OT/ Most Pasta for your Buck in Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT/ Most Pasta for your Buck in Connecticut

Reaction Score
Are there any of these Italian restaurants left around? If so, whom gives you the most Pasta for your Buck?

Looking forward to input. I live in the middle of the state so driving somewhere to try out shouldn't be an issue.
Pellicci's is a long-standing authentic family restaurant in the old south end of Stamford.
Everything is great and pasta entrees are served in big wooden salad bowls. The linguine with white clam sauce is the real deal.

P.S. As I write this I have a chicken cacciatore in the oven which is making my house smell great!

Reaction Score
When I was stationed at Rotten Groton, we used to go into Westerly, RI and eat at a place called Dylans on Canal Street. We loved it there. Tuesday nights were Pasta Bar night. All you can eat for like $12. You pick the pasta, the toppings, etc. and they whip it up right in front of you. Really good. They had a filet Mignon that was really good and our favorite was teriyaki chicken breasts. To this day I have never seen chicken breasts this big. We joked that being so close to the base they were probably nuclear fed chickens, but I still have not ever seen anything like it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joey Garlic's is known for big portion while still being pretty good.

Reaction Score
McD's is not cheap. They have a $1.00 soda price, which works out for my wife and myself, as she prefers fountain soda and I end up buying near a dozen a day for the 2 of us (we put them in the refrigerator), and it would be less if she wasn't largely homebound plus the pandemic.

But - from time to time I pick up breakfast if I'm out early or my wife gets up late and opts for a fish sandwich for lunch and you are correct. Pricy. I've spent over $20 on nothing much.

A theory my wife learned years ago when she worked at the bank was that products can be any 2 of fast, cheap or quality but you cannot have all 3.
I hear ya.

Try BK as well as they also offer the $1.00 soda and have lots of great deals on burgers.

Also with McDs, BK etc. Make sure to get their app as they have a lot of deals and discounts that are otherwise not published. You will absolutely save some good money.

Reaction Score
For my money Quattro/Tutti Pazzi in Stamford is THE best, hands down.

Reaction Score
Come on all you seniors hanging out in the boneyard. Have you forgotten the great McD's original slogan? “45 cents for a 3 course meal. Sounds to me like that’s a steal. That’s all it cost to eat there every day. Drive out to McDonald's Drive in right away. That meal included a burger, fries and a drink. Now that was a good deal!

Reaction Score
Come on all you seniors hanging out in the boneyard. Have you forgotten the great McD's original slogan? “45 cents for a 3 course meal. Sounds to me like that’s a steal. That’s all it cost to eat there every day. Drive out to McDonald's Drive in right away. That meal included a burger, fries and a drink. Now that was a good deal!
That's the jingle I remember ('tho I jumbled the second part of the verse). I think the "drink" was the milk shake for - I think - eleven cents. Boy, am I old.

Reaction Score
Searching for food after watching a midnight movie, I stumbled into White Castle. I ordered 7 hamburgers and got change back from a single dollar bill.
My high school years.

Reaction Score
When I was stationed at Rotten Groton, we used to go into Westerly, RI and eat at a place called Dylans on Canal Street. We loved it there. Tuesday nights were Pasta Bar night. All you can eat for like $12. You pick the pasta, the toppings, etc. and they whip it up right in front of you. Really good. They had a filet Mignon that was really good and our favorite was teriyaki chicken breasts. To this day I have never seen chicken breasts this big. We joked that being so close to the base they were probably nuclear fed chickens, but I still have not ever seen anything like it.
My mom ran a dressmaking and alterations place just up the street on Canal In the 70’s and 80’s. When I was in high school, and just after that, that location was a restaurant with dinner and a movie. The bar stayed open during the movie. I remember going to see Harold and Maude. I don’t remember actually seeing the movie.

Reaction Score
Prior to my mom getting sick, which eventually led to her passing away 18 months ago our family Sunday dinners were filled with food. Everyone was welcomed to bring guests. And, there was enough leftovers to feed the family for a couple of days afterwards. Yes, those days are missed.

At one time restaurants in our state used to give to you a pound of pasta with whatever sauce that you wanted for around $12.95. Nowadays that isn't the norm anymore. I go out and order pasta and barely get enough now to fill my gut for $18.95 or more.

Are there any of these Italian restaurants left around? If so, whom gives you the most Pasta for your Buck?

Looking forward to input. I live in the middle of the state so driving somewhere to try out shouldn't be an issue.

Chow!
They are all scrimpers now. Even the "one pound" boxes you buy at the supermarket are often shorted ( in my opinion ). But in a restaurant, you get about six fork fulls. I am often tempted to bring my own one pint box to a restaurant and say...here..."cook this for me and charge your normal price for the meal. " Why not? The ingredients are now at zero cost to them, and they have to boil the water anyway.

Reaction Score
I ate way too much pasta growing up. I remember it as 5 days a week. Not the best diet and almost everyone has diverticulitis.

My no frills pasta is De Cecco, but I like the imported specialty options too. It’s also easy to make your own. This is my favorite recipe Serious Eats Pasta Lab

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of Pasta, there is Marcella Hazan's famous, wonderful and simple
three ingredient pastas sauce:
Tomatoes
Butter
and an onion
Put em together, simmer for an hour
toss the onion (or not).
Wunderbar!

Reaction Score
Head down to Groton City, 95N right after the Gold Star Bridge and hit up Paul's Pasta. They make their own pasta, and will cut it any way you want it(Fettucine, Linguine, Capellini, Pappardelle). As of right now, they are only doing curbside pick up, but you can order fresh pasta(5 or 6 different flavors). I used to get them for my Mom and Dad and pack their freezer. Trust me. The sauces and salads are to die for.
Good call! Paul's is really excellent! Hidden treasure down this way!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have heard that a restaurant in Westbrook called The Log Cabin Restaurant gives out huge portions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have heard that a restaurant in Westbrook called The Log Cabin Restaurant gives out huge portions.
Confirmed. Their chicken parm with pasta is an enormous portion. Used to be able to feed my wife and me and two small kids with one order.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pellicci's is a long-standing authentic family restaurant in the old south end West Side of Stamford.
ftfy. It's on Stillwater Rd.

The South End is where Half Full Brewery and Harbor Landing are... south of I95.

Up until the 80s, there was an even better place just up the street from Pellicci's called The Open Door. Kitchen full of nanas. Was really like eating at your Italian aunt's house. Sadly closed, as did the Brass Rail, which had pizzas I felt were better than Pellicci's.

Reaction Score
ftfy. It's on Stillwater Rd.

The South End is where Half Full Brewery and Harbor Landing are... south of I95.

Up until the 80s, there was an even better place just up the street from Pellicci's called The Open Door. Kitchen full of nanas. Was really like eating at your Italian aunt's house. Sadly closed, as did the Brass Rail, which had pizzas I felt were better than Pellicci's.
I stand corrected Thank you. Been there lately? I live in Sarasota now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I stand corrected Thank you. Been there lately? I live in Sarasota now.
Nope. Been in Pittsburgh the last 20 years and if I have pizza while visiting CT, it's either Wooster St or Colony.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joey Garlic's is known for big portion while still being pretty good.
Came across a gift card and took my own advice. Can't recommend.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They are all scrimpers now. Even the "one pound" boxes you buy at the supermarket are often shorted ( in my opinion ). But in a restaurant, you get about six fork fulls. I am often tempted to bring my own one pint box to a restaurant and say...here..."cook this for me and charge your normal price for the meal. " Why not? The ingredients are now at zero cost to them, and they have to boil the water anyway.
Speaking of supermarket pasta... seems like people have become too weak to break their spaghetti in half for a small pot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Speaking of supermarket pasta... seems like people have become too weak to break their spaghetti in half for a small pot.
Just saw Scott Conant gig a guy on Chopped for breaking his pasta in half.

Reaction Score
The vodka sauce from First and Last.

also, as a rule, @CTMike should be cc’d on all threads such as these

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The vodka sauce from First and Last.

also, as a rule, @CTMike should be cc’d on all threads such as these
Ehhh if it’s not my moms or nonna’s (RIP) I’m super picky about Italian food, so not gonna be a great resource on this specific topic. I think most Italian restaurants are pretty bad, with a handful of bright spots/gems.

Bang for the buck, Joey Garlic’s is hard to beat. Always plenty of leftovers from there

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have not encountered this problem. I continue to get roughly three portions anytime I order any red sauce based pasta dish or chicken parm. Unfortunately I usually eat half, which is still too much.

I am sure it's blasphemy but if portion size is a concern, Olive Garden isn't going to short you. It may not be good, but that's a different issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom