OT: General knowledge test #514A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #514A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please be thorough and clear, especially not settling for initials. Do no research, nor hit "reply".

1..What has just occurred in Taorima, Italy?

2..Only guy to win the so-called triple crown of motorsports?

3..Over 200 folks are dead/missing from floods/mudslides the past few days in..?

4.."Like the trembling heart of a captive bird.."(finish the line and ID.)

5..States without a minimum age for marriage: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 or over 25.

6..What was the Thrilla in Manila?

7..Why has the Asian game "Go" been in the news?

8..Which Prez dedicated the Brooklyn Bridge?

9..In 1935 was the first MLB game played at night where?

10..Whose Supreme Court was the 1st in Asia to decide gay marriage was OK.

11.."Have I been blind? Have I been lost inside myself & my own mind?"

12..Where in Europe is there a King Phillippe?

13..Which team just won the national championship in tennis over Stanford?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
6. The final Ali-Frazier fight, epic in fierceness and energy expended. Both fighters were utterly spent at the end.
10. The Philippines, I think

Reaction Score
1..G7 Summit

3..Phillipines

6.. Joe Frazier v. Muhammed Ali (Was this the one where Frazier broke Ali's jaw?)

8..Chester Arthur ?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..G7 summit

3..Sri Lanka

5..I'd like to think four.

6..The third Ali-Frazier fight.

7..A computer recently defeated a grand master

8..Cleveland?

9..The Polo Grounds?

13..I dunno, but the University of Maryland women's lacrosse team just won their third title in four years.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
5. Over 25. If I recall correctly, the exact answer is 27. This question proves once again that you and I both read the New York Times. The article in question is scary indeed, with examples of girls as young as 10 being forced into marriage -- not in some distant impoverished land but right here in the United States.
9. I believe the answer is Cincinnati.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1..Most recent G7 Summit

2..Graham Hill won the triple crown of motorsport: 24 Hours of Le Mans, Indianapolis 500, and the Monaco Grand Prix, however, A. J. Foyt, my personal favorite, won the grand slam+ of racing: Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring, and 24 Hours of Daytona. I don’t recall Foyt ever racing in the Monaco Grand Prix. Admittedly, it could be denial.

5..I am sure every UCONN fan mentally said Tennessee! All states have a minimum age for marriage without parental consent and no pregnancy. If there is a pregnancy I think parental consent is required and there is some kind of legal hoop(s) to jump through. At least I hope so. Since there are enough wack job parents out there. No clear cut answer.

6..The last boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. Eddie Futch, Frazier’s trainer, over Frazier’s protests, ended the fight after the 14th round. If he did not do this I think Frazier would have suffered Ali’s mental fate.

7..Google’s AI system defeated the 2nd best human GO player in the world. Who is ...??? Alas, I don't know.

9..Crosley Field in Cincinnati

13..You must mean Florida. The national championship in tennis was won by Virginia, the men’s team.

Reaction Score
8. I don't think Garfield lived long enough, so I'll go with Chester A. Arthur.

Reaction Score
1. The G7 Summitt [mod edit]
2. Mario Andretti
2. Elio Castroneves(sp?)
3. California
5. 4
6. The third of three classic heavyweight title fights between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. It was fought in Manila back when championship bouts went 15 rounds.
8. Grover Cleveland
8. Benjamin Harrison
9. Wrigley Field(joking, of course). My guess is Crosley Field in Cincinatti.
12. Luxemborg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
6.. Joe Frazier v. Muhammed Ali (Was this the one where Frazier broke Ali's jaw?)

I believe it was Ken Norton who broke Ali's jaw in their first fight. Frazier knocked Ali down with a vicious left hook in their first classic battle in MSG. Ali got right back up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom