OT: Levon Helm, drummer and singer of the Band | The Boneyard

OT: Levon Helm, drummer and singer of the Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gave a bit of a southern feel to the Band. Great band; sorry only 2 of the 5 are still alive

Reaction Score
some great music, one of the guys had a house in the catskills and once a month ask locals to drink and play music. a friend was invited and said it was great fun.

Reaction Score
I saw the Band live at 25th anniversary Woodstock festival in 1994 and went to a midnight ramble about 6 years ago.

Great music, good times indeed.

His presence in that area will be sorely missed.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Im still incredibly saddened by this, even though we knew out was coming.

I want to take my generation, make them watch YouTube videos of The Band and scream "DO MORE OF THIS".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Im still incredibly saddened by this, even though we knew out was coming.

I want to take my generation, make them watch YouTube videos of The Band and scream "DO MORE OF THIS".

I think you just like to memorialize dead people.

A high point and low point for Helm...one time, we saw The Band open for the Spin Doctors at a free concert on the Poughkeepsie waterfront. It was essentially at a fair and the crowd really just wanted The Band to wrap it up.

A high point was seeing Helm at one of his midnight rambles at his home in Woodstock. He had a big bad comeback over the past years.

Reaction Score

A high point and low point for Helm...one time, we saw The Band open for the Spin Doctors at a free concert on the Poughkeepsie waterfront. It was essentially at a fair and the crowd really just wanted The Band to wrap it up.

A high point was seeing Helm at one of his midnight rambles at his home in Woodstock. He had a big bad comeback over the past years.

thank god the spin doctors where free... was the beer free? did the band put on a good set...?

yes I say spin doctors, screaming trees,and soul asylum in new haven with headliners stone temple pilots

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The music was free, the beer was not.

I gotta be honest, the whole night is rather hazy - we used to head up to Lake Minnewaska to mountain bike and then stop in New Paltz to drink before heading back across the Hudson. By the time we'd get to Riverfest, we were generally toasted.

I actually though the Spin Doctors were pretty good. The Band was rather sad if only because they were clearly an afterthought and really not playing to their crowd. Contrast that to Helms' shows at his place in Woodstock where he was the attraction - they were rather nice.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Midnight Rambles were great, except that their entire existence was based on the fact that Helm needed to pay his massive medical debts.

Reaction Score

I gotta be honest, the whole night is rather hazy - we used to head up to Lake Minnewaska to mountain bike and then stop in New Paltz to drink before heading back across the Hudson. By the time we'd get to Riverfest, we were generally toasted.

I actually though the Spin Doctors were pretty good. The Band was rather sad if only because they were clearly an afterthought and really not playing to their crowd. Contrast that to Helms' shows at his place in Woodstock where he was the attraction - they were rather nice.

wait looking back I think I paid to see spin doctors atleast four times. they opened for Phish a few times and possible blues travelers

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They definitely opened for Blues Traveler - John Popper basically was in the Spin Doctors before they became the Spin Doctors. He left for Blues Traveler and the Spin Doctor peeps added some other peeps and became the Spin Doctors. I think Popper and Chris Barron were in high school together or something like that.

Reaction Score
good friend of mine went to kent school in the early 90's and Blues Traveler played their xmas dance for 100 kids. Said they where the nicest guys.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

In this case at least, it's much more than that. This is a staggering loss imo. I went to five Rambles at his barn and saw him countless other times. There is a reason his passing is being covered by such a broad array of sources, with nothing but the highest praise coming from every source, from the most common people to the giants in the music world and elsewhere. More than any other musician--ever--Levon embodied the most essential element of the spirit of music: that it be shared and enjoyed with others. The years when the Band reformed after Robbie blew it up were not great years because the joy was missing, especially from Manuel (who hung himself on tour) and Danko (who essentially killed himself with drugs and alcohol). As Levon himself said, he wasn't made to be booed. He wanted nothing more than to share the music with people who enjoyed it, and he was exceedingly humble about the fact that his natural talent for making it was exceptional and unique. He was a wonderful man on many levels, and I am glad that he had such a resurgence in recent years. His impact on the music I love most is indelible.

Reaction Score

I think you and I must've crossed paths, of course not acknowledging each other.

I saw Spin Doctors on the Hudson, too (I think it was the Clearwater festival?), maybe around 1991/92? I don't remember the Band though. I thought the Spin Doctors were awesome and bought their album that same day.

My friends and I used to go to Minnewaska all the time, or just go to New Paltz or Woodstock to hang out.

The Midnight Ramble was great fun- it's just a short distance from my parent's house. I kinda wish I had gone more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom