OT; Looking for good used car for step-son in Hartford | The Boneyard

OT; Looking for good used car for step-son in Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hey all; Am looking for something along the lines of a Camry, Carolla, Accord or Civic. Condition more important than age, and would like to keep it under $8k if possible. If you have anything along these lines to get rid of, please message me. Thanks.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hey all; Am looking for something along the lines of a Camry, Carolla, Accord or Civic. Condition more important than age, and would like to keep it under $8k if possible. If you have anything along these lines to get rid of, please message me. Thanks.
Suburu, Nissan, Lexus, and the like also considered. Need something as indestructible as possible. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Have you tried Craiglist? I just bought my youngest son's car listed there, a 2005 Nissan Sentra in very good shape for $3800. We got our oldest son's car off Craigslist too, a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, also in very good shape, for $3200.

Craigslist

Just a comment - be aware of crazy prices like $4254 or $3873. They're usually some kind of scam.

G

genosguy

Look to any of the "40 thieves " as they were once known, in East Hartford.

G

genosguy

Look to any of the "40 thieves " as they were once known, in East Hartford.

Reaction Score
ELZ - any luck on this yet? Might have news on Lexus which seems to fit your description. PM if wish.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Have you tried Craiglist? I just bought my youngest son's car listed there, a 2005 Nissan Sentra in very good shape for $3800. We got our oldest son's car off Craigslist too, a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, also in very good shape, for $3200.

Craigslist

Just a comment - be aware of crazy prices like $4254 or $3873. They're usually some kind of scam.

I'd second Hyundai. In the last 5 years or so, they've put out some really good cars. One step down from a Sonata is the Elantra. It's sort of the Corolla equivalent. I own a 2012, and did a ton of research on it prior to purchasing. Love the car.

Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We bought 2 used cars over the years, one through a well known and very large (at the time) used car dealer in northern NJ and one through a local Ford dealer. Both were low mileage, no more than 2 years old, and both lasted forever.

I do think where you get used cars can matter, I don't always trust individuals, having known a few lemon salesmen in my time.

Reaction Score
Just got a new Lexus. Selling my old one, a 2004 LS430 with 220,000 miles in fantastic condition. I'm only owner. Great body, can't hear engine. Runs as sweet as Moriah. Asking 6 1/2K. It'll easily do another 100K miles. For a fellow Huskyfan, I'd drive it up to buyer.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Thanks all. We have been working Craigslist pretty hard. Thought we had a nice 06 low mileage Hyundai located, but the seller refused to let us take it to be checked by a mechanic so bye bye. Agree about Hyundais; they are all over the place down her in Guatemala, and Consumer Reports gives them genarally favorable ratings. So we are still looking. I try to stay from dealers on the theory that 1) they are at least as likely to be scam artists as are owners and 2) their prices are about 50% higher.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
ELZ - any luck on this yet? Might have news on Lexus which seems to fit your description. PM if wish.
Check your PM

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks all. We have been working Craigslist pretty hard. Thought we had a nice 06 low mileage Hyundai located, but the seller refused to let us take it to be checked by a mechanic so bye bye. Agree about Hyundais; they are all over the place down her in Guatemala, and Consumer Reports gives them genarally favorable ratings. So we are still looking. I try to stay from dealers on the theory that 1) they are at least as likely to be scam artists as are owners and 2) their prices are about 50% higher.
My husband and I had a string of Honda Accords through the years but when I was ready for a new car I wanted something new. I did look at the new Accord, the Camry, and similar cars and I was so happy with my son's Sonata I decided to look at one as well. i ended up gatting a Sonata in December and so far I love it. I do recommend Hyundais for anyone looking for cars.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My wife and I swear by Toyotas.

I drove a 99 Camry for 12 years and put 223k on it. I drive a 4Runner now and will buy another once this one (2008, just pasted 103k miles...mostly highway) S's the bed. My wife drives a 2004 Corolla S with about 166K miles, but just had a small fender bender. If it's totaled, we are looking at RAV4's for her. If it's not totaled, it should go another 100k miles, easy. Can't go wrong with a Toyota, and by extension, a Lexus, which is just a high end Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom