OT: General knowledge test #513A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #513A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please be thorough and clear. Do no research and do not hit "reply".

1..Each year the Orionid meteor shower begins in late..?.

2..Book author and actress for the 1962 film GYPSY?

3..Piltzer Price is for..?

4..Youngest to 150 home runs and 150 stolen bases?

5.."I introduced her to my loved one, and while they were dancing, my friend stole my sweetheart from me."

6..Africa's largest oil producer(?) took over from _______ early this year.

7.. [mod edit; politics]

8..In 1968 the nuclear sub ________ sank with 99 hands.

9..One can only see blue whales all year off the nation of..?

10..In 2011 a tornado damaged 8000 structures and killed more than 150 people in what Missouri place?

11..The weird saga of Rick Ankiel?

12..The contradictory definitions of "ego"?

13..Describe the Fyre Festival scam?

Last edited by a moderator:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
4. Ken Griffey Jr.?
8. Scorpion
11. St. Louis Cardinals pitcher of great promise, inexplicably lost the ability to throw strikes - I believe this first manifested itself during the playoffs, if not the World Series itself. And, we're not talking missing by a bit, but, rather a Bull Durham "hit the bull" sort of lack of control. Anyway, he successfully re-invented himself as a pretty decent hitting outfielder, and had a good career as such.

Reaction Score
1) June
2) Rosalind Russell
4) ARod
6) Lybia took the title from Nigeria
8) Scorpion
9) Australia
10) Joplin

Most of these are educated guesses. Lol

Last edited:

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
2. Gypsy Rose Lee, played in the movie by Natalie Wood.
4. Not sure, but I think the answer is Mike Trout.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1… Fall – very early October through very early November

2… Book author ??? Actress who plays Gypsy Rose Lee (I presume) was Natalie Wood

3… Piltzer Price is for anyone wants to buy a Piltzer Prize. The Pulitzer Prizes are for journalism and arts in several categories.

4… Mike Trout

8… USS Scorpion

9… One can only see blue whales all year off the nation of..? With a telescope? Blue whales typically live in the open ocean in deep waters not close to coastlines. They migrate to and from both poles for feeding and breeding. It must an island nation. I am going with Iceland.

10.. Joplin

11… Rick Ankiel was a great pitching prospect who was drafted by the Saint Louis Cardinals. His pitching career began just fine. He had a drop curve that rivaled Sandy Kofax’s. I know, heresy! Then he seemed to acquire the Steve Blass Syndrome. GPS could not help him find home plate. Being an excellent athlete he converted to an outfielder. It gets weirder. He had a rifle for an arm and could throw a strike to home plate from center field but not from the pitcher’s mound. He played for the Cardinals for 7-8 years then bounced around several MLB teams. He played at least a dozen years or so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5. "Tennessee Waltz", Patti Page?
I'm bummed I didn't know this.

For extra credit, name the actor and actress who danced to "Tennessee Waltz" in a 1980's academy award winning film?

Reaction Score
2. Rosalind Russell - Mama Lee
9. I actually read up on Blue Whales recently when one was in the news for some reason. As I remember there are several community groups primarily Atlantic Arctic, Pacific Arctic and Antarctic and a couple other I believe .... I would go back and forth on New Zealand and Chile so I think I will guess Chile

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..It's October, but late, Poor SVC is watching the skies for weeks.

2..You could use Rosalind or Natalie, as you did. For the playwright I give you Arthur L_______.

3..Smart-alec SVC caught my abominable spelling, though he missed the also abominable first word. I tried to ask about the PRITZKER.
Anybody?

4..Rbny, SVC & Game cite Mike Trout. Other suggestions are just fishy.

5..Drive and Big, last seen on Dancing with the Stars. Patti reports their steps as laughable.

6..Three of you mention Nigeria, formerly wearing the crown, but you missed the new champ. A_____.
VAUC invents a board game, where Russia is part of Africa. Go figure.

7..See Game & VAUC especially for detail.

8..Pinot, husky & SVC cite the Scorpion.

9.."So, I got my telescope, and I was promised blue whales."
"You may need a short boat ride, and stop calling my nation Ceylon. Where've you been?"
"Nobody said anything about a boat ride. Waaaaaaaah."

10..The K9 Quartet has Joplin.

11..I'll add to your fine detail by reporting he was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.

12..No one wants to tackle this? The info has been out there for a long time. Start with Freud.

13..Fyre Festival: A Timeline of Disaster

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
2. Arthur Laurents wrote the book for the musical Gypsy. But I believe it was based on the autobiography of Gypsy Rose Lee. So either answer should be acceptable - or at least I think it should be.
3. The Pritzker is an architectural award.

Reaction Score
2. Arthur Laurents wrote the book for the musical Gypsy. But I believe it was based on the autobiography of Gypsy Rose Lee. So either answer should be acceptable - or at least I think it should be.
Rosalind Russell was an author under a pen name, so I thought it was her.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

Both peachy keen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom