OT Marquette's Vander Blue NBA bound! | The Boneyard

OT Marquette's Vander Blue NBA bound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This school has more to lose than any other Catholic school over the next several years. After being dormant for a few decades, they woke up after being added to the BE. They an slip again as the high level of talent may drop. I see Villanova maintaining because of a good recruiting base in Philly, and G'town is a national name, but schools like Marquette may have a tougher road.

Reaction Score
Marq made the Final 4 as a CUSA team with Wade, they woke up before coming to the BE. As long as Buzz is there I don't see them sliding, they've lost a ton of guys to either the NBA or overseas the past 5 years or so and they haven't missed a beat.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Marq will get 15,000 a night no matter what. They own the town more than the Bucks. They'll be alright.

Reaction Score
Marq made the Final 4 as a CUSA team with Wade, they woke up before coming to the BE. As long as Buzz is there I don't see them sliding, they've lost a ton of guys to either the NBA or overseas the past 5 years or so and they haven't missed a beat.

Prior to that, they were dead. Hard to distinguish them from DePaul.

Reaction Score
Prior to that, they were dead. Hard to distinguish them from DePaul.

Ok, but you were wrong about them not being relevant before entering the BE. They'll be fine with Buzz.

Reaction Score
Ok, but you were wrong about them not being relevant before entering the BE. They'll be fine with Buzz.

I don't know--I expect more for a program to be relevant. You have to do it more than once; they did it the year before they joined the BE. It goes without saying that I believe that conference won't be as good as many of you think. If you read the Georgetown board, there are lots of posters there that think as I do.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, we have only won in the Big East. And they are staying in the Big East. We are in the AAC as sickening as it is to type that.

Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, we have only won in the Big East. And they are staying in the Big East. We are in the AAC as sickening as it is to type that.

The Big East is dead. The conference that used to be the Big East now includes Tulsa and Tulane. These are the facts we're dealing with.

I have confidence in UConn. I have confidence in Ollie.

Reaction Score
Yes, we are. We are UConn.

Oh c'mon. I get homerism but you take it to an absurd level. I'm waiting on your explanation as to how UConn's recruiting class is light years better than Kentucky's.

Reaction Score
Oh c'mon. I get homerism but you take it to an absurd level. I'm waiting on your explanation as to how UConn's recruiting class is light years better than Kentucky's.

Yeah, it's just stupid for me to think that 3-time NCAA champ UConn has less to worry about then the Catholics. How dumb can I be? Wish we were Marquette instead.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
The Big East is dead. The conference that used to be the Big East now includes Tulsa and Tulane. These are the facts we're dealing with.

I have confidence in UConn. I have confidence in Ollie.

Exactly my point. They left with Georgetown, 'Nova, etc. We left with Tulsa, Tulane, etc. To say we don't have any more to worry about than them is silly. I trust Ollie and UConn as well. But all is not peachy in Storrs when compared to Marquette.

Reaction Score
I'm just curious as to why no one has commented on the probability, which I believe is about zero, of him being drafted.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. They left with Georgetown, 'Nova, etc. We left with Tulsa, Tulane, etc. To say we don't have any more to worry about than them is silly. I trust Ollie and UConn as well. But all is not peachy in Storrs when compared to Marquette.

Exactly your point? The point was the BE doesn't exist any more. The top team in that conference made one final 8 in 2 decades!!!! That's good?

You're too pessimistic. They left with a lot of crud too. We'll go on with Memphis, Cincy and Temple. The idea that UConn is in bad position compared to Marquette is off kilter.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Exactly your point? The point was the BE doesn't exist any more. The top team in that conference made one final 8 in 2 decades!!!! That's good?

You're too pessimistic. They left with a lot of crud too. We'll go on with Memphis, Cincy and Temple. The idea that UConn is in bad position compared to Marquette is off kilter.

Then why leave them out of your original point, and include Tulsa and Tulane? Your point was that the Big East does not exist. The truth is, while it is not what it once was, The Big East does in fact still exist. We are in a conference that never existed before. And it includes Tulsa and Tulane, just like you said. I am not being pessimistic in that I trust Ollie, and Calhoun won't let us fail. BUT, if we are comparing where teams were before they entered the Big East - which was where you started with this - it's tough to simply pound our chests and say, "We are UConn." Our past speaks for itself, but until we find a new home, we have as much to prove as they do going forward.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's just stupid for me to think that 3-time NCAA champ UConn has less to worry about then the Catholics. How dumb can I be? Wish we were Marquette instead.

Yeah, it is pretty stupid. But it's what's to be expected from you: a complete rejection of the idea that any school could be better positioned than UConn in anything whatsoever.

I suppose the university of san francisco is better positioned too, given those two national championships they won back in '55 and '56. Marquette has a good coach who manages to consistently overachieve. They were at the top of the big east last year, and have a potential conference player of the year coming back in Davonte Gardner. Their incoming recruiting class is demonstrably better than UConn's. On the other hand, "we are UConn."

Reaction Score
Then why leave them out of your original point, and include Tulsa and Tulane?

I thought my point was obvious. The old Big East morphed into AAC. The Catholics are a whole other thing. The old BE now includes Tulsa and Tulane. In other words, it doesn't exist.

Your point was that the Big East does not exist. The truth is, while it is not what it once was, The Big East does in fact still exist.

No, it doesn't exist. They are no more BE than we are.

We are in a conference that never existed before.

And neither did theirs!!!

And it includes Tulsa and Tulane, just like you said. I am not being pessimistic in that I trust Ollie, and Calhoun won't let us fail. BUT, if we are comparing where teams were before they entered the Big East - which was where you started with this - it's tough to simply pound our chests and say, "We are UConn." Our past speaks for itself, but until we find a new home, we have as much to prove as they do going forward.

You are way too pessimistic.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it is pretty stupid. But it's what's to be expected from you: a complete rejection of the idea that any school could be better positioned than UConn in anything whatsoever.

I suppose the university of san francisco is better positioned too, given those two national championships they won back in '55 and '56. Marquette has a good coach who manages to consistently overachieve. They were at the top of the big east last year, and have a potential conference player of the year coming back in Davonte Gardner. Their incoming recruiting class is demonstrably better than UConn's. On the other hand, "we are UConn."

UConn is San Francisco. And I'm stupid. ROFL!

What a moron. Can you be more moronic? No.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I thought my point was obvious. The old Big East morphed into AAC. The Catholics are a whole other thing. The old BE now includes Tulsa and Tulane. In other words, it doesn't exist.

No, it doesn't exist. They are no more BE than we are.

And neither did theirs!!!

You are way too pessimistic.

You contradict yourself. If they are no more Big East than we are, then we are no more AAC than they are. The "whole other thing" is still called the Big East. The the old BE now the AAC... and includes Tulsa and Tulane. How is it any better than the Catholic league in basketball? We should be fine. But so should Marquette.

Reaction Score
You contradict yourself. If they are no more Big East than we are, then we are no more AAC than they are. The "whole other thing" is still called the Big East. The the old BE now the AAC... and includes Tulsa and Tulane. How is it any better than the Catholic league in basketball? We should be fine. But so should Marquette.

I didn't say our conference is better than theirs. Both conferences are a huge step down from the BE. Neither is the BE. I don't see any contradiction there at all. What contradiction.

Do I think several Catholic schools have more to worry about than UConn? Yes. Go read the Georgetown board if you want to see worried people. UConn, by virtue of being UConn, is much better positioned.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I didn't say our conference is better than theirs. Both conferences are a huge step down from the BE. Neither is the BE. I don't see any contradiction there at all. What contradiction.

Do I think several Catholic schools have more to worry about than UConn? Yes. Go read the Georgetown board if you want to see worried people. UConn, by virtue of being UConn, is much better positioned.

But we developed that cache while being a member of the Big East.

Your point was that Marquette was nothing before their success in the Big East, but now that they are not in the "Bi East," they have more to lose than most.

We too developed this cache, or ability to say, "We are UConn," while playing in the Big East. And like you said, we are also no longer in the Big East - we play Tulsa and Tulane.

A = B; B = C; yet A does not = C?

Reaction Score
But we developed that cache while being a member of the Big East.

Your point was that Marquette was nothing before their success in the Big East, but now that they are not in the "Bi East," they have more to lose than most.

We too developed this cache, or ability to say, "We are UConn," while playing in the Big East. And like you said, we are also no longer in the Big East - we play Tulsa and Tulane.

A = B; B = C; yet A does not = C?

There's a huge difference between UConn and Marquette. Huge.

Reaction Score

I generally enjoy your posts, but c'mon - ask 100 casual college basketball fans to pick the better basketball program between UConn and Marquette, and 90 of them will pick UConn. Yes, UConn's conference situation is undoubtedly concerning, but it isn't as if Marquette's in the B1G - they're one of a handful of teams in their conference that has been nationally relevent over the last decade along with Nova, Georgetown, and Butler. UConn's in a league with Temple, Memphis, and Cincy. Oh yeah, and UConn's about one CR move away - whether it be Virginia to the B1G, Clemson and Miami to the Big 12, whatever - from becoming one of the ACC's primary options. I'm just not sure how in your mind, Marquette being in a marginally better league offsets the massive advantages UConn has (recent success, the existance of a half-decent football program, 14 players in the NBA, etc.) in terms of future positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom