OT: Gregg Allman Dies at 69 | The Boneyard

OT: Gregg Allman Dies at 69

Reaction Score
Gregg Allman, the soulful singer-songwriter and rock n' blues pioneer who founded The Allman Brothers Band with his late brother, Duane, and composed such classics as "Midnight Rider," "Melissa" and the epic concert jam "Whipping Post," has died at age 69, Billboard has learned. He was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1999 and underwent a liver transplant in 2010.

He "passed away peacefully at his home in Savannah, Georgia," according to a statement on Gregg Allman's official website, noting that the family planned to release a statement soon. "Gregg struggled with many health issues over the past several years. During that time, Gregg considered being on the road playing music with his brothers and solo band for his beloved fans, essential medicine for his soul. Playing music lifted him up and kept him going during the toughest of times."

Gregg’s longtime manager and close friend Michael Lehman said, “I have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a brilliant pioneer in music. He was a kind and gentle soul with the best laugh I ever heard. His love for his family and bandmates was passionate as was the love he had for his extraordinary fans. Gregg was an incredible partner and an even better friend. We will all miss him.”

With his long blond hair, cool facade and songs that chronicled restless, wounded lives, Allman came to personify the sexy, hard-living rock outlaw in a life marked by musical triumph and calamitous loss.

Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The first time I saw The Allman Brothers was at the Fillmore East. The show was being recorded by WNET here in NY. It was never broadcast, but their funding dropped the ticket prices to $2.50 GA. The bands that played, as I recall, were The Byrds, Rhinoceros, The Flock, Van Morrison and the Allman Brothers. Elvin Bishop and others may have taken the stage as well, but, well as Wavvy Gravvy said, if you remember the 70's you weren't really there. Before they came on my friend turned to me to say, and I quote, "Wait until you hear these guys. Their lead singer looks like a chick and sounds like he's 50 years old". I subsequently saw them 2x more before Duane died and once after. They never disappointed. The only acts I ever paid to see as much were Jimi Hendrix, Santana (once with John McLaughlin) and The Mahavishnu Orchestra. Now the only remaining original member is Jaimoe. One of the great live rock/blues bands. RIP Greg, you've earned it.

Reaction Score

Thanks Kaizen...My all time fave from Gregg...While I appreciate the OP it is hard to like an obit..........:(
Again this follow up is nice...He may have been no angel but heaven has another in one hell of a band!

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let me go back on my statement. Dickey Betts still thrives. Sorry Dickey. Keep on keepin' on.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
He had a turbulent life, lost too many too young who were close to him. I hope he found peace before he passed.

The Allmans' continuing popularity has been amazing -- I think they're as popular with kids in their 20's these days as they are with old farts like me. Best jam band ever.

Reaction Score
He had a turbulent life, lost too many too young who were close to him. I hope he found peace before he passed.

The Allmans' continuing popularity has been amazing -- I think they're as popular with kids in their 20's these days as they are with old farts like me. Best jam band ever.
I was in Cleveland on business once and ended up in the hotel bar trading tequila shots with Derek Trucks. This was in the '90's when he was playing lead guitar for the Allman Brothers. I looked it up later and found out he wasn't born until after Duane had died. They were big for a LONG time. RIP Gregg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was in Cleveland on business once and ended up in the hotel bar trading tequila shots with Derek Trucks. This was in the '90's when he was playing lead guitar for the Allman Brothers. I looked it up later and found out he wasn't born until after Duane had died. They were big for a LONG time. RIP Gregg

Amazing when a band has second-generation members, eh?

Also to JordyG, I hadn't realized Butch Trucks had passed away till I saw your post. Earlier this year, also at 69. (No tears emoticon?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom