(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My wife and I received the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine about a week ago. My arm was sore for 24 hours, so much so that I couldn’t sleep on my left side. My wife was fine. Other than that, we’re feeling great.

Had a four hour round trip to the mass vaccination site in Plattsburgh, NY to get the vaccine, but we would have traveled a lot farther if we had to. The site was a large airport maintenance facility with 5 sets of overhead doors. The National Guard handled all the logistics of checking you in. The medical personnel were great. You drove in and out, never getting out of your car.

Looking forward to getting our second shot in a few weeks, and then getting back to work on my “Bucket List” which has taken a serious hit in the last year. The day after getting the vaccine I booked a trip for the week before Thanksgiving to Paradise Atlantis to watch UConn WBB and swim with the dolphins. ?

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Pfizer - first shot 1-28 - sore arm like any usual vaccination, no other side effects
2nd shot 2-18 - very sore arm but no other side effects. Week and 1/2 later no side effects.

Got ours in NH from two different national guard sites. Still masking but we did make plane reservaitons for April 16 to fly to CA to see our kids.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In early February, I had scheduled my appointment as soon as I was notified by my PCP's health group that Group 2 vaccines were available. I made an appointment for the Pfizer shots for May 6th! :eek: I also signed up with the County Health Department. Then last evening the County called and my first Moderna shot will be Monday morning with the second shot already scheduled for 3 weeks later.

Reaction Score
1st dose I had back in February and I had no ill effects at all. 2nd dose, which I got yesterday was fine until I woke up this morning feeling like I got run over my a truck. Body aches lasted for about 8 hrs then disappeared.
I got the first Pfizer shot this morning and then went back to school to finish the day.

About five minutes after I got it, I got really hot and flush for a few minutes, but that subsided. Could have been the vaccine or it could have been a little of the anxiety from being face-to-face with students since August.

Just a little bit of soreness in my arm, and upon reading some other recommendation, I took ibuprofen when I got back to school and again before heading up to bed to skim the BY and pass out.
Salute to a fellow teacher. Wishing you and your students health and happiness!

Reaction Score
Wife had Pfizer. First shot was a piece of cake. Second shot had a headache. Sore arm both times of course.

I had the Moderna vaccine. First shot, nada. Second shot from 12 to 24 hours felt like I had the flu. And sore arm both times.

Reaction Score
BTW, I'm not sure, but I think my sister, her husband and I may have jumped the gun on getting the vaccine. We are all in the 65+ group and in early January I believe they announced that the age had been lowered to include 65+ so we jumped on it and made our appointments. However, sometime after we made our appointments, we read that the lowering to 65+ was actually for some future date. We were worried that when my brother-in-law went for his 1st shot around Jan 20, the week before my sister and me, that he would be turned away, but that never happened. My sister and I crossed our fingers when we went for our shots a week later, but nobody raised an issue about it. We were scheduled to get our shots 10 minutes apart. We arrived 25 minutes early, but there was no line so they took us anyway. By the time the post-shot 15 minute waiting period had expired, it was still before my appointment time. We were just happy to get the shots. And this coming Tues will mark the 14th day following our second shot.

Update: I just looked it up. Apparently the date on which 65+ officially became eligible for the vaccine in CT was Feb 11. We got shot #1 on Jan 25, shot #2 on Feb 16. Don't know why we weren't blocked from signing up in the first place or turned away at the door when we arrived for the first shot. I suppose they just want to vaccinate as many people as possible. They had available doses and we had available arms.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 doses Pfizer. Arm a little sore for two days with the first one, one day with the second. No ill effects otherwise.

Reaction Score
My wife and I have had both shots of the Moderna vaccine. After the first shot, I woke up at 2 AM with every one of my arthritic joints aching at the same time. It was all over by morning. My wife, who is immune-suppressed had little reaction other than a sore arm for one day. The second shot was a little rougher for me with another round of joint pain at night followed by a day of feeling under the weather. Really no big deal at all and well worth it. We can now hang with friends who have also been vaccinated without masks. We still need to mask up in public and avoid crowds until the rate of community spread comes down.

The data shows that side effects vary all over the place between individuals. In general, older people with weaker immune systems show milder reactivity. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the intensity of side effects and the level of antibodies that develop. But this still needs to be studied more. But if you get a stronger reaction to the second shot, at least you know that something good is going on.

My niece and her partner at Denver Med are in their early 40s and had no reaction at all to the Pfizer vaccine. They were so concerned they got tested for spike protein antibodies and they both had seroconverted as expected. Some of their younger colleagues had much more severe side effects and 4 were actually admitted. But everybody did just fine. It will be interesting to see how younger people in the general population will respond to the shots when it is their turn. I hope that the stories that they are undoubtedly going to tell on social media don't discourage others from being vaccinated. The virus is spreading fastest among the 18-35-year-old age group, so they are particularly important for the ultimate control of the pandemic.

Reaction Score
I had both Moderna shots. After the 1st shot, only a sore arm, nothing bad. About 3-4 hours after the 2nd shot, I started getting a headache and about 7 hours after I started getting the chills and feeling yucky. I didn't sleep really well that night and I took the day off the next day. I was nothing serious, just knew I wouldn't be good at my job that day. 24 hours after the shot, I felt back to normal.

Reaction Score
No vaccines available here in NE New Mexico. Called VA and they don't even want us to walk thru the door in both Santa Fe and ABQ. I am going to drive to Texas and see if I can get shots in San Antonio since I have a residence in that area.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Unable to get appointment here in Shelby County, Al. even though I am eligible. Some controversy here as to where the doses are being sent. State will not release information to the public. I am able to wait if I must, but think there should be a central scheduling system. There is not such a system in Alabama. Happy for all of you who have received your jabs.

Reaction Score
Why am I not surprised that so many of us on this board are eligible for the jabs? Could it be that we are over 75 in large numbers?
My reaction to the jabs was the same as for most of you: soreness similar to flu shot; nothing more.
Hope the process speeds along, or we'll have no one alive except old codgers and grocery store workers.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Qualified for it because of my work, first Pfizer shot 16 days ago, second shot scheduled for this coming Thursday (apparently 21 days later is optimal for the second Pfizer shot).

Fairly sore arm the next day, no other side effects. Mostly just tremendously grateful for the scientific and medical communities, and the tremendous resources this country had to fund them and get (multiple!) highly effective vaccines to market in record time. The miracle of these vaccines is such a bright spot after this past year of darkness.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's reunions with grandkids, fun vacations, and most of all, someday soon, IN PERSON ATTENDANCE AT WCBB GAMES!

Reaction Score
Unable to get appointment here in Shelby County, Al. even though I am eligible. Some controversy here as to where the doses are being sent. State will not release information to the public. I am able to wait if I must, but think there should be a central scheduling system. There is not such a system in Alabama. Happy for all of you who have received your jabs.
Shelby County is not yet on the state registry system. You can learn how to register here:

Shelby County COVID-19 Vaccine Registry

The trick is to be persistent and register at all of the online sites. You can always cancel once you get an appointment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom