OT Grills | The Boneyard

OT Grills

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m a propane guy. Don’t want to hear that charcoal is better, because it may be, but it’s too much of a pain for me to bother with it. I just don’t have that kind of time.

So I decided it’s time to replace my almost 15 year old Weber Genesis Silver B. It’s served me well over those years, and I’ve replaced several parts, flavorizer bars, ignitor and other things. But now the overall grill is just past it’s prime. Maybe I’ll bring it up to Vermont.

So what should replace it? The Weber Genesis II S-310 is the early leader, but I’m open to suggestions. I like that the burners are now side to side not front to back. That fixes my main complaint with the old one. Not sure if the extra $100 for stainless over enamel is well spent or not.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
When we moved to Florida, we gave our big Napolean to one of our sons. Really liked that one. It had an infrared burner. Purchased a 3 burner Weber Genisis down here. More than happy with its performance. Controlling the heat is easy and very good.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I’m a propane guy. Don’t want to hear that charcoal is better, because it may be, but it’s too much of a pain for me to bother with it. I just don’t have that kind of time.

So I decided it’s time to replace my almost 15 year old Weber Genesis Silver B. It’s served me well over those years, and I’ve replaced several parts, flavorizer bars, ignitor and other things. But now the overall grill is just past it’s prime. Maybe I’ll bring it up to Vermont.

So what should replace it? The Weber Genesis II S-310 is the early leader, but I’m open to suggestions. I like that the burners are now side to side not front to back. That fixes my main complaint with the old one. Not sure if the extra $100 for stainless over enamel is well spent or not.
I’m still using an old genesis gold, when the time comes I would opt for ceramic over steel for easier cleaning. I do recommend grillgrates, got some last year to lay on top of failing stainless grates and it really upgraded the cooking experience while minimizing flare ups.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m still using an old genesis gold, when the time comes I would opt for ceramic over steel for easier cleaning. I do recommend grillgrates, got some last year to lay on top of failing stainless grates and it really upgraded the cooking experience while minimizing flare ups.

Hmmm...I have enamel and was thinking stainless would be easier to clean. Interesting. The stainless grates are narrower, it’s hard to get between the cast iron enamel grates. I don’t care about the lid really.

Reaction Score

Weber costs more but they are easy to start and the parts are available. Most people buy the big models like their cooking for an army but the small ones are plenty for a decent sized group.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hmmm...I have enamel and was thinking stainless would be easier to clean. Interesting. The stainless grates are narrower, it’s hard to get between the cast iron enamel grates. I don’t care about the lid really.
I thought you were talking about lid cleaning. Most of what I've read on-line shows that stainless grates are easier too clean, never rust, and get plenty hot as compared to the ceramic coated iron ones. The grill grates I mentioned are high quality aluminum that can either entirely replace existing grates or be placed right on top.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Or a Kamado Joe. I have a beautiful Weber Genesis that I now use to hold the accessories for my Kamado Joe.

The charcoal is simple and the food is outstanding.
A kamado Joe is essentially the same grill

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Big Green Egg.

The convenience of gas with the quality of charcoal.

I’ll look into it. Have heard of them but haven’t checked them out.

Looking at the GrillGrates @TRest suggested as well. Those look good. By the way, I think the enamel lid and stainless inside combo is the way to on the Genesis.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
You a burger, dog, steak guy or a ribs, brisket, pulled pork guy? You a hang out drink a 6 rack of busch light while pretending to work around the yard guy or a hire out the mowing and painting guy?

Answer the first in both youre a propane guy.

Split em either way and youre a komodo/egg combo charcoal/propane guy.

Answer the latter in both and youd love a good charcoal/wood smoker.

Reaction Score
I have a Genesis Silver too, almost as old. I think the ceramic grates beat the sterling because they are fatter, and though they do what you want for grill marks and flavor, don't get quite as hot as stainless which tends to make really dark marks compared to the amount of cooking of the rest of the food. If you can, get a cheap charcoal grill too, even if its a tabletop, grab a 2 pack of Kingsford when Depot/Lowes have them on sale soon for $10 or so in a few weeks. This way when you have the time, you can have a charcoal grilled steak or burger...man, thats good food.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IMG951132.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You a burger, dog, steak guy or a ribs, brisket, pulled pork guy? You a hang out drink a 6 rack of busch light while pretending to work around the yard guy or a hire out the mowing and painting guy?

Answer the first in both youre a propane guy.

Split em either way and youre a komodo/egg combo charcoal/propane guy.

Answer the latter in both and youd love a good charcoal/wood smoker.

90% of the time, burgers, steaks, hot dogs, and assorted veggies like squash or asparagus I prefer grilled.

But...I bought a dedicated electric smoker late last summer. I’m not good with it yet, but I do like to do the ribs, Pork butt, brisket or smoked turkey. Planning to up my game with it this year.

After looking into it, I kind of wish I got a cheaper Kamado to do the smoking, but it can’t really replace the propane grill the way I use it. So I’ll probably get the Weber. The Napoleon with the IR sear capability on the side looks nice too. Hear they aren’t nearly as durable though.

As to the other stuff....I drink good beer (often from Trillium) while grilling. I used to do most yard work, now I pay landscapers to mow and edge. But I still use chainsaws, backpack blowers and so on. Chainsaw is going to get some use soon thanks to that damned storm last week.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Or a Kamado Joe. I have a beautiful Weber Genesis that I now use to hold the accessories for my Kamado Joe.

The charcoal is simple and the food is outstanding.

I've been rocking a Char-Broil Akorn for the past 2 years and love it -- same concept as a Kamado Joe or Brig Green Egg (with lesser build quality), but hard to beat at its price point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have a Genesis Silver too, almost as old. I think the ceramic grates beat the sterling because they are fatter, and though they do what you want for grill marks and flavor, don't get quite as hot as stainless which tends to make really dark marks compared to the amount of cooking of the rest of the food. If you can, get a cheap charcoal grill too, even if its a tabletop, grab a 2 pack of Kingsford when Depot/Lowes have them on sale soon for $10 or so in a few weeks. This way when you have the time, you can have a charcoal grilled steak or burger...man, thats good food.

I thought that too. Then this research project took me to Amazimgribs.com. They make a convincing case that you want more space, thinner grates, or the grillgrates. I think I’ll buy the grillgrates and turn part of them upside down. That would be ideal for fish or veggies.

I had a charcoal Weber up at our Vermont house (mice kept building nests in the gas grill). Then a bear killed the Weber. I mean that literally. I sucked cooking on that thing. Have no understanding of charcoal heat, and I lose burgers down the stupid openings on the sides of the grates.

Reaction Score
If you're a propane guy just stick with the Weber. Interchangeable parts increase its useful life.

I love my Big Green Egg, but I still keep a Weber Genesis Silver next to it for those nights when I get home from work and need to grill something quickly. For grilling, getting the Egg ready is at least a 20 minute process, and is often 30-35.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you're a propane guy just stick with the Weber. Interchangeable parts increase its useful life.

I love my Big Green Egg, but I still keep a Weber Genesis Silver next to it for those nights when I get home from work and need to grill something quickly. For grilling, getting the Egg ready is at least a 20 minute process, and is often 30-35.
Yep, have collected the Genesis for convenience, a Weber kettle for makeshift bbq and when I have time to do a steak right. Picked up a used WSM a couple of years ago but except for capacity I can smoke ribs or a butt just as well on the kettle. Grill grates on the kettle also work well.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score

Get the Woodwind Pellet Grill with the Sear Box, by Camp Chef. It'll be the best $900 you ever spent. I have a big Weber gas grill that sits unused now except for the occasional Hummell or Keilbasa. I was going to give it to my Son in Law but after he ate from the pellet grill, he bought one himself. Cook low and slow over wood and finish on the propane sear box. Best of both worlds! It takes a bit longer but it IS worth it.

BTW, I haven't tried anything off of the Amazing Ribs website that hasn't been spectacular.

Reaction Score
Go get a Weber kettle. Charcoal has an incorrect reputation for being time-consuming and difficult when compared to gas. Wrong. Get a chimney, and that charcoal is EASY to light up and will be ready to go within 20-30 minutes.

Reaction Score

Learn how to use indirect heat with charcoal. It will be worth if.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Learn how to use indirect heat with charcoal. It will be worth if.

I don't really like regular charcoal. I don't think it adds anything. The real lump charcoal used in the Kamado's sounded interesting. But the guy at Amazing Ribs said that when cooking a burger or steak for 5-10 minutes charcoal adds nothing to flavor. I tend to agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom