OT-New laptop | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-New laptop

Reaction Score
All MS machines are alike. Look for deal

I'd get Dell w 11gen i5 MPU, and 8-16G of RAM. 500G s/s drive is great. I store documents on a backup drive

Dell support is overseas, but they are Very competent and understand English. They even fix my HP printer issues.

Reaction Score
I just got a new Lenovo Thinkpad and I like it a lot. The only downside is that the camera is low quality and I telecommute. Otherwise I think it’s great.
what is the model?

Reaction Score
All MS machines are alike. Look for deal

I'd get Dell w 11gen i5 MPU, and 8-16G of RAM. 500G s/s drive is great. I store documents on a backup drive

Dell support is overseas, but they are Very competent and understand English. They even fix my HP printer issues.
ps - Inspiron model. NO need to pay up for the 'thin' hi-fashion versions.

Dell is a US company, so you'll prob get better recouse in a dispute.. Others (not HP) are all foreign. Levono (old IBM) is mainland China.

Reaction Score
what is the model?

Caveat: I don't know _____ about computers but my work computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon and I have zero complaints. I don't know what they cost but I take it on the road with me all the time, use it for a ton of zooms, virtual depositions, court appearances, and all the usual attendant bullisht that comes with the job and I've never had an issue.

The funny thing is I dropped a boatload on an iPad pro with the 12.9 inch screen specifically to bring with me when I travel and I've used it maybe twice because this laptop is so much more convenient than I anticipated.

Reaction Score
Caveat: I don't know _____ about computers but my work computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon and I have zero complaints. I don't know what they cost but I take it on the road with me all the time, use it for a ton of zooms, virtual depositions, court appearances, and all the usual attendant bullisht that comes with the job and I've never had an issue.

The funny thing is I dropped a boatload on an iPad pro with the 12.9 inch screen specifically to bring with me when I travel and I've used it maybe twice because this laptop is so much more convenient than I anticipated.
Thanks, have had HPs for both PCs and laptops for 15 years and I'm done with them, been eyeing a Lenovo since they always pop up highly rated on Amazon

Reaction Score
ps - Inspiron model. NO need to pay up for the 'thin' hi-fashion versions.

Dell is a US company, so you'll prob get better recouse in a dispute.. Others (not HP) are all foreign. Levono (old IBM) is mainland China.
pps - be sure it has a USB-C connector port as that's where connector tech is heading. 'C' connects everything w 1 plug/cable.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Oddly, my experience is different. Have only had HP's the last 10 years - I shop in the business section at the website, not personal, less bloatware, better prices and specs. Agree on a minimum 512GB SSD, and 16 GB RAM. Personally, I like a 14 inch screen - as Goldilocks would say, 13 is too small, 15 is too large for portability. The HP Elitebooks are very light, less than 3 lb. I'm replacing my last one now with a new Elitebook, only because it's 6 years old and because HP had a solid replacement - more memory, better screen resolution, better graphics - on sale at half the list price. As it still works fine, I'm having a tough time letting go of the old one, though.

If you go Intel I'd lean toward i7 or higher. Had problems with i3 and some i5 in the past. And I've heard the AMD Ryzen chips rock.

No problem with Dell, though I know several guys who use them without issues.
I have friends that have worked in PC repair etc. HP is notorious for cutting corners. Wiring etc from screen to base is not good. Overall construction isn't good. They run ok and are cheap options if you use them very lightly.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Around 1500 depending on specs. It is a really good laptop.

Just bough two for a couple new employees here.

Reaction Score
I have friends that have worked in PC repair etc. HP is notorious for cutting corners. Wiring etc from screen to base is not good. Overall construction isn't good. They run ok and are cheap options if you use them very lightly.
Have had two and will never again. Nightmare experience with both.

Reaction Score
I just bought a Dell XPS 17 9710 with:

*11th Gen I-7 8800 processor
*NVIDIA RTX 3050 (4GB)
*64GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
*2TB SSD
*"17 HDR Screen
*Windows 11

Runs like a Lambo. Worth every penny.

Reaction Score

*NVIDIA RTX 3050 (4GB)
*64GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
*2TB SSD
*"17 HDR Screen
*Windows 11

Cruising the Boneyard in style. ;^)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

*NVIDIA RTX 3050 (4GB)
*64GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
*2TB SSD
*"17 HDR Screen
*Windows 11

That is, however, a lot of pennies for that machine...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom