OT :Twitter - I am done! | The Boneyard

OT :Twitter - I am done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I made the difficult decision to deactivate my account on Twitter. The hate and disinformation from both sides of the aisle was suffocating and ridiculous.

I will miss the running commentary on the games from fellow fans but the membership in this cesspool is not worth it.

Just curious if others feel the same way?

Reaction Score
I am sure this thread will vanish, or get locked, etc. I don't use Twitter myself, but do you find that you aren't able to ignore stuff you find ridiculous, or is it too much trouble to do so? By trouble I mean does the platform make it hard to filter out stuff you don't want to be bombarded with?

Reaction Score
I made the difficult decision to deactivate my account on Twitter. The hate and disinformation from both sides of the aisle was suffocating and ridiculous.

I will miss the running commentary on the games from fellow fans but the membership in this cesspool is not worth it.

I'm looking at alternatives, but not ready to quit twitter just yet. I'm not optimistic that it will get better, but, on balance, still enjoy more than I dislike.

Reaction Score
You have to work Twitter. I have carefully culled a curated list of posters over many years (10+). I get a lot of great information from it that I would not otherwise get. More depth than I would ever get in the mainstream media. I also do a lot of blocking which seems to keep me free of the madness. I do follow a couple people who seem to attract nutjobs (David Simon, Dee Snider) and I follow Paul Krugman (who seems to be in a daily war with Wall Street) so I understand what you're talking about.

The only reason I'd leave it is if people have to pay for it so they leave, and if he wants me to pay for it.

Then yes, I'm out.

One of the reasons Twitter worked so well is also its downfall. It was a spare place to get info across quickly without wading through tons of muck. And that made it hard to monetize. As long as the old crew kept a lid on ads, the place would retain its relative popularity. But if it loses that charm, they're going to lose even more money as people abandon it.

Maybe these things only have the lifespan of a decade or two: Twitter becomes the new MySpace, MetaFacePlant, Instagrampa, TikTokCrok

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I strongly disagree with your "both sides of the aisle" comment.

Reaction Score
I hardly use social media, but I see enough of it to understand the point of the OP. I read 3-4 news sources a day and I like to think I do so with a critical eye towards the source of that news and the underlying motivation of that group. What truly amazes me today is what I perceive to be a lack of critical thinking as it relates to digesting information. Many folks seem to be completely unaware that they put themselves in never ending cycles of the same "think". I assume it's like an addiction. But the resulting lack of perspective can be truly frightening.

My sense is that this is a human tendency that always existed, but now, with the onset of these technology platforms, the velocity of these information loops greatly contributes to the situation we are now in.

Reaction Score
I am sure this thread will vanish, or get locked, etc. I don't use Twitter myself, but do you find that you aren't able to ignore stuff you find ridiculous, or is it too much trouble to do so? By trouble I mean does the platform make it hard to filter out stuff you don't want to be bombarded with?
I began blocking folks but it became too cumbersome. You can block people but not topics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom