OT - My "pro-tem" quiz before the off-season ends | The Boneyard

OT - My "pro-tem" quiz before the off-season ends

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
These questions all deal with history,mostly military,and are drawn from my interest in the Civil War, WWII and other similar topics. Questions are somewhat chronological, and all the chief’s caveats apply.

1 – What is Arthur Wellesley known for?

2 – As a youth I was always confused between “Fort Necessity” and “Fort Nonsense”, one in PA and one in NJ. Help me out.

3 – The general commanding the US Army at the beginning of the civil war was ??; his nickname was “Old ? and ?”

4 – The highest ranking general on the Confederate side was ??, and his position was ??

5 - We call it the Civil War, but if the “Official Records” are to be believed, it is properly titled ??

6 – There was a difference in the naming of battlefields (and Armies) between the North and the South. Can you elucidate?

7 – There was also a difference between these 3 ranks: Brevet Major General; Major General (USA); Major General (USV). Likewise, can we clear up the confusion?

8 – One of the major Union Armies, “The Army of the Potomac” was formed by General McClellan. He was followed by 3 other Generals (of the following 5) – Burnside, Grant, Hooker, Meade, Pope. Which?

9 – Who was President of the US when General Robert E. Lee was restored to citizenship by the House of Representatives?

10. At Spotsylvania – famous last words – “They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance” – who?

11 – Also famous last words – “Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees” – who?

12 - General US Grant’s real first name was?

13 – In World War I, the French General Commanding the Allied Forces at the end of the war, and given much of the credit for the result was?

14 – Another well known French General lost his reputation by heading Vichy (Nazi) France in WWII. Who?

15 – And on the other side, a well known German General, then President, appointed Hitler Chancellor of Germany. Who was this?

16 – My father served in the Army Air Force stationed in England as a Ground Mechanic with the 388th Bomb. Group (H). What did the “H” mean?

17 – His bomb group flew the B-17, nicknamed The ? ?

18 – From time to time, he was transported to another base to work as a ground mechanic on the secret “Project Aphrodite”, which cost Joe Kennedy Jr his life. What was “Project Aphrodite” trying to do?

19 – I had a friend years back who was a “ball turret gunner” on a B-24 Liberator in WWII. Where was his battle station on the plane?

20 – The “Big 3”, Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin met at Teheran and Yalta; what was different about the meeting at Potsdam?

21 – He told Congress “If my father had been American, and my mother British, instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own”. Who?

22 – In January, 1944, General Jimmy Doolittle took command of the 8th Air Force from Ira Eaker. What was General Doolittle famous for doing a few years earlier?

23 – Significance of the “Enola Gay”, a B-29 Superfortress?

24 – The WWII hero who later said “Old Soldiers Never Die, they just fade away?

25 – “From Stettin in the Baltic to Triest in the Adriatic . . . “ – Who? What? And Where said”

Reaction Score
1. For campaigning successfully in Spain against the French and then winning the
battle of Waterloo. ( and for becoming the Duke of Wellington)

3. Winfield Scott (old fuss and feathers).

6. I think the Union tended to name for geographical features and the Confederates for
cities, but the only example that comes to mind is Antietam (Union) v. Sharpsburg (CSA).

7. A Brevet rank was temporary (for the duration of the war). USA rank was regular army,
and USV was a volunteer commission.

8. He was followed by Pope (briefly) then regained command after the 2nd Bull Run, and
then was followed by Burnside, Hooker, and Meade.

10. Gen. John Sedgwick.

11. Stonewall Jackson.

12. Hiram

13. Foch

14. Petain

15. Hindenburg

16. Heavy? (i.e. B17's)

17. Flying Fortress

19. Belly of the Aircraft

20. Truman instead of FDR

Last edited:
Reaction Score
21. Churchill

22. Leading the raid on Tokyo from the carrier Hornet.

23. the plane that dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima

24. Douglas MacArthur

25. Churchill coining the phrase "iron curtin" in a speech in Missouri.

Reaction Score
2. Fort Necessity is in Pennsylvania and was constructed by George Washington and the Virginia Militia after their disastrous encounter with the French at Fort Duquesne (site of Pittsburgh) that sparked the French and Indian War in North America and the Seven Year's War in Europe.

3. "Old Fuss and Feathers"

6. For the most part, the North named battles and armies for rivers and streams (Antietam, Army of the Potomac). The South named battles and armies based on towns or geographic areas (Sharpsburg, Army of Northern Virginia).

8. Burnside, Meade, and Hooker

13. Foche

14. Petain

15. Hindenburg

18. Working on remotely guided aircraft

19. The ball turret was on the belly of the plane

20. Truman took Roosevelt's place at Pottsdam after Roosevelt's demise.

21. Churchill

22. Commanding the Doolittle Raid when B-25's bombed Japan from the fight deck of the USS Hornet.

23. The Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. What plane dropped the second bomb on Nagasaki?

24. Douglas McArthur

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1 – Being the Duke of Wellington
2 – Since Fort Necessity is in PA not all that far from us; Fort Nonsense must be in NJ.
4 – Jefferson Davis, president and Commander-in-Chief
6 – Regarding battlefields the Rebs used towns or structures. The Yanks used natural objects in nature such as a hill or a lake.
13 – Marshal Foch
15 – Hindenburg
17 – Flying Fortress
19 – Tail
20 – During the Yalta conference Germany had not surrendered. During Potsdam conference Germany had surrendered. Also FDR had died and Truman replaced him at Potsdam.
22 – Air raid on Japan launched from the aircraft carrier Hornet.
23 – Dropped the first atomic bomb, Little Boy, on Hiroshima.
24 – Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
First, thanks for putting this together, Knights.

2 – Fort Necessity doesn't share a name with a site in Mathews County, VA. (I'm headed there in a week)

3 – Not sure his real name, I think he was "Old Blood-and-guts"

4 – Robert E Lee, General of the Confederate Army??

5 - I'm not sure what "official records" is. It may be The War Between the States, or if the official records is Southern, "The War of Northern Aggression."

6 – For example, the North called two battles "The Battles of Manassas" while the South called the same "The battles of Bull Run." Not sure whether that's what you're looking for.

12 - Hiram

19 – Was that the bubble toward the tail of the plane?

22 – He was a barnstormer and set a bunch of flying records.

23 – Dropped the bomb on Hiroshima

24 – McArthur

25 – Is that from the Marines fight song (from the halls of Montezuma. . .)?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Upon reading the other responses, kudos to y'all, and I'm once again realizing that I'm really a maroon when it comes to history. Fortunately I have the science thing going for me. ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Upon reading the other responses, kudos to y'all, and I'm once again realizing that I'm really a maroon when it comes to history. Fortunately I have the science thing going for me. ;)
And I'm the opposite. Although I majored in Chemistry, my interest has always been history in general, especially of the trivia sort.

As to your comment above about the "Official Records" - in the later 1800's all the various "orders", "reports" and the like from both sides of the Civil War were gathered by the government into a multi volume - very big - collection. Rutgers had a couple of individual volumes in the library, so I can say I have seen a volume. It is source material for many books. In any case, the full title identifies the war it is in reference to.

Reaction Score
1. British military commander who fought in India before eventually being named supreme commander of British expeditionary forces in Spain during the Peninsula campaign of the war against Napoleon. Eventually invaded France. Named Duke of Wellington.

3. Winfield Scott was titular head of US Army as the states were succeeding. I should remember his nickname. He was fairly ancient when the War began and never had a field command, I don't believe.

4. CSA army had a muddled command structure. Robert E. Lee eventually assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia but did not control the activities of the other confederate armies in the field. To the extent that anyone exercised global leadership it was probably Jefferson Davis who was President of the Confederacy and eventually I think held a generalship.

5. War of the Rebellion

6. North tended towards identifying battles by geographic features. South tended towards place names. Bull Run is the Northern reference, while Southerners referred to it as Manassas.

8. Hooker, Burnside, Meade.

9. Don't know, but I'll guess Hayes.

10. ?

11. Stonewall Jackson

12. It wasn't Ulysses?

14. Petain

17. Flying Fortress

19. Ball turret was underneath the plane. There was an episode of Amazing stories where the gunner was trapped in the turret with no landing gear and I think he drew cartoon gear that held on. He was asleep or something. Not a true story.

20. Truman had replaced Roosevelt as President.

21. Winston Churchill.

22. Doolittle had lead a strike on Tokyo by launching B-24s from carrier group and landing in China.

23. Enola Gay dropped the first A-Bomb. On Hiroshima.

24. Douglas MacArthur

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
All in all you are actually collectively doing swimmingly. Will post the answers tomorrow or Sunday.

As the Wirechief did, a few hints where we are wandering:

4 - The "highest ranking" Confederate General (and rank in general) had a very specific connotation in the day, probably still does. The highest ranking Confederate General was the General appointed "first" when the CSA made its initial appointment of 5 "full" generals. Lee was one of them; not the first. Rank does not necessarily equate to chain of command.

9 - Lee's Citizenship application was lost for many, many years. You were probably alive when this happened.

18. - Ozimoto isn't wrong about "Project Aphrodite" relating to remote control of aircraft, but he is way short of explaining it.

20 - Yep, Truman represented the US at Potsdam. That's only half the answer.

Carry on if anyone can. Thanks.

Reaction Score
4. Well, if it's a date of rank issue, I'll go with one of the Johnsons. Let's
say Albert Sidney Johnson (killed at Shiloh).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
20 - Yep, Truman represented the US at Potsdam. That's only half the answer.

When did Clement Atlee take office as prime minister? How does this factor into the answer? Were both Churchhill and Atlee at the Potsdam conference?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When did Clement Atlee take office as prime minister? How does this factor into the answer? Were both Churchhill and Atlee at the Potsdam conference?
Yes, to the last question. Not simultaneously, Atlee replaced Churchill during the conference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Answers -

1 - The Duke of Wellington, indeed. Ed plus 2
2 - Ozi and SVC correctly get Fort Necessity. Fort Nonsense is in Morristown, NJ, site of one of the Continental Army winter encampments. Supposedly, Washington ordered it built as "make work" but I recently saw that this part is probably not true.
3 - Winfield Scott, "Old Fuss and Feathers". Game has additional details.
4 - STUMPED YA - Samuel Cooper had the 1st commission as a full general, and served as Adjutant General and Inspector General of the CSA. Previous to the war, he was Adjutant General of the US Army. The other 4 commissioned were AS Johnston (as Ed mentions), Lee, JE Johnston and PGT Beauregard. For trivia buffs - Braxton Bragg and Edmund Kirby Smith were later appointed full Generals, the only 7 of that rank.
5 - War of the Rebellion, as Game says
6 - You all got the essential difference in naming; congrats to all
7 - Ed is close. The USV (US Volunteers) rank was the temporary for the duration; USA was the much coveted regular army rank where folks slowly progressed up the ladder over years. For example, Custer, known as a Colonel at Little Big Horn was a Brig. General (USV) during the war. Brevet was "honorary", for example, Winfield Scott (mentioned above) was a Brevet Lieutenant General, entitled to the title and respect.
8 - Game and Ozi have this - Burnside (1862-1863), Hooker (1863) and Meade (1863-1865). Pope led troops from the Army of the Potomac (mostly) to disaster at 2nd Bull Run - but they were constituted as a separate army, the Army of Virginia.
9 - STUMPED YA #2 - Gerald R Ford signed the bill returning citizenship to Lee; his documentation was lost (possibly not accidentally) when he applied after the war.
10 - John Sedgwick proved that they couldn't hit an elephant, but could hit a Major General. Ed got it.
11 - Stonewall Jackson - per Ed and Game
12 - Ed and Big know he was Hiram Ulysses Grant. The Simpson came later.
13 - 15, the WWI trio that most of you knew - Ferdinand Foch who led the allies, Henri Phillip Petain, who later led Vichy France and Paul von Hindenberg, President of Germany.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
16. H for Heavy. Ed knew this.
17. Flying Fortress is correct, Ed plus 2
18. Project Aphrodite was about using planes full of bombs as remote control missiles. The primary target, IIRC, was submarine pens. Pilots had to get the plane in the air and on course, then bailed out. Kennedy didn't survive.
19. Ball Turret, as described, under the belly of the plane. Good for Ed, Ozi and Game. It was a dangerous place to be.
20. We eventually got this, thanks to SVC - not only had Roosevelt died and been replaced by Truman at Potsdam, but during the conference, Atlee replaced Churchill as PM.
21. Churchill, touting his popularity
22. Wow, lots of you knew all about Doolittle's raid on Tokyo.
23 and 24 - Five know all about the Enola Gay and the A bomb and also MacArthur fading away.
25. "an Iron Curtain . ." Ed has it, at Westminster College in Missouri, by Churchill.

I am delighted to have offered a quiz in honor of Wirechief's long effort to amuse and educate us all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom