the most durable catchers ever while his other son Rod Boone was a college star who played in the minors. Bob had three sons in professional baseball - Bret Boone and Aaron Boone have made a combined four All-Star teams while Matt Boone never made it to The Show. When Bret reached the majors in 1992, it made the Boones the first three-generational major league family ever. Both Bob and Aaron became major league managers after their playing careers.

View attachment 70214

View attachment 70214
I had that baseball card when it was new.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Glad to hear your visits to Yankee Stadium went well. Never was at the stadium for any particularly rivalry game. Not sure if I've been to more than maybe a dozen games from the '60's through 2010. We took my then 90 year old mother on a tour of the new stadium and later attended games at least twice with different family members (my mother wasn't up to attending a game) at the new place, really liked it.

But at a couple of games I remember folks with those mini-bats they sell getting behind groups of visiting fans and banging them on the seats / box dividers. We actually had to relocate because of the disruptive behavior ruining watching the game.

I don't understand those sorts of fans.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

View attachment 70214
Thanks for the nice Boone family write-up as they are one of only a very few 3 generations of baseball families. Not sure what that response has to do with my stance he has to go but…..while Aaron by all accounts is a nice guy and a quasi-Yankee legend (remember despite his heroic home run against the Sox that put them in the World Series, they did lose to the Marlins), he is NOT A GOOD MANAGER. He constantly makes poor lineup choices, always giving a declining veteran preference over younger and up and coming players, he doesn’t hold any of the players accountable for their poor judgment-see Clint Frazier, see Gary Sacnchez, see Gleybor Torres, his coaches failed miserably this year-Phil Nevin led the league in runners being thrown out at the plate, Reggie Willits was responsible for base running and stealing and we were one of the worst at both. Marcus Thames has been abysmal in situational hitting and overall run production as the hitting coach and Boone is responsible for all of that. His in game tactics and bullpen management are terrible. Go back to broadcasting as your directive to communicate with the players did not bear the fruits of any WS appearances not Titles. Take a long look at his Rosters these past 4 years and save for the Dodgers who else has had that kind of Talent?

Reaction Score
Sox fan here....celebrating that game-saving, heads up play by Hunter RenThrow.... he fields that clean...Rays might still be hitting,

5+ hour baseball game...nice relaxing Sunday!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sox fan here....celebrating that game-saving, heads up play by Hunter RenThrow.... he fields that clean...Rays might still be hitting,

5+ hour baseball game...nice relaxing Sunday!
I set the DVR for 4 hours. It was a pretty good 9innings, except fot the, what, 14? pitching changes.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I set the DVR for 4 hours. It was a pretty good 9innings, except fot the, what, 14? pitching changes.
Something I noticed about yesterday's game on YouTube TV, the game was still showing up in the Guide list right up until it was completed. Not sure if this is a new thing for all tv providers or unique to YTTV. I have also noticed that if a live game is being recorded, it's recorded until the game is completed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Something I noticed about yesterday's game on YouTube TV, the game was still showing up in the Guide list right up until it was completed. Not sure if this is a new thing for all tv providers or unique to YTTV. I have also noticed that if a live game is being recorded, it's recorded until the game is completed.
On Verizon, the recording is set based on the scheduled run time. That was three hours, I added an extra hour.

Three hours for nine innings is one of the reasons I almost never watch baseball any more. This one lasted four hours for nine innings (with only 8 runs scored); I think they're too embarrassed to print the time it took to play 13 innings. ; )

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
On Verizon, the recording is set based on the scheduled run time. That was three hours, I added an extra hour.

Three hours for nine innings is one of the reasons I almost never watch baseball any more. This one lasted four hours for nine innings (with only 8 runs scored); I think they're too embarrassed to print the time it took to play 13 innings. ; )
Yes, the games are getting longer and longer; I really don't think anyone enjoys that. However, if MY team is playing, I will keep watching. It will be just like a Doubleheader from years ago.

Reaction Score
Went to the Sox 13 inning win over the Rays on Sunday & it was a TOTALLY different atmosphere than the Wild Card win over NYY.

To my tastes more enjoyable.

Sports rivalries are great generally speaking as they pique interest in the games and all of us have more fun - when it's civil.

College sports are still pretty good and I get more fired up for UConn vs ND or TN than the norm. Its fun, but even with the intensity there isn't thug behavior and the like which crosses the line and turns fans away from events.

Red Sox website says ALCS tix on sale Friday - either matchup should be a family friendly event at Fenway. Houston has a beautiful stadium should they advance and you're close, White Sox are an adventure should you try to take the train to the stadium or walk to parking after.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom