OT- TU Gets Big Bucks For P5 Games, Struggles To Get Teams To Chapman Stadium | The Boneyard

OT- TU Gets Big Bucks For P5 Games, Struggles To Get Teams To Chapman Stadium

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_be415367-8d4c-5ad7-a7a1-6165cbe3e86c.html

Looking at the schedules for upcoming seasons of University of Tulsa football, some heavy hitters are on the horizon.

The next six years feature nonconference games against Oklahoma State, Texas, Arkansas, Michigan State, Ohio State and Ole Miss — opponents from the premier Southeastern, Big Ten and Big 12 conferences.

Although the Hurricane already was working to play a Power 5 team on an annual basis, the American Athletic Conference recently encouraged its members to upgrade their schedules in an attempt to bolster its Power 6 argument.

“Our schedules need to match that,” TU athletic director Derrick Gragg said. “We wanted to upgrade on our end. Obviously there’s an economic component to it as well. Playing those teams and being very competitive and winning some of those games is very important.”

Coming off a successful 10-win season in Philip Montgomery’s second year, TU continues to face difficulty in persuading teams to visit H.A. Chapman Stadium, where the Hurricane went undefeated in 2016.

“It’s not a secret that we have a very good football program,” Gragg said. “Ten wins and everybody saw what we did in the bowl game (a 55-10 win against Central Michigan). It’s hard to get on the phone with opposing programs now and get them to agree to come here.”

In-state opponents are seemingly the only teams willing to play at TU as part of a two-for-one deal. While OSU athletic director Mike Holder has proposed annual series in football and men’s basketball, Gragg does not appear ready to sign up for that.

“I don’t think you ever want to lock yourself into anything indefinitely because it’s hard to predict what’s going to happen down the road,” he said. “Obviously OSU and OU are very attractive opponents for us, especially if we can get them to come here, but you also want to be responsive to the fans and what they want, too. Sometimes they want to see different opponents.”

Pretty dumb of Tulsa to not lock up the Oklahoma State series on an annual basis if that was really offered IMO. But this outlines the difficulty that some teams can face in getting P5 type opponents to come to their home stadiums and further notes the good job done by Warde and AD David Benedict in scheduling to get teams like Missouri, BYU, Illinois, Indiana, BC, etc on the schedule for home and home games.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Also to add on- a lot of the AAC teams have gotten great home games vs P5's. ECU, Temple, Memphis, SMU, Houston, UCF, USF, etc have all gotten great high level P5's to agree to come to their stadiums. Need TU and a few others to pick it up but the AAC schedules for the future are impressive for the most part.

Reaction Score
Fenway Park is not the Rent thus not a home game, I don't care how anyone wants to spin it otherwise.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Fenway Park is not the Rent thus not a home game, I don't care how anyone wants to spin it otherwise.

So your not going?
The money makes it worth it. While and a trip to Boston is a lot of fun, especially when UConn win's this "home game"

Reaction Score
That was definitely dumb of them to not lock up the OSU series. It's not as if we're luring "P5" programs now that have stadiums with a capacity of 80K+.

Reaction Score

I'm not happy about the Fenway game, and I'm not going. The move made sense financially, but I still hate it.

But Syracuse was a home game, Virginia was a home game, Missouri will be a home game, and BCU is a home game that we chose to move to a different venue while keeping most of the gate, and increasing our revenues. They agreed to come to the Rent, just like those other P5 programs.

Spin that anyway you want, but the fact is, the past two ADs have done an excellent job getting P5s on the schedule.

And, Tennessee still owes us a home and home, or a sizable check.

Reaction Score
A uniform upgrade might help them out a little one would think.... I never understood why they were all over the place with the color format there... I'm sure the colors probably represent something historical with the school... but they need a better designer IMO...

Reaction Score
We should do a game or 2 at Yankee Stadium as well. Would be nice to play say Syracuse or Rutgers or maybe a big time opponent there (ND? Texas?Auburn? Tennessee?Bama(wishful thinking)?)

Reaction Score

Psst... UConn still has a home:home on the books w/ BC beyond this year (2022 @ Rent, 2023@Chestnut Hill)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We should do a game or 2 at Yankee Stadium as well. Would be nice to play say Syracuse or Rutgers or maybe a big time opponent there (ND? Texas?Auburn? Tennessee?Bama(wishful thinking)?)

Yes wishful for now - we have to show up at Fenway first in my opinion before we see another stadium game beyond the planned UMass game at Gillette.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The game was moved to Fenway after it was already agreed on for a home game at PAWSARF.

Reaction Score
Yes wishful for now - we have to show up at Fenway first in my opinion before we see another stadium game beyond the planned UMass game at Gillette.

That UMASS game is guaranteed to be played in a mostly empty stadium.

Reaction Score
That UMASS game is guaranteed to be played in a mostly empty stadium.
It's our road game, not home game. Their on campus stadium only seats 17,000. We'll be able to send more UConn fans to Gillette than we would have if we played it in their stadium.

Reaction Score
Tulsa is in a no win situation. Few if any P5 Schools will sign up for a competitive road game against a lower profile program. Especially one located in an area with few tangible recruiting benefits. Its the same reason Boise has to go on the road or play "neutral" site games. Nobody with a brain is going there. If you are Oregon State, Indiana, or Mississippi State, this game is all risk with zero recruiting reward. If the Tulsa AD truly had an opportunity to sign a yearly Football/Bball Home and Home Series with Ok State and passed, he shouldn't only be fired, he should be loaded onto a rocket and shot into space.

Reaction Score
Tulsa is in a no win situation. Few if any P5 Schools will sign up for a competitive road game against a lower profile program. Especially one located in an area with few tangible recruiting benefits. Its the same reason Boise has to go on the road or play "neutral" site games. Nobody with a brain is going there. If you are Oregon State, Indiana, or Mississippi State, this game is all risk with zero recruiting reward. If the Tulsa AD truly had an opportunity to sign a yearly Football/Bball Home and Home Series with Ok State and passed, he shouldn't only be fired, he should be loaded onto a rocket and shot into space.

Tulsa actually has some pretty good area highschool football. Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow and Bixby and others put out some decent teams. Jenks and Union being the headliners there. It's been a while since I've paid attention but they used to put out D1 talent on the regular. I would think this is why OSU would be willing to do a home and home with Tulsa, anything to get an edge over OU.

Reaction Score
Coming off a successful 10-win season in Philip Montgomery’s second year, TU continues to face difficulty in persuading teams to visit H.A. Chapman Stadium, where the Hurricane went undefeated in 2016.

What's a 10-win season?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That was definitely dumb of them to not lock up the OSU series. It's not as if we're luring "P5" programs now that have stadiums with a capacity of 80K+.
Seriously. "We can't get P5 teams to come here so we said no to an infinite agreement with Okie St. "

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom