OT-Things to do and places to eat (with teens) in. Carlsbad, San Diego area | The Boneyard

OT-Things to do and places to eat (with teens) in. Carlsbad, San Diego area

Reaction Score
Snorkel at LA Jolla Underwater Park, Miramar Air Station (Top Gun Museum), Old Town San Diego, SD Zoo & Wildlife Park, Padres baseball, Tiaquana (daytime, not at night)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Look for the Pizza Port nearest you. There is one right in Carlsbad. Casual pizza places with tremendous beers made on-premises, as well as impressive "guest" beers.

Lots of ridiculously great beer all around out there.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Haven't been since I was stationed out there but if you feel like going to pacific beach the Pacific beach bar and grill was always a great place to go

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
@mauconnfan Pebble Beach is about 7 hours away from San Diego
If you take @8893 suggestion, stick with the beer and avoid the pizza. It sucks out here.

I've always enjoyed Balboa Park in San Diego and the Gas Lamp area at night was a blast.

Reaction Score
As somewhat lame as it sounds, the SD Zoo is really a must see. Between that and/or the safari tour you could spend an entire day there.

Miramar Air Base is also legit. Went to the airshow they had back in the Fall and it was awesome. If the Padres are in town, check out Petco Park. Great place to take in a ball game.

Reaction Score
Been living out here 10 years now. I'd say Phil's BBQ, if you're in Carlsbad, go to the one in San Marcos, you won't regret it. Hike Torrey Pines (park in street near the golf course then walk down, do not go to the pay parking lot). Beach in Carlsbad Village is good or Moonlight beach in Encinitas. Pick your spot in Encinitas as there are tons of places to eat, Encinitas Ale House has a great burger and tons of beers to choose. Drive up to Mount Soledad, can see the entire city from there. Walk around La Jolla Village then go to El Pescador for a fish sandwich. Balboa park is great. North Park (hipster area) and Little Italy have some great places to eat. Basic Pizza downtown was started by a guy who copied Bar in New Haven. Fidel's in Solana Beach is great Mexican food. Padres actually have a team worth watching this year and a great stadium.

Reaction Score
As somewhat lame as it sounds, the SD Zoo is really a must see. Between that and/or the safari tour you could spend an entire day there.

Miramar Air Base is also legit. Went to the airshow they had back in the Fall and it was awesome. If the Padres are in town, check out Petco Park. Great place to take in a ball game.
The Wild Animal Park extension to the zoo in Escondido was even nicer (as I remember).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone! Been there once for work. The zoo is amazing. Will definitely bring the kids. The Midway was interesting but probably not my kids cup of tea. Will check out Balboa park. Liked La Jolla Beach cove. Staying in Carlsbad so the food and beer suggestions are great.
Not a golfer though.
Son (about to turn 16) is into seeing that are new for him. Geography, landmarks, anything really.

Reaction Score
In San Diego I second Gas lamp area, also Old Town had some great food. Coronado Island is worth the trip too.

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone! Been there once for work. The zoo is amazing. Will definitely bring the kids. The Midway was interesting but probably not my kids cup of tea. Will check out Balboa park. Liked La Jolla Beach cove. Staying in Carlsbad so the food and beer suggestions are great.
Not a golfer though.
Son (about to turn 16) is into seeing that are new for him. Geography, landmarks, anything really.
Couple of places for pictures... the National Cemetery up near Cabrillo Monument for view of the city and bay. Also Shelter Island just before sunrise for beautiful pictures of the city. Was stationed at the base about 50 yds away, and we would often head out on the pier at the end of our night shift to check it out. Lastly, any sunsets.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Look for the Pizza Port nearest you. There is one right in Carlsbad. Casual pizza places with tremendous beers made on-premises, as well as impressive "guest" beers.

Lots of ridiculously great beer all around out there.

Probably more for you than the kids, but Urban Pizza is just across the street from right field at Petco Park and is a very good version of New Haven pizza, owned by a couple of Yalies, I believe. Good beer selection too. Loud as hell at night with a post-industrial vibe the teens might like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom