OT: Test #514B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #514B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14. .In 1986 7 million participated in an event for the homeless & hungry called..?.

15..A simple vinegar test saves lives. How so?

16..Explain: Cuckoos facilitate adoptions.

17..Very popular, global sport is now OK'd for the 2020 Olympics. Which?

18..Minimum wind speed for hurricane? For tropical storm?

19.."...Outa my hair and send him on his way." All the particulars?

20..This college(?) has just joined the Missouri Valley Conference.

21..What was the Tule Lake Separation Center?

22..Link General Amos Halftrack to General George Washington.

23..Explain "mulligan".

24..An extrusive igneous rock that floats on water?

Get that gray matter moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
18..75 mph for hurricane 50 mph for tropical storm

23.."mulligan" that's a do over in golf .... when allowed (among friends) usually the first shot of the round. don't know the origin.

24..pumice?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
14. .Band Aid?

16..It lays its eggs in the nests of other birds.

18..74 mph for hurricanes, I'll guess 37 for tropical storm

19..Song from South Pacific ("I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair") I never liked the musical, I just have a vague memory that the woman singing it (in the movie) is on the beach washing her hair, maybe cheesed off that the man she's fallen for is shipping out.

21..An isotope separation plant?

22..General Halftrack drools over his secretary, maybe Washington did, too?

23..A free do-over tee shot in a round of golf.

24..Pumice

Last edited by a moderator:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
14. .Hands Across America … have you been watching Jeopardy?

15..OH! I should know this. I read an article how simple tests without the aid of expensive complex technology have been developed for detection of multiple diseases for use in countries without such means or at least very limited and expensive access. In general this is the answer however, I suspect you are wanting a specific test for a specific disease in a specific country. Why such tests are not used in the USA considering the cost of health insurance is mind numbing.

16..Some species of Cuckoos lay one of their eggs in another bird’s nest. The cuckoo chick hatches first and through its actions and growth rate induces the host bird to feed it more often than its own chicks which eventually wither and die.

20.. Valparaiso

23.."mulligan" is a stew of leftovers and a golf shot taken after a particularly odious shot without counting an additional stroke.

24..Pumice

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
14. Live Aid concert in the UK and US

16..Cuckoos lay their egg in another species nest. The cuckoo chick hatches earlier than other species and then proceeds to push the other eggs out of the nest.

17..Rugby

18..76 mph

24..Pumice

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
17. I do know that Softball is back, at least for those Olympics. Don't know if that is what you are going for. Rocket says Rugby but I know I watched at least some version in last year's Olympics.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
17. I do know that Softball is back, at least for those Olympics. Don't know if that is what you are going for. Rocket says Rugby but I know I watched at least some version in last year's Olympics.

There were 4 or 5 added ... Softball and baseball for one or two - men baseball and women softball ... is the there men's softball in the Olympics?... don't seem international enough. Surprised they were added. Is cricket an Olympic sport? Don't remember it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I really like this answer! :)

It was a real thing, but it was a benefit for musicians and definitely not 7 million people. It was after Live Aid and Farm Aid. I like the name, as you do, and thought if I was going to make a wild guess, it might's well be that.

Reaction Score
18) 75mph, 39mph
19) lyrics to the song "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair" from South Pacific.
21) Japanese Internment Camp
24) Tephra

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There were 4 or 5 added ... Softball and baseball for one or two - men baseball and women softball ... is the there men's softball in the Olympics?... don't seem international enough. Surprised they were added. Is cricket an Olympic sport? Don't remember it.
Softball (women's, although men's softball is an actual sport) was in the Olympics and dropped; it was becoming more and more international, and in fact the US only took the silver the last time it was there. There was a lot of political issues with Baseball (and the relationship to MLB, and other stuff) that sort of doomed softball as it was perceived as the women's version. I'm just not sure its return (or Baseball's which I'm not surprised but didn't know) are international enough for the question.

Cricket is not an Olympic sport. It was over 100+ years ago, not anymore.

Reaction Score
14. Live Aid. On two continents. Phil Collins performed on both continents; Made possible by the now defunct SST.
18.Hurricane - 75mph Tropical Storm - 50mph. And these are sustained winds, not mere gusts
19. I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair and send him on his way - Nellie Forbush in South Pacific. She must not have been using shampoo because she and the Frenchman enjoyed at least one enchanted evening if not a few with Bali Hai as a backdrop.
22. They both had wives named Martha.
23. Mulligan is basically a do over in golf.
24. Lava

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The topmost post on the board is our moderator reminding us to avoid political opinions. Apparently several were deleted from Part A
that we did not see,and is the cause of Q1-13 being locked. So we will take up your answers here.

1..Here is the site of objectionable comments. I put my 10 foot pole away.

2..Graham Hill is correct. The rest of you may turn off your engines.

3..The tragedy is in Sri Lanka.

4.."...That was there at my command, my love." First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

5..See my fellow NY Times reader...>than 1/2

6..Heavyweight championship, as several of you remember.

7..Yup, computer beats "Go" champ...twice now.

8..Chester A. did it.

9..Crossley Field, Cinn.

10..Taiwan

11..Carnival by Natalie Merchant

12..Belguim

13..Florida is women's champ.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..No, SVC, I leave the watching to VAUC. But your response is correct.

15..It's used on possible pre-cancerous growths that may lead to cervical cancer. Application turns said growths white and signals the need for removal.
SVC's comment reminds me of an article that describes an opthamologist in (I think) Nepal charges $15 to remove cataracts. Here it is
about $2500.

16..Big, SVC & rocket have grounds for a nature documentary, if we could only entice them to get out of the trees.

17..Sports you mention are either returnees or not world wide in attraction. Surfing.

18..Husky blew me away, um, I mean he's the closest, 74, 39.

19..VAUC gives me the most yuks here. I don't think he got his answer from Jeopardy.

20..We are apprised
of Valparais...o, thanks to SVC

21..Husky is on target, but again, my complaint falls on brevity. A better answer includes that FDR set it up during WW2 to control against possible traitors.

22..VAUC knows both real women and imaginary ones. There's a term for those who can't distinguish between the 2, but I don't know VAUC that well to tell.

23..A do-over, yes, but is it used anywhere but golf? Now, a tennis serve that hits the top of the net and lands in fair territory,
is a do-over. I've never heard an announcer call it a mulligan. Perhaps it's copyrighted just for the links, and people are wary of being sued. Or maybe I'm just absurd. Anyway, when you've finished your workout, you could have a bowl of it for dinner.

24..Rocket and SVC chose pumice.

So in the future I shall avoid political topics and hope you do not make the apolitical political.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
16..Big, SVC & rocket have grounds for a nature documentary, if we could only entice them to get out of the trees.

TOOOOOO FUNNNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rofl.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34